Corruption Perks

Count Thalim

Corruption Perks

Postby Count Thalim » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:27 am

My group is currently running around Orrosh hunting a werewolf.
With the fun of the cosm cards one of them had to make a corruption check and managed to botch it with a 1.
Cue loss of Charisma, etc...

The thing is this character has developed a tendency to using pre-cognition a lot as well as other fun habits such as attempting to Mind Blast a Darkness Device through a Stellae. ("It is as if you threw a stone into the ocean") Twice.... ("Something in the Ocean has noticed you... This is not good")
Basically the character is far too curious for her own good.

So I am thinking about giving her the option of a corruption perk. Probably free, not sure yet.

Whispers in the Dark
Once per Act you may make a reality/Scholar roll (Not sure which yet) to listen to the whispers in your mind.
Standard: Draw three destiny cards, place one in your pool and discard the others.
Good: Draw four destiny cards, place two in your pool and discard the others.
Outstanding: As Good but also draw and keep a Cosm card.
Make a Corruption test.

The idea is that it is a little more power, at the risk of a little more corruption.

Ideas/Thoughts?
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

TorgHacker

Re: Corruption Perks

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

Of course it should be free. The Gaunt Man provides. :twisted:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Sounds awesome. I was going to suggest that the perk works on the Drama deck, but there's already a psi power that does that, so you're probably right to have it related to the destiny/cosm decks.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am

I've come up with a few more Corruption Perks. (It beats doing Budgets for FY19/20 & 20/21, but see the last perk for that).
Don't have the book with me in the meeting (might look a bit too suspicious) so not sure of things like the best magic skill to use.

Diabolical Frenzy
Once you smell blood a red haze descends.
After you have inflicted a wound in melee or unarmed combat you may succumb to the frenzy within.
Immediately make another melee or unarmed attack on a target within range.
Make a Corruption Test.

Curse of Lycanthropy
You have been infected by Lycanthropy.
Increase your strength by 1.
On the night of a full moon you turn into a werewolf.
You must make a difficult (DN 14) willpower roll to resist the beast taking over. If failed the GM has control of your character for the night.
If passed you have control but are in the form of a werewolf. (Gain a bite/claw attack of Str +4, Armour +3, silver weapons do +4 damage to you, no equipment or perks related to them can be used)

Omens in the Blood
You know how to scry the future using the fresh entrails of a living creature.
Make a (Relevant Magic skill) check, the difficulty depends on the creature slain.
Rodent/Bird (DN 16)
Cat/Dog (DN 12)
Sentient Being (DN 8)
On a success you may search through the Drama deck and place the card of your choice on top of the deck after reshuffling the deck.
Make a corruption test, the difficulty depends on the creature used.
Rodent/Bird (DN 8)
Cat/Dog (DN 12)
Sentient Being (DN 16)

Mind Terrors
You suffer from horrendous nightmares.
Once per act you can try and force these nightmares upon another person.
Make a Willpower roll with their Spirit or Willpower the DN.
On a Standard Success they become Vulnerable and Stymied.
On a Good success they become Very Vulnerable and Very Stymied.
On an Outstanding success they gain a permanent Vulnerable and Stymied status until the end of the scene.
Make a corruption test (And have a restful night of sleep)
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 am

I really like those new perks. The magic skill should be divination, IMO.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:00 pm

I think a corruption perk should be enticing enough that not only does the player want it, but the other players tempt them to have it.

I like diabolical frenzy, but I would change it to thus...

After smelling blood (giving, receiving or being in the vicinity of something taking a wound) make a corruption test.
On a failure you become frenzied attacking the person closest to you (emotionally or physically), ignoring all shock and wound penalties.
On a success, act normally.
On a good result, heal all shock.
On an outstanding result, heal one wound.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Curse of Lycanthropy

I would make the DN harder (DN 18 - Heroic) and on a failure the GM takes over the character but has no memory of what happens until they wake up.

Makes a great story hook waking up with your arms soaked in blood with no memory of what happened.
Question everything.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Night Terrors doesn't seem to have any real negatives so ... you are constantly fatigued (reduce total shock by 2) due to lack of sleep which cannot be healed. A fatigue result on the conflict line causes an additional 2/3 shock. Passing the effect onto a living target (as per above) removes the 2 shock and immediately requires a corruption test. If the target is killed or knocked unconscious, then Night Terrors return to you.

This way the player has a way to control the battlefield by passing his affliction around, but requires a corruption test every time they use it.
Question everything.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm

As for corruption tests, it would be really cool if they had 2 parts... one part the player knows, one part the GM knows, but any GM part can go to any player part. The assignment could even be random. That would mean the player is always guessing what the downside to his perk is if/when the GM takes over the character.

It also means GMs that play the game don't know the perks off by heart because they will always be changing.
Question everything.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Night Terrors doesn't seem to have any real negatives so ... you are constantly fatigued (reduce total shock by 2) due to lack .

Having to make a Corruption test would be the negative. Everytime the Monster Hunter in my group makes one everyone tenses... Mind you his Cha of 6 is the main reason for that...

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”