Aysle Backer Archetypes

mystic101

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby mystic101 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:I also love how you introduced a new type of villian in the entry. Necromancer Death Monks! I cant wait to fight some of those!! When do we get to see an official write up for them?

I appreciate the encouraging words, Zackzenobi and Kanaris.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about a more in-depth writeup of those sects, but I guess that's a possibility. Until then, a gm could have a Death Monk do that deathblow trick by taking a multi-action to perform an unarmed attack, plus simultaneously casting the Create Zombie spell. If the attack succeeded well enough to kill the target, then there'd immediately be a dead body for the spell to affect, and then voila! A zombie servitor, in one punch! That might freak out the victim's npc allies pretty well, I'd think, and also give the pcs a heads-up that this is one dude who means business.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 am

TorgHacker wrote:Yeah...unfortunately a lot of the cool details had to get cut. Also, I slotted in some other archetypes instead...not quite finished them yet. Still working on SB edits.

I figured on that when I saw a few bits of art floated. :D Completely understandable!

I'd be thrille dto help out on any future archetypes, now that I know the word limit, but, you already know that. :D

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:15 am

Kanaris wrote:
I didn't take it that way! It's great people are passionate about the game and their contributions to it. I must admit in my read of the Scion I brought some of my own baggage - the perk made me think of an uncorruptible character of Light in places like Pan Pacifica and Orrorsh, but when you think about it it means he is able to draw on Aysle cosm cards even in those places, they don't touch him the same way as other storm knights. (Still, Sturm - how dare you :lol:).

I do a lot of non-creative writing under deadlines. That's hard enough but it has a certain structure and rhythm to it and creativity is generally strongly discouraged. I am in awe of creative writers who do the same but make stuff up and worrying all the time if people will like it. When I saw Deanna's task list on these forums recently, during the middle of her busy weather season, I nearly fainted in sympathy. Admittedly, you saw the vapours a lot more in movies from the 30s and 40s, so its more of a Nile Empire than Core Earth thing :roll:

It's funny, but I never even considered all the bad cards he would be dodging by only taking Aysle cards. In the Living Land, no Deep Mist, Law of Decay, or Eyes of the Saar. No random radiation doses in Tharkold. In the Cyberpapacy, Church police are less vigilant and spellcasters have less to fear in his presence. This is in addition to what you mentioned. Of course there are a lot more Cosm Catds to come.

Ya creativity can be hard under pressure. That's why I try to get a jump on things. I had the Noble Scions perk created with Darrell almost a year ago. Got the seeds planted on my Cyberpapacy Archetype with Deanna a while back. I'll be getting started on my Iconic characters for their entries in the future versions of Heroes of Possibility Wars soon. I know what I'm doing for Tharkold and Orrosh but still drawing a blank on Pan-Pacifica. I still have some time on that one maybe I'll find some inspiration between now and then.

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I know what I'm doing for Tharkold and Orrosh but still drawing a blank on Pan-Pacifica. I still have some time on that one maybe I'll find some inspiration between now and then.

My Lolita Samurai says she'd like to have a word or two with you about that . . .

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:15 am

cloudshaper2k wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:I know what I'm doing for Tharkold and Orrosh but still drawing a blank on Pan-Pacifica. I still have some time on that one maybe I'll find some inspiration between now and then.

My Lolita Samurai says she'd like to have a word or two with you about that . . .

I'm listening. :D

Feel free to PM me.

-Dave

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:25 am

Or a rockabilly bosozoku.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 am

Well, that's certainly a good segue to talking about how women are represented in gaming over to the Setting side of things, as pkitty suggested...

*facepalm*

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm

utsukushi wrote:Well, that's certainly a good segue to talking about how women are represented in gaming over to the Setting side of things, as pkitty suggested...

*facepalm*

I must have missed something. I dont know what you mean?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Well, that's fair, I probably should have quoted. The Rockabilly Bosozoku sounds fantastic.

It's the whole concept of "Lolita". It's awful and we need to stop throwing that word around as if it's OK. I know it's drifted a bit from its origin, but what it still means is still deeply wrong. There are many bad ways to introduce hypersexualized women to a game, and Eternity has been pretty good about not doing that - as we found in the other thread, there are like, a handful that might count and only one of them really comes across badly. That's not bad.

But I'm hard pressed to think of a worse way than to go the "Lolita" route, so to poke my head in here (following pkitty's suggestion, which I absolutely agreed with) and immediately see that that might be on the way... threw me a bit. Just, not that. Please.

Especially given that you were talking about Pan-Pacifica archetypes there, this rapidly goes way beyond the appropriate scope of this thread, and I... can't find a way to explain it without seeming like I'm just exploding out of nowhere, so I'm going to leave it there. I don't want to just casually drop in here and immediately jump down your throat screaming. If people are cool with a bit of exploding, and really just can't understand what the problem could possibly be, I can try to clarify, but I can't do this entirely calmly. It's just not a calm thing.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:23 pm

utsukushi wrote:...

I was not surprisingly impressed with the reaction on these boards when it was pointed out that a commonly used term was actually a purgative for the Romani people.

I completely understand Utsukushi's disagreement with the word "Lolita". I can't even see the word without also hearing a word that rimes with 'corn'.

If that is the concept intended, a Latin heritage person who has translated their youthful appearance into both an adult film career and staying in the "youth biker" culture, I support you. (Sorry U.)

If, however, you meant, "Young Hispanic girl living in Asia who only found friends through motorcycles", I would suggest not including "Lolita".

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”