Achilles stats as played by Brad Pitt on Troy?

Zackzenobi

Achilles stats as played by Brad Pitt on Troy?

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:14 am

I thought this might be fun. What do you think the Torg Eternity stats are for Achilles/Brad Pitt in Troy? This guy is clearly one of the best Melee fighters scene on screen.

Thoughts?

fougerec

Re: Achilles stats as played by Brad Pitt on Troy?

Postby fougerec » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

I often find that people artificially inflate stats for established characters. Like is Achilles super high melee or is everyone else average and he's better than that? Does John Wick have Super Skill Firearms or simply an above average Dex and Fire Combat combined with being Possibility Rated?

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 am

fougerec wrote:I often find that people artificially inflate stats for established characters. Like is Achilles super high melee or is everyone else average and he's better than that? Does John Wick have Super Skill Firearms or simply an above average Dex and Fire Combat combined with being Possibility Rated?

I don't want to agree... I Want Lelu, Corbin, McClane, Constantine, and their ilk to be SPECIAL! But I actually think you have a point, particularly as it applies to the questioned film. In the source material, Achilles was definitely better than human; his mother had made sure of that. If I were unable to be harmed, I could become the greatest warrior ever, too. The best defense is a good offense and if you don't really need to worry about defense anyway you can focus all your practice on getting past the other guy's defenses. But the movie seemed to want to avoid actual supernatural events, so....

I would say Achilles had an above average Dex and Str, probably 3 adds in Melle, 1 or 2 each in Missile and Dodge, and a few combat related Perks. Personally, the only person from the Illiad I see as Possibility Rated was Odysseus, and he needed it.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

Savioronedge wrote:
I would say Achilles had an above average Dex and Str, probably 3 adds in Melle, 1 or 2 each in Missile and Dodge, and a few combat related Perks. Personally, the only person from the Illiad I see as Possibility Rated was Odysseus, and he needed it.

If we are talking about the Iliad, I'd disagree. Odysseus had a high mind, but he along with everyone else had gods doing the important things. Or like Achilles, part god himself. Ajax the Greater is clearly a Possibility rated character. He never had help from the gods even when his opponents did.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am

Yeah, pretty much every major hero or villain would be _effectively_ reality rated. That's just the trappings we put on why the main characters can get so lucky and never get (seriously) injured from wounds. In a Trojan War game reality rated would be 'god favored' or something.

As for skills, the guidelines are on page 70.

"Adds of +1 or +2 indicate some experience or
training; +3 to +4 represent advanced training.
Only true experts have +5 in a skill, which is the
maximum one can attain by advancement without
the Mastery Perk (see page 96)."

Was Achilles a "true expert" in close combat? Hector certainly was at least that for missile weapons. :-)

Could he have been "best in the world"? Then Mastery plus up to 8 adds isn't out of the question. The guy did survive a decade-long war after all. :-)

As for attributes, I think that 11s or 12s for Dex and Strength wouldn't be out of the question.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm

I find that often the desire is to make these characters better the PCs when the PCs should be at or near their level. Maybe not starting characters but those lofty ideals shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility (heh). Actually my Beta level characters, in their chosen fields, are likely better than those folks.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”