Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

mistervimes

Re: Orrorsh should drop a Maelstrom Bridge into New Mexico - Old West / Horror

Postby mistervimes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 am

Atama wrote:I’d make it so that Los Alamos is what the Gaunt Man is after. There’s something in there, maybe some experiment dealing with reality, and it will greatly advance his conquest plans.

This is the best idea. Stealing.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Fuzzy wrote:The one thing that's frustrating about the Living Land taking out the US is that it's so incredibly monotonous... It doesn't interact with any local stuff so much as obliterate and grow over it. (It's really a one theme reality.)

I don't think the Living Lands necessarily needs to completely obliterate everything. In either the core book or the LL source book it mentions that the Law of Wonders is why you still have things like skyscrapers and highways existing. Without that the Law of Decay would have completely eroded them and everything would simply be jungle. So who's to say that it stops at apartment buildings and highways? I'd imagine there are many interesting buildings and landmarks that might exist that don't have enough possibility juice to warrant becoming hardpoints but would still not be completely erased.

Seeing the remnants of Core Earth underneath the speedily growing vegetation of the Living Land can make things feel more powerful. There's a reason such things are used in post-apocalyptic movies so much, just the reminders of what once was can mean a lot, especially for Core Earth characters. Imagine getting tackled into what looked like a vine-choked hill only to smash through and into the remains of a Starbucks. The machines are all rusted and it's all choked with weeds but totally identifiable but still changed.

In my last session my group was around Niagara Falls approaching something near the Rainbow Bridge when one player played a "Jakatt Encounter" Cosm Card (one of my Cosm Card Booster cards on the Inifiniverse /cheapplug) and opted to have a friendly encounter. So I ruled that the Rainbow Bridge that had once spanned between USA and Canada where thousands of people crossed every day may have mostly fallen away but the two sides on either edge of the Niagara River still stood, rusted and decayed but recognizable. And this tribe came to this spot because they remembered it as being a place of brotherhood and because the spray from the falls made a constant rainbow (hence the name of the bridge in real life) and they came to it as more of a holy place where they could view the power and majesty of Lanala through the roaring of the falls but also the beauty in the rainbow. But there was still a worn plaque about the brotherhood between Canada and the USA visible throughout it all.

Of course the Storm Knights in my group were from Tharkold, Orrorsh and the Cyberpapacy so they didn't really care about Core Earth being overgrown to much and it naturally progressed to one of them playing a "Romance" card on of the jakatts as these things are wont to do in my campaign...

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm

So let's play this out:

Orrorsh reality in old southwest: Already covered. (BTW, it's not just Los Alamos... there's Roswell, Sandia National Labs, Area 51, Kirtland AFB). One thing I did forget... lots of oil drilling on public land, especially with the Permian Basin and fracking technology. Don't forget the haunted graveyards and restless spirits from the various massacres and tortures from the 16th century Spaniards on.

Other realities:

Pan Pacifica: Maybe not the best fit. There is the Tesla gigafactory, Intel chip fabs, oil resources, and some tech, but generally no the coolest interaction. Maybe the Men In Black type conspiracy stuff. Maybe there really was some alien tech here the PP wants to get ahold of, though if so, why not just steal it through normal means?

Tharkhold: Now this could be a lot of fun, and might be the best combo. Lawless gangs of demon outlows. High tech government trains carrying cargo. Oil pipelines that need protecting from Mad Max bandits. Chop shop surgeons in the saloon and very, very nasty organized crime. Unlikely bands of heroes for hire. Maybe the zone gets corrupted or weakened and is a mixed zone. Corrupted spirits and magically irradiated blasted lands with ancient buried horrors. Apache burial grounds. Hope + Dominance. Glory + Pain.

Nile Empire: Basically, the Weird West. Or the Wild Wild West with Will Smith. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4QqIeZ9Xk. I think we all know what it's like, and it's goofy and fun, though maybe too close to the regular Nile Empire.

Cyberpapacy: Not the likeliest target (why here? so far, and what's worth getting?). Also, I don't know if the reality would carry any of the southwestern flair, and the CP would try to crush everything that makes the area interesting from a game play perspective.

Aylse: I like this combo almost as much as Tharkhold, because Aylse Tech is just high enough to have primitive pistols and blunderbusses and airships. But you get something like the lone gunman knight, the spellslinger on horseback, possibly a bit of steampunk technology, dwarven outsiders who are doubly outcast, native american dreamwalkers and medicine men who mix magic and spiritual powers. But, why does Uthorian spend the energy to drop a zone here? Especially with a full bridge and stellae, right in the middle of Kaah's backyard, early in the war?

