Best 3 Reams to hop between for a globe hopping adventure?

Zackzenobi

Best 3 Reams to hop between for a globe hopping adventure?

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 pm

One of the things I love most about Torg Eternity is the juxtaposition of characters having to play in different sandboxes. This was the reason I loved the Relics of Power so much. I know we are getting a Redux (Thank You US) but I am still considering making a mini globe hopper adventure. I'm thinking 3 acts with each act taking place in a different Realm. With this limitation, what are your suggestions for best Realms to hop between and more importantly Why those 3?

Eightybrains

Re: Best 3 Reams to hop between for a globe hopping adventure?

Postby Eightybrains » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 pm

I’d suggest Pan-Pacifica, Nile Empire, and Aysle. Those three realms provide a lot of contrast in terms of technology/culture (high, moderate, low) and tone (intrigue and violence, breakneck action, and epic adventure). Also they’re my favorites :lol: If you wanted more continuity in tone, I would replace Pan-Pacifica with the Living Land to give the whole thing a pulpy feel. Alternatively, if you wanted to go darker you could go with Pan-Pacifica, Orrorsh, Tharkold (which conveniently means the whole adventure is set in Asia... man, Asia got the shaft with all of the depressing realms, huh?)

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 am

It depends on the mood but...
Living Land, Cyberpapacy then finish with Orrorsh.
Wonderfully different thematically in each instance and a climbing scale of "How careful do you need to be!

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am

I purchased the Ameliorer Virus a while back:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/22 ... orer-Virus

I'm just now putting my group through it. It does take the group through three realms—plus Core Earth traveling.

The acts are a little short for my tastes (but I feel that way about US-published titles too), but it's easy to pad them a little to give each act a little more meat or make a few strategic cuts to make it a rather intense one-act adventure. Considering that I feel there's a soft recommendation to align cosm changes with new acts, the former may be better. I'm a little torn on mine. I want to make it one act so I can set my group on the God Box, but I am waiting for my LL cards, so I might have the luxury of making it 3 acts. And well, it allows me to be lazy and rely on someone else's story ideas.

But I like the story, and it does take place in three realms.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:10 am

The as adventure I still need to finish writing goes Pan-Pacifica, Pan-Pacifica/Core Earth Mixed, Core Earth, Tharkold.

The Cosm flow is entirely geographically driven.

I loved the oTORG "Before the Dawn"... Living Land, Nile Empire, Orrorsh (well, more like Core Earth)...for what it's worth.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Maybe

*)Your Everyday Core Earth
*)The Godless, Desolate, Torturous Techno-Horror of Tharkold
*)The Wild, Primitive, Full-od-Life Spirituality of Living Land

...can make a good contrast.
(Something about Russo-American relationship may justify such a Realm-crossing adventure. Say, the souvenir of Apollo–Soyuz Test Project is now an Eternity Shard, and it requires some quest in both lands ot obtain it and/or its true power, for example?)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:45 pm

My problem w Tharkold is they dialed up the Mad Max so much, that I stopped seeing any other influences to the Cosm. Terminator 2 future scenes used to give me some inspiration, but now the Tharkoldu have crushed all Resistance so it seems really bleak and hopeless. Plus if Tharkoldu are only Boss fights now, they kind of lose something. Plus as someone who was supremely bored during Mad Max Fury Road I dont know what to do.

I want to be wrong. I want to be excited about every Cosm of Torg. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:25 pm

To be fair the whole "Mad Max" thing is probably only so prevalent in the Blasted Lands. There's plenty of "normal" Tharkold inside the stelae network as well. Sadly I guess there just wasn't enough space to detail that as well - plus a bit of a Blasted Lands bias in the cosm cards.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:My problem w Tharkold is they dialed up the Mad Max so much, that I stopped seeing any other influences to the Cosm. Terminator 2 future scenes used to give me some inspiration, but now the Tharkoldu have crushed all Resistance so it seems really bleak and hopeless. Plus if Tharkoldu are only Boss fights now, they kind of lose something. Plus as someone who was supremely bored during Mad Max Fury Road I dont know what to do.

I want to be wrong. I want to be excited about every Cosm of Torg. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

I'm pretty sure I've addressed this before but...

You're wrong. ;)

One of the factors of writing RPG products that most people don't realize is how much layout issues influence what goes into a book. Not just word county but WHERE those words count. We had 6 pages to dedicate to Tharkold's cosm in the player's section. No more, no less. With artwork and formatting for the section header (including Axioms) it amounted to...2,500 words.

You can't go into the fullness of any cosm in 2,500 words. Especially one that's changed as much as Tharkold did.

About 600 words took up the World Laws. That leaves 1,900 words. That's not a lot once you get into the events of the first day, a description of the Blasted Land, which was the new thing, and so _had_ to be included.

Just like your concerns about ninjas in Pan-Pacifica...the cool things about Tharkold WILL BE THERE. Why would we ignore that cool stuff? I mean, there's a whole subsection on the Resistance on page 64:

"Rebellious agents of the Race now work alongside
heroes and heroines of Russia to oppose the
Tharkoldu. The Race teaches these natives to
use the invaders’ own power against them. They
show them how to use stolen cybertech, avoid the
creatures’ advanced surveillance technology, and
unleash their psionic potential.

When the Tharkoldu first infiltrated Core Earth
to plant stelae and prepare for the invasion, it
was thralls like these who attempted to warn the
humans. The betrayal by Volkov’s administration
in allying with the demons stings, and makes the
Race distrustful of their Russian allies.

Still, Core Earth represents hope for members
of the Race trying to escape their lifetime of
suffering and servitude, or to strike back against
their vile oppressors. The invasion affords the Race
opportunities they haven’t seen in centuries, either
for freedom within the resistance or advancement
as an informant or saboteur."

That's hardly "crushed all Resistance".

I mean, look at the Nile Empire and the Living Land. See how much stuff was in there that wasn't in the Core Book? That's going to be the case for Tharkold too. Just because we've highlighted something doesn't mean that's the ONLY thing going on there.

That'd be boring!

As for Tharkoldu Boss Fights... we had room for _one_ version of Tharkoldu. So we gave you a nasty one. There will be more demons in the Cyberpapacy book. There were more dinosaurs in the Living Land book. There were 9 Walking Gods in the Nile Empire book and three additional versions of Shocktroopers. There will be additional technodemons in the Tharkold book.

I'm on the record for saying that Darrell and I are both big fans of Mojo from the X-Men. So you can expect a good dose of that. There's the Running Man that's great fodder. Terminiator isn't going anywhere. Hellraiser isn't going anywhere.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm

If I'm involved in Tharkold in any way, you can be sure these bad boys will also show up somewhere

The old Creatures of Tharkold book had them as a threat and I made good use of them against my poor players' characters...

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”