Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Brandon_C

Re: Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Postby Brandon_C » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Atama wrote:An M1 Abrams tank is a far cry from Voltron.

It's also a few steps below a BattleMech of similar tonnage.

I'll also add that beyond technology to build large mecha, a crew of one is also an issue. Most mecha genre ignores the fact that your pilot is doing the job of 3-4 crew in other AFVs and should really be overwhelmed by the task.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Come to think of it, there is one instance where I can see a humanoid huge "vehicle" make sense, and that's if you have really advanced and powerful biotech (á la OG Star Sphere). In that case, the vehicle is essentially a creature, and the pilot would control it by being plugged into its nervous system, so when the pilot raises their arm, the creature raises theirs.

But at that point, I wouldn't call that a mecha. I might even go as far as call it a lobotomized/piloted kaiju.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 am

Staffan wrote:Come to think of it, there is one instance where I can see a humanoid huge "vehicle" make sense, and that's if you have really advanced and powerful biotech (á la OG Star Sphere). In that case, the vehicle is essentially a creature, and the pilot would control it by being plugged into its nervous system, so when the pilot raises their arm, the creature raises theirs.

But at that point, I wouldn't call that a mecha. I might even go as far as call it a lobotomized/piloted kaiju.

"General-purpose Humanoid Decisive Battle Weapon: Evangelion". ;)

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:"General-purpose Humanoid Decisive Battle Weapon: Evangelion". ;)

I think we move into a CyberPapacy / Pan Pacifica mixed realm with that one...
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

blackwingedheaven

Postby blackwingedheaven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am

I'm all down for kaiju and smaller-end mecha. I'm much more in the Appleseed column than Gundam/Evangelion for mech sizes.
"Venio ibi habere tempus bonum et sincere sentio valde oppugnatus esse." -Julius Caesar to Brutus after being stabbed

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:30 am

My group is just beginning to tinker with the idea of kaiju for our local convention event this year - though our adventure arc is more about the creation of kaiju than fighting them - villains smuggling 'special' dinosaur eggs from the Living Land, doing things to them, all the while messing with Core Earth, each other, and their own people.
We're still in the first phase of planning (we haven't even decided if the kaiju is any more than a post-credits cookie for our adventure), but if it comes to a fight, we'll be working hard to make it epic.

Honestly, that's the biggest problem I see with things like kaiju and mecha - to keep it interesting for all the characters, not just the pilots and shooters. The last thing I want to be part of (either as GM or player) is a game of 'mech pilots and their amazing sidekicks,' where all the important action is giant things hitting other giant things, while everyone else just dodges debris. For something like Torg, as far as I'm concerned, kaiju are best kept as SFX, or maybe the occasional looming threat.

For myself, I've never been all that enthused with mecha - they're amusing, but I'm much more interested/excited by the application of more mundane technologies and techniques - missiles, tanks, planes, and sheer ingenuity - than by stuff that's just big.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:10 am

I'll throw in a very late: No... just no.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 am

I can see rudimentary power armour at tech 24, not mecha.

If PP has mecha, then where are they in Tharkold and Cyberpapacy?

Tharkold probably have more advanced power armour to fight the demons (probably a few hundred years old and maintained by a keen teen or cranky old man).

Cyberpapacy probably have power armour for the church police against cybered up street gangs and heretics.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I can see rudimentary power armour at tech 24, not mecha.

If PP has mecha, then where are they in Tharkold and Cyberpapacy?

Tharkold probably have more advanced power armour to fight the demons (probably a few hundred years old and maintained by a keen teen or cranky old man).

Cyberpapacy probably have power armour for the church police against cybered up street gangs and heretics.

I can totally see "Brave Raiden" as a Tharkold invasion.

videopete

Postby videopete » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:47 pm

The largest would to use another games parlance an ACPA from cyberpunk 2020, if they do show up with kaiju i would be linking it with mixed Nike empire panpacifica shenanigans. Heck pulp powers would be the only thing that would allow kaiju or giant robots. That or orrorsh but that is more shin godzilla.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”