Here's an interesting idea... Mobius is going to drop a reality bomb in Los Alamos (how cool is that?) - not stellae and doesn't even require a tree. But he's foiled by storm knights, who then lose the bomb to agents of another high lord who convert it to their reality. The bomb gets detonated, but has an unpredictable effect

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Fuzzy wrote:The bomb gets detonated, but has an unpredictable effect

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WZ32gSLNHfA
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Fri May 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Atama wrote:I’d make it so that Los Alamos is what the Gaunt Man is after. There’s something in there, maybe some experiment dealing with reality, and it will greatly advance his conquest plans.

Not a bad idea.

IMO this proposal has a ton of potential and the plot seeds and themes write themselves. So the only real issue is having it make any sense in the context of the setting. In particular, dropping a single three-Stelae zone across the world from your established lands? That's basically asking for the whole thing to get uprooted within a few days. So either (A) Gaunty has some way to prevent that, (B) he drops way more than three Stelae, turning this into at least a three-zone area, or (C) he's fine with expending this much power for just a few days of action (and the GM is fine with this not being a lasting feature of the world).

I'd want this to stick around, which means we need a damn good justification for Gaunty to split his power literally to the opposite side of the world, plus enough Stelae and/or special defenses to prevent it from getting pulled out from under him.

IMO our best asset here is that it's canonical that Orrosh hit Earth big and then stopped growing (much) -- Gaunty focused on consolidating his power rather than on rapid expansion. So that implies that he's working on something big. Now, India and New Mexico are not true antipodes (you can't trace a line through the center of the Earth between them) but they are almost perfect opposites along the same latitude (that is, you can sort of trace a line between them and the Poles that bisects the Earth). So if there's something really important in both places, the idea of Orrosh expanding to the literal opposite side of the Earth switches from "makes no tactical sense" to "makes perfect supernatural sense." That way, conquering India is his Phase One, and conquering the USA Southwest is his Phase Two.

So what's in both locations? The two things have to be linked, and have to have some sort of incredible significance -- though maybe in a "Torg way" instead of in a traditional occult way.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 pm

pkitty wrote:In particular, dropping a single three-Stelae zone across the world from your established lands? That's basically asking for the whole thing to get uprooted within a few days.

Doesn't a hasty uprooting risk popping a lot of people into what-ifs? It would be (comparatively) easy to uproot, but not necessarily safe or wise to do so with haste.

Besides, a single zone may only be the beginning and a few more zones could sprout off within days if it was a big enough push.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 pm

HappyDaze wrote:
pkitty wrote:In particular, dropping a single three-Stelae zone across the world from your established lands? That's basically asking for the whole thing to get uprooted within a few days.

Doesn't a hasty uprooting risk popping a lot of people into what-ifs? It would be (comparatively) easy to uproot, but not necessarily safe or wise to do so with haste.

Besides, a single zone may only be the beginning and a few more zones could sprout off within days if it was a big enough push.

If the Gaunt Man did it by stealth and had dominant CE until he had a large enough area, it may go unnoticed until it was too late, then he just flips the zones to pure zones and off he goes...
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 pm

As far as why he would do this, the current world culture holds no clue, and geography can kludge it some. I think, however, if we look toward myth and legend, with a hint of real world pre-history, we might find something the Gaunt Man might find interesting. The Southwest wasn't always the uber-dry climate that it is now. There once was a large civilization that was centered around the four corners area. They built large places of worship and roads. They are believed to be the ancestors of the Pueblo People, called the Ancestral Puebloan culture. Looking at the heritage and similarities, it is not a stretch to have them be part of a large spiritual "McGuffin" that the GM could be after. And the setting is amazing. Antelope canyon, Mesa Verde, Choco Canyon, Canyonland, and Glen Canyon (Rainbow bridge) (now Lake Powell). It's a little further north, but a subtle shift in location would still keep most of New Mexico, but move to get this area as well.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Sun May 05, 2019 4:42 am

HappyDaze wrote:

Not really. It may happen quickly, but it definitely takes time for people to transform to the new reality. If he just dropped in three Stelae and called it a day, I'd expect one to get uprooted within a day or two (collapsing the whole zone), before hardly anyone had even adapted to the new reality.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Sun May 05, 2019 2:52 pm

pkitty wrote:
HappyDaze wrote:

Not really. It may happen quickly, but it definitely takes time for people to transform to the new reality. If he just dropped in three Stelae and called it a day, I'd expect one to get uprooted within a day or two (collapsing the whole zone), before hardly anyone had even adapted to the new reality.

Your explanation seems to fit the table on page 215, but I thought there was some kind of surge that caused a lot of transformations when the reality bridge first establishes a zone. What caused all of the transformations on Day 0?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”