Migratory Birds

Pneumonica

Re: Migratory Birds

Postby Pneumonica » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am

Savioronedge wrote:These things are plot devices, not actors. If your story needs 5 out of a V of 8 ducks to suddenly cease to exist, then they do, for whatever reason you need.

While I understand this sentiment, I don't agree with it. Although the physics of the world exists because we say it does, if it isn't consistent then the players can't reasonably rely on it. After all, protagonists are plot devices, not actors. The actors are the people playing them.

I'm settled to the fact that there's no answer provided. It's readily worked out, I just wanted to know if it's ever actually been addressed.
A mathematician, a scientist, and an engineer are asked: "Say you define a tail as a leg. How many legs does a horse have?" The mathematician says, "5." The scientist, "1." The engineer, "You can't do that!"

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:52 pm

I think a cool story would be that the colony collapse problem with honeybees was part of an advanced plan for the invasion. Now they’re on the verge of extinction and it’s up to Storm Knights to find a way to save them (maybe allied with sympathetic Edeinos or Lanala herself).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:08 pm

I guess I missed this subject when it first posted, so when I saw that I hadn't read it, I opened it up. Upon seeing the topic, my wife chimes in "Don't Great White sharks migrate?" I'm not ready for an infected Great White. Or am I?

Pneumonica

Postby Pneumonica » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 am

I mean, there's a lot of things that this would potentially affect. It's just birds were the first things I thought of. lol
A mathematician, a scientist, and an engineer are asked: "Say you define a tail as a leg. How many legs does a horse have?" The mathematician says, "5." The scientist, "1." The engineer, "You can't do that!"

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Pneumonica wrote:I'm almost positive this has been answered, but I can't find it. (This came up in the previous Torg as well.) Where is there an explanation for what happens to migratory birds in Realms? The issue being that, by appearance, if they transform, their migratory patterns will take them out of the Realm and cause them to die en masse.

Non sentient animals are not subject to "What Ifs". They don't require nearly as much Possibility Energy to transform as sentient beings.

Does that mean the cite of the Nashville Incident would be a rush greenery sans people, instead of a lifeless wasteland?
(Maybe it affects the fate of conquered Cosms(it won't be a lifefess husk as stated in oTorg), but then again maybe High Lords can(and will) drain Possibility Energy until even non-sentient animals become "What Ifs"...or did they try the massive release of energy to be TORG in previous conquests?)

And, the question reminded me of the fate of Varanus komodoensis in oTorg, where Komodo National Park fell to Orrorsh.
Possibility Wars can still be ecological disaster even without "What If" issue, and maybe Delphi Counsil agents can be asked to save some endangered species.
(Of course they're busy saving people, but then the Cassandra Division may have biology experts for natural resources, and there can be Kanawa subsidiaries which makes a profit from endangered species trafficking...extinction in the wild only makes the remaining stock more profitable!)

And, I almost forgot about this...does this mean the Archimedes Division needs sentient test subjects for researchs of "What If"ing?
(I hope they have some research ethics, but involving "non-human sentent beings" and "invading aliens" there often can be loopholes which can be terrible unless carefully monitored...)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:47 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:Does that mean the cite of the Nashville Incident would be a rush greenery sans people, instead of a lifeless wasteland?

Not everybody dies. Not even a majority die. Those who transform a second time die. So, about 30% in the axiom wash.The rest have some time to get into another stelae zone, though odds are a few probably die in that period as well, but not nearly as much as in the axiom wash.

And, I almost forgot about this...does this mean the Archimedes Division needs sentient test subjects for researchs of "What If"ing?
(I hope they have some research ethics, but involving "non-human sentent beings" and "invading aliens" there often can be loopholes which can be terrible unless carefully monitored...)
[/quote]

The Delphi Council is not going to use transformed people to test "What If" ing.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
QuarrelBlue wrote:Does that mean the cite of the Nashville Incident would be a rush greenery sans people, instead of a lifeless wasteland?

Not everybody dies. Not even a majority die. Those who transform a second time die. So, about 30% in the axiom wash.The rest have some time to get into another stelae zone, though odds are a few probably die in that period as well, but not nearly as much as in the axiom wash.

The Delphi Council is not going to use transformed people to test "What If" ing.[/quote]

The Old TORG Delphi Council would have, and probably did, which is why Eternity's Delphi Council doesn't need to...

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 am

Your campaign may vary of course, but it's possible that some other mysterious, unethical group could take the place of oTorg's Delphi Council. This group could have little qualms about torturing invaders with no heed to the Geneva Convention. I suppose that's kind of like Storm Break does, though I don't view them as being coordinated enough to dabble in research. Perhaps some Kanawa defectors though. And when the war starts turning, there may be some Nile mad scientists seeking asylum and finding this shadowy organization to their liking.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Padre

Postby Padre » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am

Kuildeous wrote:Your campaign may vary of course, but it's possible that some other mysterious, unethical group could take the place of oTorg's Delphi Council. This group could have little qualms about torturing invaders with no heed to the Geneva Convention. I suppose that's kind of like Storm Break does, though I don't view them as being coordinated enough to dabble in research. Perhaps some Kanawa defectors though. And when the war starts turning, there may be some Nile mad scientists seeking asylum and finding this shadowy organization to their liking.

The Cult of the Void is another group that would have no qualms with doing this type of experimentation.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”