Cyberpapacy Detective

Zackzenobi

Cyberpapacy Detective

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Does the Cyberpapacy allow Private Detectives? I'm just trying to figure out how tight the Police State is exactly.

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberpapacy Detective

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Does the Cyberpapacy allow Private Detectives? I'm just trying to figure out how tight the Police State is exactly.

There is no need for private detectives, for the Church knows all, and besides, sneaking around investigating people when you're not part of the Church makes people suspcious. Very, very suspicious. ;-)

In all seriousness, the Police State is very tight. The Church brooks no competition.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Fri May 24, 2019 12:39 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Does the Cyberpapacy allow Private Detectives? I'm just trying to figure out how tight the Police State is exactly.

There is no need for private detectives, for the Church knows all, and besides, sneaking around investigating people when you're not part of the Church makes people suspcious. Very, very suspicious. ;-)

In all seriousness, the Police State is very tight. The Church brooks no competition.

So, in less seriousness, any Cyberpapal private detectives would need to be very, very private.

Getting back to another take on the question, would the Cyberpapal World Laws and axioms allow for someone to act as a private detective assuming they were able to avoid all the non-private detectives of the Church Police?

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri May 24, 2019 12:52 am

So no official PIs. Ok but I can see somebody hiring an ex church cop, black ops, or pre-invasion PI to Investigate a church cover up right? He just wouldn't be state sanctioned right?

After watching Blade Runner, PI just feels like such a staple of the genre.

I mean the downtrodden need someone they can turn to when the church cant or wont do anything about injustice in the slums.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 am

Zackzenobi wrote:.. the downtrodden need someone they can turn to when the church cant or wont do anything about injustice...

Just call the 'A' team!
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:.. the downtrodden need someone they can turn to when the church cant or wont do anything about injustice...

Just call the 'A' team!

So the average Storm Knight team then ?

I assume if you could advertise openly your services as a PI the Church would ask you to register with them and report everything to them (in secret). So if you wanted to be a really private PI you would need to advertise on the Dark Web? Dark GodNet ? DarkNet ? DevilNet ?

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

Istrian wrote:I assume if you could advertise openly your services as a PI the Church would ask you to register with them and report everything to them (in secret).

I think that'd depend on how devious the local leadership is. They might tap your computer, phones, cyberimplants, maybe even randomly select you for free eye surgery, and see what people tell you that they aren't telling the Church.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 am

I had a convention scenario in oTorg that involved a detective agency. Sadly, I'm not sure I can quite reskin this for Torg Eternity (cygoyles have changed, which was a factor in my adventure).

For that scenario, I justified that the head of the local Church Police grudgingly allowed the detective agency to operate in matters not relevant to the church. His beat cops were already overworked with possible dissidents, so as long as the agency behaved, they could work with each other. The leader of the agency had to take care not to burn any bridges with this guy because his leniency allowed them to work outside the law.

And yeah, they were illegal as sin. They had a witch on staff. One of their members was a cyberlegger who could implant false signals in the cyberware to fool the Church Police.

There's possibility here, though it may require some gymnastics with the new-and-improved Cyberpapacy. For example, the agency likely has the leeway to operation within that one town, but they wouldn't get the same allowances anywhere else.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:So no official PIs. Ok but I can see somebody hiring an ex church cop, black ops, or pre-invasion PI to Investigate a church cover up right? He just wouldn't be state sanctioned right?

After watching Blade Runner, PI just feels like such a staple of the genre.

I mean the downtrodden need someone they can turn to when the church cant or wont do anything about injustice in the slums.

TBH, this is probably something I'm not going to rule on specifically. I don't think PI doesn't feel like something that fits well, at least not in the Sam Spade kind of angle,
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 pm

I have no opinion on PI's either way but I wanted to say DevilNet has officially entered my headcanon so thank you for that.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”