Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

Kuildeous

Re: Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:42 pm

In my series of Living Land adventures I'm running for my group, I wanted to run the one going up the Mississippi. I decided to move

[spoiler]Prayers for a Dying Tree in Miami[/spoiler]

to New Orleans. Turned out to work pretty well. Since the group was already expecting Orrorsh in New Orleans anyhow, it wasn't a big surprise. Maybe I should have the Cyberpapacy invade Orleans. That'll at least surprise them.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Kuildeous wrote:In my series of Living Land adventures I'm running for my group, I wanted to run the one going up the Mississippi. I decided to move

to New Orleans. Turned out to work pretty well. Since the group was already expecting Orrorsh in New Orleans anyhow, it wasn't a big surprise. Maybe I should have the Cyberpapacy invade Orleans. That'll at least surprise them.

I like that idea. It wouldn't have to be a big invasion, just the city itself with some backup stelae, and I'm betting a lot of people would be happy to see them, seeing them as saviors, much to the DC's dismay.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:In my series of Living Land adventures I'm running for my group, I wanted to run the one going up the Mississippi. I decided to move

I like that idea. It wouldn't have to be a big invasion, just the city itself with some backup stelae, and I'm betting a lot of people would be happy to see them, seeing them as saviors, much to the DC's dismay.

Considering that they have the technology to help out the increased refugees escaping the Living Land, that would be quite welcomed by the city in general.

Though I guess that's also the plot of the South American invasion.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah, some differences though that make it very interesting to me:

Yeah it's part of the USA, but it doesn't have the strongest cultural integration with the rest of the country.
It's a unique culture with a history of superstition and religion. Voodoo much?
And it's close to Houston, the new capital so there is that added tension.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm

I just happened on this. I had the same Idea (I'm a long time Deadlands player) and dropped my Orrorsh zone so that it would cover Tombstone, El Paso, and most of the key gunfights that took place in New Mexico.

Here's my map.

"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:40 am

Having lived in new mexico a couple of years, it's not the "classic southwest" you might think.

Most of the population lives in a handful of cities. Albuquerque (which is 95% americanized with cookie-cutter neighborhoods), Santa Fe (which is urban hipsters with too much money who like southwestern art and food), Las Cruces (which at one time - and may still - control 40% of the drug trade from Mexico)... There are a scattering of other small cities and pueblos, either very rich (Taos) or very poor, or 100% government funded (Los Alamos, Roswell). The US government has mostly decimated native American culture (though there are still traces of it intact).

If you dropped an Orrorsh zone there, you might get mutated horrors from Los Alamos nuclear waste, vampire drug lords, massive water shortages and a health disaster in Albuquerque (which would die without tech 23 water pumping stations), some interesting stuff happening in the pueblos, military/DOE bases trying to figure out what they can or should do, and a bunch of rich people in Santa Fe and Taos trying to get out.

Meh.

The one thing that's frustrating about the Living Land taking out the US is that it's so incredibly monotonous... It doesn't interact with any local stuff so much as obliterate and grow over it. (It's really a one theme reality.)

Layering Orrorsh over pretty much anything in the US is more interesting than LL, but the same could be said for Tharkhold, CP, Nile, Aysle, PP.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 am

Fuzzy wrote:The one thing that's frustrating about the Living Land taking out the US is that it's so incredibly monotonous... It doesn't interact with any local stuff so much as obliterate and grow over it. (It's really a one theme reality.)

That's an interesting observation about Living Land obliterating the land rather than integrating with it like the other realms are able to do. The more interesting interactions between Living Land and North America is where the LL cannot take hold—the hardpoints.

Though there are some interesting things you can do with the ruins. Seattle's underground features in one of the published modules. I know some people discussed what exactly a Mixed zone with Disney World would look like. But usually it is mostly "this is a city you may have known, but it's a jungle now."

Though you could bring about some interesting wonders. I thought it'd be neat to have Roanoke resurface. Or have El Dorado appear. The Bermuda Triangle is not too far off, though it's not really within in the stela zone unless that's what you want to do within your campaign.

Really, the Wonders are the reason why the Living Land doesn't have to be so monotonous. You can add lost civilizations ranging from Land of the Lost to weird psionically charged super cities.

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 pm

I’d make it so that Los Alamos is what the Gaunt Man is after. There’s something in there, maybe some experiment dealing with reality, and it will greatly advance his conquest plans.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

LexAmissa

Postby LexAmissa » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 pm

mistervimes wrote:I just happened on this. I had the same Idea (I'm a long time Deadlands player) and dropped my Orrorsh zone so that it would cover Tombstone, El Paso, and most of the key gunfights that took place in New Mexico.

Here's my map.

That looks perfect!

LexAmissa

Postby LexAmissa » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:16 pm

"Having lived in new mexico a couple of years, it's not the "classic southwest" you might think."

It's not now, but when it transforms back to what it was (plus neighboring parts of Arizona and Texas) in the late 1800s it will.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”