Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

hawaiianbrian

Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby hawaiianbrian » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:09 am

Following Deanna's lead, I'm starting this thread as a place where we can discuss the adventure Fires of Ra. If you spot any errors or discrepancies, need some clarification, or just want to weigh in on it, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

fougerec

Re: Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Part way through Act 2. It hits all the right notes for me for a Nile Adventure
► Show Spoiler
and that's in like 1.5 Acts!

My only issue is that my party has easy access to flight, TK and Mage Hands which means fine tuning
► Show Spoiler
but I've already got an idea. I like the set up to that so much it'd be a shame if my group didn't need to figure it out.

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah, I'd wondered about that last one, but I figured any equipment, spells, or natural abilities that can help you bypass a trap are fair game –– heck, that's one reason why we pick those kinds of characters.

But considering the magical basis, it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect the trap would still activate when it detects anything unusual happening without first passing the "puzzle."

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:43 pm

I think what I'm going to do is
► Show Spoiler
. That handles my flight, TK and Mage hands issues easily and still makes sense within the confines of the scene.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:48 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:
But considering the magical basis, it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect the trap would still activate when it detects anything unusual happening without first passing the "puzzle."

I like that idea...like the puzzle shuts off the
► Show Spoiler

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Good, yes, that's pretty much what I had in mind.

With this particular location, I tried to imagine what the original temple designers might do if their goal was to a) hide the artifact until such a time as it could be retrieved by the intended owner, and b) fool the inevitable tomb robbers into thinking they'd outwitted the temple and filched the artifact they came for. So it had to be solvable (to a land-bound Ord), but not too easy.

I always expect GMs to have to modify adventure material to suit the unique talents or problem-solving of their player characters. That's a lesson I learned running Pathfinder Adventure Paths. :)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Heh, my group put a bullet into Lady Hourglass' head since they had two run-ins with her already and were sick of her shit.

I've not read the adventure yet, but I'm sure that her return will be met with groans.

I'll have to consider how she returns. Perhaps a ritual where she comes back to life. Or maybe I'll go soap opera on them and have her sister take up the monocle and vow revenge on those who killed her sister. That sounds more satisfactory than having the same character return. I imagine that replacing her with a sister wouldn't change things too much in the story. Looking forward to reading through it, though it'll probably be much later since I'm going to run the Godbox as soon as I get my Living Lands cards.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:34 am

Wow, that's... final. :shock:

There's no reason you couldn't create some new villain to use in her place. There's plenty of room in the Retribution League. :)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 am

hawaiianbrian wrote:Wow, that's... final. :shock:

There's no reason you couldn't create some new villain to use in her place. There's plenty of room in the Retribution League. :)

Well, she had been vexing them throughout Pan Pacifica and Nile Empire while the Storm Knights were chasing after the oni blades, so their frustration with her was understandable. But they still left her body behind in a collapsing tomb, so you know…

Technically my group killed Hooded Cobra in Pan Pacifica, but he hadn't revealed his Nile persona yet, so they just know that they killed off a Nile villain who had dual electro-ray pistols and went by an assumed name. When I used them as rivals for the oni blades quest, I didn't realize they'd be used in the mega-adventure. But it's Nile, so it all works.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:52 am

hawaiianbrian wrote:Wow, that's... final. :shock:

Death is only the beginning...if you catch my drift.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”