Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

pkitty

Re: Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Postby pkitty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Trying to scale mecha would be a freaking nightmare and not one I'm interested in touching with a 10m pole. But high-tech battlesuits would be cool, and I would absolutely love to see a few inspired by anime like Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (a.k.a. Robotech the New Generation), where you have personal combat armor that can transform into light vehicles like motorcycles.

As for kaiju, the occasional huge monster would be fun, but we should be talking elephant-sized, or maybe the occasional whale-sized one. No freaking daikaiju that tower over the city, please.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:00 pm

pkitty wrote:Trying to scale mecha would be a freaking nightmare and not one I'm interested in touching with a 10m pole. But high-tech battlesuits would be cool, and I would absolutely love to see a few inspired by anime like Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (a.k.a. Robotech the New Generation), where you have personal combat armor that can transform into light vehicles like motorcycles.

I’d love that as a Beta Perk for Electric Samurai (and prereqs are Speed Demon and Ion Gusoku).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Atama wrote:
pkitty wrote:Trying to scale mecha would be a freaking nightmare and not one I'm interested in touching with a 10m pole. But high-tech battlesuits would be cool, and I would absolutely love to see a few inspired by anime like Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (a.k.a. Robotech the New Generation), where you have personal combat armor that can transform into light vehicles like motorcycles.

I’d love that as a Beta Perk for Electric Samurai (and prereqs are Speed Demon and Ion Gusoku).

Honestly, a small mech on the scale of a largish exoskeleton or something like Diva from Overwatch transforming from your bike as an upgrade perk for Electric Samurai would be appropriate BEFORE Beta. Ion Gosoku and Speed Demon are underpowered/niche IMO and that's a great idea for both as prereqs. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm

PP so heavily influenced by Akira and Bubblegum Crisis IMHO; so no mechanical, but def. Power armour... transformers... maybe not.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Guess we'll see. If there is room for kaiju, I think there is room for some mecha. The nice thing about cosms is that they are big enough to support more than one theme, tone, or genre.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 pm

I remember in a video stream there was talk of different ways of handling this. Off the top of my head I can recall (or am making up)

- Pacific Rim, basically scaled up massive combat. It seems like you could do this with existing but a layer something like old d6 Star Wars where there were hard limits on efficacy between things operating at massively different scales. Which would help but not solve players being left out if they weren't mecha compatible.

- Voltron, the Storm Knights work together to pilot a giant robot. Each SK would operate a station (stealing a page from Stars Without Number for those playing at home). And you could have a pool of stations to pull from when assembling your Mech. And due to neuro-uplinks the stations would key off of the skills of the SKs without needing to be filtered through science, or piloting, or what have you. Your Edienos Warrior could use armed combat, the orrosh monster hunter could use firearms for ranged and yes, your Rocket Ranger could use Air Vehicles to pilot.

You'd need a rule where contradictions are keyed off of the least contradictory member of the team. So a PP SK as part of the Voltron Force operating in PP would be non-contradictory for the whole team. This solves problems like non-inclusiveness and wild contradiction but could snap some folks suspenders of disbelief. Or treat it like Pulp Powers, no axiom requirements but sparks contradictions anywhere that [Giant Mecha] are contradictory.

Actually....I'm kinda digging on that second option... enough so that I forgot the third one. Oh wait......

- You could Iron Man it, high-tech rocket rangers, or bulk it out Gundam Style and just have it be a perk tree or something. This falls directly into the some do it some don't trap though, and doesn't capture the colossal scale.

-You could use NPCs to make it a battle group type thing. Where the mech SK pilots a Pacific Rim style mecha and other players take on the role of Air, ground, sea, and emplacement support. This would be more of a specific ste piece climax kind of thing. And would pair well with a parallel mission that other SKs are on. Used that wait it could be interesting....

Anyway those are my notes at the moment, because basically I really dig this potential evolution, so I want to troubleshoot along with you all as much as possible =D

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:13 am

As for kaiju, the occasional huge monster would be fun, but we should be talking elephant-sized, or maybe the occasional whale-sized one. No freaking daikaiju that tower over the city, please.

By far the most Advanced Mech I would want to see. But even this has a Huge over balancing problem.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 am

At this stage?

Mecha a head bigger than a person? Like the aforementioned moto-suits? Sure!

Giant Power Ranger-esque Zords? Nooooooo

(And I say this as a fan of Sentai shows!)

Similarly, badguys as big as grizzly bears or polar bears? Yay!

Badguys as big as a twenty story building? Noooooo.

Now, year four? Maybe. MAYbe.

But not now.

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 am

I wouldn’t want to see kaiju or mecha (along the lines of Macross, Gundam, Gasaraki, etc.) in Pan Pacifica. Maybe power armor along the lines of AD Police K-11 suits, Appleseed ES.W.A.T. Landmates, or SF3D Maschinen Krieger suits might work. Even then, I wouldn’t want much content in a Pan Pacifica sourcebook dedicated to power armor.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Rocketeer wrote:I wouldn’t want to see kaiju or mecha (along the lines of Macross, Gundam, Gasaraki, etc.) in Pan Pacifica. Maybe power armor along the lines of AD Police K-11 suits, Appleseed ES.W.A.T. Landmates, or SF3D Maschinen Krieger suits might work. Even then, I wouldn’t want much content in a Pan Pacifica sourcebook dedicated to power armor.

Power armour with options sounds like an infiniverse product. Have different options like the Rocket Ranger battle suit, but without it using perks(?) as you only need money/connections as the tech becomes available at axiom 24. By axiom 26, it should be badass, but restricted. The only problem that I can really see is that power armour could unbalance play.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”