Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:58 pm

mathey wrote:We have continued to enjoy the adventure a lot, but got a bit exhausted by the unrelenting pace and took a break to do some Pan-Pacifica missions.

We are on Act 6 and I get the impression from the group of "When will it end!!!" A couple of times I've had to remind them why they are doing what they are doing. They have now been playing this single scenario since I got the final PDFs. They haven't been able to play every week, but if we manage to finish a scene in a single night we are doing good.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

mathey

Postby mathey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
mathey wrote:We have continued to enjoy the adventure a lot, but got a bit exhausted by the unrelenting pace and took a break to do some Pan-Pacifica missions.

We are on Act 6 and I get the impression from the group of "When will it end!!!" A couple of times I've had to remind them why they are doing what they are doing. They have now been playing this single scenario since I got the final PDFs. They haven't been able to play every week, but if we manage to finish a scene in a single night we are doing good.

Yeah, it can be hard to get through these mega-adventures. We managed God Box in 4 sessions somehow - I seem to remember it taking it longer, but I did end up excising a few things to keep it moving. That one was very linear, too; pursue Malacryx, enter teleporter, pursue Malacryx, repeat. Fires of Ra has some railroad (more like roller coaster) sections but the sheer amount of action packed in there really took us a lot of time.

Its like visiting the best amusement park in the world and riding all the rides in rapid succession and being asked to go and ride some more after you're plain tuckered out. You want to do it, but you realize you need a break.

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Mathey — I enjoyed reading how things went down for your group in Zembiti. Happy to hear Killingsworth didn't take out any PCs! :lol:

No shame in taking a break between Acts in these mega-adventures. Just like in Relics of Power, there are some natural break spots between some of the acts, so groups can go elsewhere for a while before picking up the trail again.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Last night as my group approached the Mandjet in the Evening Falcon they decided to help the A29s (somewhat begrudgingly). Four Pakets managed to do 3 wounds to the Evening Falcon in one pass! We were very close to the adventure having a very ignominious end! Luckily they went first on the next round and managed to get behind the Aura of Aten before anything else could fire... but it was close!

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Finished the adventure last week finally, and of course my players wanted to be difficult and not do the chase scene with Mobius at the end. Instead since they all came specifically with parachutes they demolitioned the side of the bridge when the controls were destroyed and got sucked out into the high altitude and came down safely (even donating one of the parachutes to Lady Hourglass who they convinced to help them with a Romance destiny card and Star Crossed Lovers cosm card (plus the groundwork having been set up in a previous Act)). The character without a parachute easily survived a 50+ damage fall.

Overall my players enjoyed it but they said they liked the variety in Carredon more (though I then pointed out how each Act differed, I think it may have just been due to how long it took) and there was a complaint about too many chases, but I think that's more of a Nile Empire in general situation.

Sadly they didn't get to keep the Evening Falcon this way, but they have a rock solid alliance with the Amazons and even played a Return card to bring Dr. Frest back! (I said he came back as a masked hero and only their characters actually know it's him).

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:32 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:Sadly they didn't get to keep the Evening Falcon this way, but they have a rock solid alliance with the Amazons and even played a Return card to bring Dr. Frest back! (I said he came back as a masked hero and only their characters actually know it's him).

Nothing stops you from combining this with the canonical fate of Dr. Frest (in fact I partially hope my players do the same thing) - exciting!

Grae

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”