Someone has to do it....

Stewbacca

Someone has to do it....

Postby Stewbacca » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:21 pm

When will the Aysle KS Preview articles start?

Sorry in advance

TorgHacker

Re: Someone has to do it....

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

It's okay. I've been asking the same question. ;)

There's been a bit of reorganization behind the scenes, and it's taking a bit to settle that down. I'd give us about a month and then we'll probably get going.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm really looking forward to the new Light and Dark perks!

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 pm

I know Aysle has a reputation of being a “ho-hum generic fantasy realm” but I’ve always been a fan. I like Light and Dark stuff, and I like the classic fantasy aspects because of the way they interact with everything else. I’m really looking forward to it. :D

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:04 am

I'm just hoping for a way to design spells and a bunch of magical gear/tools.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 pm

I''ll be happy if it's not just the cosm of 'dungeon-bashing'.

'Fantasy' has come so far since AD&D in the 70's. There's so much it could incorporate.

I'll also be happy if they tone down the goofy elements like nerdy RPG players becoming fantasy heroes and using MMO terms.
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Fortunately the courtly cosm cards have indicated a level of subtlety that surpasses dungeon-bashing. It feels like Game of Thrones and Legend of Five Rings may have inspired these cards.

It also makes me try to stop being lazy and just default to dungeon crawls. I try to include some sort of social structure for them to encounter in order to allow those cards to see play. It's fun to watch someone woo the fey queen with a poem.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Here Comes The Flood wrote:I''ll be happy if it's not just the cosm of 'dungeon-bashing'.

'Fantasy' has come so far since AD&D in the 70's. There's so much it could incorporate.

I'll also be happy if they tone down the goofy elements like nerdy RPG players becoming fantasy heroes and using MMO terms.

No, there's something coming in the Aysle book that's pretty cool IMO.

Speaking of Game of Thrones...early on...and I mean VERY early on, we were considering going much more with a Game of Thrones angle. To the point that we briefly played with the idea of taking the Law of Intrigue and giving it to Aysle.

Obviously that changed, but that cosm card is a remanant. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

TorgHacker wrote:No, there's something coming in the Aysle book that's pretty cool IMO.
Speaking of Game of Thrones...early on...and I mean VERY early on, we were considering going much more with a Game of Thrones angle. To the point that we briefly played with the idea of taking the Law of Intrigue and giving it to Aysle.

Oh yes, I remember you saying that early on :) While I don't think it's necessary to go full GoT as a default, I'd like to see Torg Eternity take the cosm seriously. There's a lot you can do with fantasy as a genre, and yes, while that genre is accessible to most gamers, I hope it doesn't just play up the stereotypes and only focus on the stereotypical elements like the 'Montgomery Hall' character in the original game, or its modern equivalent of 'nerdy video-gamer turned fantasy hero'. I still have nightmares about how awful the Aysle parts of 'Ward's End' really were.

I was pleasantly surprised how T:E treated the Living Land, with most of the goofy and egregious elements like Skippy stripped away and the source material treated seriously. It actually felt like the original Torg novels where the place was quite savage and frightening. But I felt the designers doubled-down on the silly elements of Nile Empire, which was orginally my favourite cosm, and the new treatment didn't resonate with me, it felt like it was bordering on parody at times.

I trust you to do something good with Aysle, as it always struck me as having lots of potential, but for whatever reason, the original never worked for me or seemed cohesive. Europe has rich traditions and the idea of these being real could make for an excellent setting, if done right.
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Here Comes The Flood wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:No, there's something coming in the Aysle book that's pretty cool IMO.

Oh yes, I remember you saying that early on :) While I don't think it's necessary to go full GoT as a default, I'd like to see Torg Eternity take the cosm seriously. There's a lot you can do with fantasy as a genre, and yes, while that genre is accessible to most gamers, I hope it doesn't just play up the stereotypes and only focus on the stereotypical elements like the 'Montgomery Hall' character in the original game, or its modern equivalent of 'nerdy video-gamer turned fantasy hero'. I still have nightmares about how awful the Aysle parts of 'Ward's End' really were.

I was pleasantly surprised how T:E treated the Living Land, with most of the goofy and egregious elements like Skippy stripped away and the source material treated seriously. It actually felt like the original Torg novels where the place was quite savage and frightening. But I felt the designers doubled-down on the silly elements of Nile Empire, which was orginally my favourite cosm, and the new treatment didn't resonate with me, it felt like it was bordering on parody at times.

That's fair. However, my take on it (obviously, since I'm the one who did it) is that Torg Eternity isn't all gritty and dark, and there's some fun stuff too. And if there's one place we can get away with a bit of humor, the Nile Empire is where it is.

I trust you to do something good with Aysle, as it always struck me as having lots of potential, but for whatever reason, the original never worked for me or seemed cohesive. Europe has rich traditions and the idea of these being real could make for an excellent setting, if done right.

I think people are going to like it. Aysle was the one I was least interested in (heck, I'm more interested in Core Earth TBH) but the guys working on it have got some cool stuff in there.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”