Living Land Stela 2 / Finding Champ

fuldry

Living Land Stela 2 / Finding Champ

Postby fuldry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am

https://www.ulisses-us.com/TorgEternity ... nd_Stela_2

As Added in the discussion page, I suggest Moving that Stelae closer to the lake to make Finding Champ easier to explain. A good spot could be somewhere in the Grand Isle State Park. Thus, the lake is partially Inside the living land, allowing the Edeinos to proceed with their ritual from within a Mixed Zone instead of a Pure Pure Earth zone...

I'am about to start my Campaign on day 30 with that adventure :)

TorgHacker

Re: Living Land Stela 2 / Finding Champ

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm

fuldry wrote:https://www.ulisses-us.com/TorgEternityWiki/index.php?title=Living_Land_Stela_2

As Added in the discussion page, I suggest Moving that Stelae closer to the lake to make Finding Champ easier to explain. A good spot could be somewhere in the Grand Isle State Park. Thus, the lake is partially Inside the living land, allowing the Edeinos to proceed with their ritual from within a Mixed Zone instead of a Pure Pure Earth zone...

I'am about to start my Campaign on day 30 with that adventure :)

That would then contradict the text of the adventure itself.

Regardless, Champ doesn't need an explanation. He could be a creature that transformed in the Living Land in Lake George, then swam downstream into Lake Champlain. He could have been some animal in Lake Champlain who, at some point when the reality storms on the border got bad, transformed. He could just be a cryptid like the Loch Ness Monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

But even then, it's not a Pure Core Earth Zone, it's Dominant. Almost all of Core Earth is (to the point that we've never really specified what would constitute a Core Earth Pure Zone).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:43 pm

TorgHacker wrote:That would then contradict the text of the adventure itself.

Valcour Island works too. It's actually "west" of vermont border, even if it's 3 km to the west of it :p

TorgHacker wrote:But even then, it's not a Pure Core Earth Zone, it's Dominant. Almost all of Core Earth is (to the point that we've never really specified what would constitute a Core Earth Pure Zone).

Champ does not need an explanation I agree (and it's a plot device, I never explained a McGuffin)

I just have an issue with contradictions, and I guess that being able to perform such a miracle to take control of a possibility rated creature requires a high level of Spirituality. Even more so as the creature itself if described as somewhat intelligent.

François

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:55 pm

fuldry wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:That would then contradict the text of the adventure itself.

Valcour Island works too. It's actually "west" of vermont border, even if it's 3 km to the west of it :p

TorgHacker wrote:But even then, it's not a Pure Core Earth Zone, it's Dominant. Almost all of Core Earth is (to the point that we've never really specified what would constitute a Core Earth Pure Zone).

Champ does not need an explanation I agree (and it's a plot device, I never explained a McGuffin)

I just have an issue with contradictions, and I guess that being able to perform such a miracle to take control of a possibility rated creature requires a high level of Spirituality. Even more so as the creature itself if described as somewhat intelligent.

François

That's why the optant is reality-rated. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:16 pm

TorgHacker wrote:That's why the optant is reality-rated. :-)

It opens up a can of worm that should have been kept locked. If it works on NPCs, it can work on PCs too.

And that's annoying me.

I'll get them to run the ritual from Valcour Island, with the actual stelae somewhere on Crab Island. I would prefer if the ritual required a complicated setup, as I do not want my players to think that it could happen to their characters (or animal companions). And the setup will require Living Land mixed at a minimum.
(and the "monument" on crab island is not THAT important to become a hard point, even if the fossil reef on Valcour might become one, or a perfect place to host Champ's eggs :p).

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm

fuldry wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:That's why the optant is reality-rated. :-)

It opens up a can of worm that should have been kept locked. If it works on NPCs, it can work on PCs too.

And that's annoying me.

I'll get them to run the ritual from Valcour Island, with the actual stelae somewhere on Crab Island. I would prefer if the ritual required a complicated setup, as I do not want my players to think that it could happen to their characters (or animal companions). And the setup will require Living Land mixed at a minimum.
(and the "monument" on crab island is not THAT important to become a hard point, even if the fossil reef on Valcour might become one, or a perfect place to host Champ's eggs :p).

The miracle is just a plot device, and more specifically, "Thon is enacting a unique ritual to gain
power over the lake creature, but it takes time, and the edeinos need to ensure the Stormers cannot interfere." (my emphasis)

It has no stat block, just like the miracle that demolished Seattle has no stat block.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 am

TorgHacker wrote:It has no stat block, just like the miracle that demolished Seattle has no stat block.

I just call that miracle "Ultimate Beast Quake".

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:35 am

The adventure worked quite well as a starting point. They had no ways (and still have no ways) to communicate with Champ. We will end up covering clean up and consequences at the start of next game and I am now in the process of choosing which adventure will be the next one. The main issue for the group and the choice of adventures is moving around the country quickly with a 12-ton mount :p 3 glories played during the ritual.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”