Aysle Timeline

Thratchen

Re: Aysle Timeline

Postby Thratchen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:24 am

TorgHacker wrote:To be determined. Gut feeling is probably not though.

That's what I was thinking as well. Provisions for alternate facilities shall thus be undertaken. Thanks!
Terminally ill peasants try to lay hands on him.
When he turns undead they refuse to leave... without his autograph.
The gods won't take him into the afterlife, because he would make them look bad.
He is... the Most Interesting Cleric In The World.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:53 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Thratchen wrote:One question if I may, that might affect what I'm plotting right now. London is a hardpoint, but Heathrow Airport is rather a long way from the heart of the city. Is the hardpoint large enough to encompass the airport? Or are the terminals now home to Tumnus and Mr. Beaver?

To be determined. Gut feeling is probably not though.

FWIW, having done some map comparing, it definitely looks like it would be outside the main London Hardpoint zone (which I actually imagine being the result of multiple overlapping HPs, of varying sizes.)
But, given that it's a major international travel hub, isn't there a good case for it being a HP in its own right? *shrug*
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Thratchen

Postby Thratchen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am

Wotan wrote:But, given that it's a major international travel hub, isn't there a good case for it being a HP in its own right? *shrug*

I wouldn't think so. It's really just another airport, albeit a large one. It's pretty much like any other airport, with no particular cultural significance or emotional investment by the people who visit - nobody who goes there is actually going there, they're always just passing through on their way somewhere else.
The gods won't take him into the afterlife, because he would make them look bad.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:27 am

Thratchen wrote:
Wotan wrote:But, given that it's a major international travel hub, isn't there a good case for it being a HP in its own right? *shrug*

I wouldn't think so. It's really just another airport, albeit a large one. It's pretty much like any other airport, with no particular cultural significance or emotional investment by the people who visit - nobody who goes there is actually going there, they're always just passing through on their way somewhere else.

I get what you're saying, but it's a major international travel hub (6th busiest in the world!)
I guess this comes down to what should qualify as a HP, & TBH I'm still not entirely clear on where the devs are on that question (except to largely be ruled by what makes a good story.)
I'm coming at it by thinking of it as a place which is well known as, & defined by, the fact that it's a major travel hub. You say Heathrow to people and they think of the airport. It's what the place is, and it can't be that place without decent Tech & Social axioms.
TBH I might be more HP-heavy in my outlook than canon though. *shrug*
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Thratchen

Postby Thratchen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:13 am

Current plan: the Delphi Council (London headquarters in the Ministry of Defense on Whitehall) blocked off a section of the M4 at Osterley Park, cleared and filled in the median, and is using it as a runway. It's a reasonably wide, straight section of freeway that's far enough from proper buildings to allow for a slightly-imperfect approach and landing. Not enough traffic to bother with multiple runways, and they've cleared off a section of the park to - well, park - airplanes when needed. The rest of the park is basically a homeless camp for incoming refugees from the surrounding area.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:35 am

Wotan wrote:I get what you're saying, but it's a major international travel hub (6th busiest in the world!)
I guess this comes down to what should qualify as a HP, & TBH I'm still not entirely clear on where the devs are on that question (except to largely be ruled by what makes a good story.)
I'm coming at it by thinking of it as a place which is well known as, & defined by, the fact that it's a major travel hub. You say Heathrow to people and they think of the airport. It's what the place is, and it can't be that place without decent Tech & Social axioms.
TBH I might be more HP-heavy in my outlook than canon though. *shrug*

Yeah, just because something is important doesn't mean it might be a hardpoint. It needs to be "culturally significant", at least on a local scale. Bonus marks for having stories associated with it. Additionally, it needs to be based on some object. So the "airport" can't be a hardpoint. But the control tower might be (though I don't see how). A statue inside the terminal might be (more likely).

Now, I'm not British so there might be something more to Heathrow than I know, but to me, there's nothing to differentiate it from any other large hub airport. For example, if I could take Heathrow whole and place it in Canada instead of Pearson International Airport, would anyone really be able to tell the difference?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:25 pm

TorgHacker wrote:For example, if I could take Heathrow whole and place it in Canada instead of Pearson International Airport, would anyone really be able to tell the difference?

Egads, I hope so! Otherwise you’ll have some confused and angry passengers wondering why they’re in Canada!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:43 pm

I really like the idea that most hardpoints should have some significance to locals.

For instance: The NASCAR Hall of Fame in uptown Charlotte NC is a popular tourist attraction. But, being a local of the area and fairly knowledgeable about NASCAR I'd be more inclined to say that the NC Auto Racing Hall of Fame in nearby Mooresville would be a better hard point. It's been around much longer, is more centrally located around various race team shops, and there is a sense of nostalgia there that you just don't get at the shiny new Hall of Fame.

The biggest determination though should be "Is making this a hardpoint a good adventure hook or does it feel cool?" If Heathrow being a hardpoint would make the area more interesting, I'd just find an excuse to make it one. I think there is something to be said for having a hardpoint like that outside London, isolated, especially with something that is somewhat self sufficient like an airport. There is food there, tools, some inherent security like fencing and cameras...it could be interesting to see it turn into a resistance town.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:00 pm

A suggestion: Shepperton Studios is pretty close to Heathrow. Judging by the table on hardpoint diameter, if the whole studios were a hardpoint, the radius might be large enough to take in Heathrow.

I also note that Heathrow has been known to have a writer-in-residence, which gives it some distinctiveness, at least.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:A suggestion: Shepperton Studios is pretty close to Heathrow. Judging by the table on hardpoint diameter, if the whole studios were a hardpoint, the radius might be large enough to take in Heathrow.

I also note that Heathrow has been known to have a writer-in-residence, which gives it some distinctiveness, at least.

To riff on this, most hardpoints have a mixed zone on the outer half of the radius, so Heathrow could be mixed, which would also be interesting.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”