Aysle Backer Archetypes

Zackzenobi

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 am

I meant to get to this sooner but I've been working a lot lately. I was impressed with many of the Aysle Backer Archetypes. There was s greater variety here than we saw in the Nile Backer Archetypes. Full disclosure, I created the Noble Scion Archetype. As a creator, I am aware how much time and love goes into creating these Archetypes so I will be keep that in mind when I am commenting.

The Elven Monk is by far my favorite. I love the character concept. And I love his Original perk. I think its clever and well done. I am looking forward to making one of my own.

I think the Minotaur Detective is a fun concept. I look forward to seeing the characters run into one sometime. I also like the Perk. I love how the Strength increase is balanced with Taunting.

I really like the Rowdy Protector. The art for her is fantastic. The Perk is very useful. I can see my Noble Scion picking it up at some point.

The prepared Leader is great. She reminds me of Hannibal Smith meets Nate Ford. The perk is really cool. Reminds me of movies when the hero has what he needs but doesn't tell the audience till necessary.

I think the Transformed Agent is a really neat concept. The perk seems useful enough. But I wonder if there isnt a better name for it? It doesnt help him sling spells.

I also like that we have multiple half-folk. It's nice to have options. If my GM promised me we had an Aysle based adventure, I would love playing a Centaur for a one act adventure.

Ths Reality Scholar is interesting. It makes sense that other realities would be researching reality. I think that the Perk might be a bit OP. It has 2 very big parts. First it makes Reality tests favored. This by itself already gives her Tenacious for free. Then she gets to favored reconnection on top of that. Then she can take Reality Perks in Alpha level. Core Earth characters were plain vanilla in O Torg. This was addressed by giving them alone Reality Perks. There is a similar Perk in the Religions of Core Earth, Ascetic. It has 3 requirements and allows 1 Ki Perk. This seems balanced. I think someone else suggested limiting Reality Scholar to giving access to one Reality Perk. This would make the Perk more balanced and let CE characters still be special. Also I would think the Perk should have a requirement of Mind 10+ and possibly something else. 3 adds in scholar is not a lot of requirement for such a powerful perk.

Just my two cents. Ymmv

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am

utsukushi wrote:It's the whole concept of "Lolita". It's awful and we need to stop throwing that word around as if it's OK. I know it's drifted a bit from its origin, but what it still means is still deeply wrong.

There's a cultural misunderstanding going on here. In Japan, the term 'Lolita' has nothing to do with Nabokov's book or the movie based on it. Lolita is a street fashion culture that is inspired by Victorian and Edwardian children's clothing. It has been described as both a modesty movement specifically rejecting the sexualization of women and a teen's final celebration of childhood before settling into the responsibilities of adulthood. Wikipedia article is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion

However, I also agree that this is outside the scope of this thread.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:28 pm

So much for trying to get the thread back on topic. Lol

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:33 pm

cloudshaper2k wrote:
utsukushi wrote:It's the whole concept of "Lolita". It's awful and we need to stop throwing that word around as if it's OK. I know it's drifted a bit from its origin, but what it still means is still deeply wrong.

There's a cultural misunderstanding going on here. In Japan, the term 'Lolita' has nothing to do with Nabokov's book or the movie based on it. Lolita is a street fashion culture that is inspired by Victorian and Edwardian children's clothing. It has been described as both a modesty movement specifically rejecting the sexualization of women and a teen's final celebration of childhood before settling into the responsibilities of adulthood. Wikipedia article is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion

I... can't, really, yeah. I'm aware of Lolita fashion and aware that the subculture itself is actually very empowering for women. I think pretending the term has no connection to the sexualization of young girls, or to the Lolita archetype in anime where it is absolutely that, is... inaccurate. But, while it is something I know maybe too much about, I'm far from an expert.

Whatever. If we end up with a Lolita Samurai, I guess I'll find out what that actually means to the people who develop it, and I can melt down about it then if need be.

But I'm watching. This is where I would do that thing where you point at your eyes and then at the person you're trying to be vaguely ominous at. If someone is going to do this and US is going to allow it, I hope they're very careful about how it's handled and presented, because there are lines you just can't uncross.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:19 pm

I'm not an expert on the concept. But from what I'm hearing it's just a Teenage version of the Electric Samurai. That doesnt bring anything new to the table from where I'm sitting. I found something that I think I can be happy with but may change my mind.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm not an expert on the concept. But from what I'm hearing it's just a Teenage version of the Electric Samurai. That doesnt bring anything new to the table from where I'm sitting. I found something that I think I can be happy with but may change my mind.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 pm

The whole fetishization of Japanese schoolgirls (or girls of that age) could pose an image problem. Even if the schoolgirl is not in a provocative situation, it could be viewed negatively, depending on the viewer's exposure to certain anime and movies (the entire first act of Tag is about the objectification of the schoolgirl trope). I could see that being a future landmine field.

But on the topic of the Aysle backer archetypes, the artwork is pretty good. Despite Aysle being the sword-and-sorcery realm, there's not the usual chainmail bikini or slinky robes in the backer archetypes (the necromancer from the Aysle archetypes did raise an eyebrow from one friend since a male necromancer wouldn't be dressed like that). The centaur certainly would have—challenges. That may explain why she's so grouchy. The pixie is wearing a revealing, but practical, outfit. Both of them are ripped for their body types.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 am

Hey all,

I'm familiar with lolita fashion (and honestly if I was younger and thinner I'd probably be participating in it) but we would be really careful regarding it if a backer chose to do something along that line.

Cultural sensitivities will also come into play when approving backer archetypes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:34 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Cultural sensitivities will also come into play when approving backer archetypes.

The office discussion is going to be so interesting come Orrorsh time.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Cultural sensitivities will also come into play when approving backer archetypes.

The office discussion is going to be so interesting come Orrorsh time.

Think Werewolves might be portrayed negatively?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”