Robotic Companions

User avatar
Atama
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 am
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby Atama » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Rocketeer wrote:So one question is, can a Storm Knight bond with a robot. There are many cinematic instances of humans having close bonds with robots. If a Storm Knight could bond with a robot, then wouldn’t the robot have the same protections that appear to be extended to animal companions?

Why not? If a Storm Knight can bond with an inanimate object via Trademark Weapon to give it “plot armor”, why not an inorganic sentient being that can be a real friend?
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 pm

TorgHacker wrote:The Cyberpapacy SB will explain some of this. :-)

#drones


*quietly walks by in the background, not saying a word*

:D

Savioronedge
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:25 am

I haven't seen homunculi, effectively magical/occult robotis, mentioned yet. I can certainly see some form of these in Tharkold or Ororsh.

GeniusCodeMonkey
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 am

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 am

Savioronedge wrote:I haven't seen homunculi, effectively magical/occult robotis, mentioned yet. I can certainly see some form of these in Tharkold or Ororsh.


Theres a perk or spell for that in Asyle Source Book (I don't have the pdf with me so I can remember).
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

QuarrelBlue
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:I haven't seen homunculi, effectively magical/occult robotis, mentioned yet. I can certainly see some form of these in Tharkold or Ororsh.

Theres a perk or spell for that in Asyle Source Book (I don't have the pdf with me so I can remember).

As far as I know, Aysle Preview #2 - Magic says The Aysle Sourcebook will have some new Magic Perks including the crafting of a homunculus.
By the way, I think homunculi are more like magical synthetic lifeform, while golems are more robot-like. ...And then, how will biotech creature companions be treated under TorgE rule?

User avatar
pkitty
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:I haven't seen homunculi, effectively magical/occult robotis, mentioned yet. I can certainly see some form of these in Tharkold or Ororsh.


Theres a perk or spell for that in Asyle Source Book (I don't have the pdf with me so I can remember).

Yes, in the preview draft it's called Homunculus, on p. 18. Basically a mute humanoid automaton made of baked clay and magic.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

User avatar
pkitty
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 am

Wakshani wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:The Cyberpapacy SB will explain some of this. :-)

#drones


*quietly walks by in the background, not saying a word*

:D

If one wants a preview of this sort of thing, and one has access to Relics of Power Acts 1&2, one may wish to search it for the word "drone." Just sayin'.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Rocketeer
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby Rocketeer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 am

pkitty wrote:If one wants a preview of this sort of thing, and one has access to Relics of Power Acts 1&2, one may wish to search it for the word "drone." Just sayin'.

Thanks for the reference, but that seems more like a Shadowrun drone controlled by a Rigger, rather than an autonomous robotic companion.

QuarrelBlue
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby QuarrelBlue » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am

pkitty wrote:Yes, in the preview draft it's called Homunculus, on p. 18. Basically a mute humanoid automaton made of baked clay and magic.

I'm surprised to hear that; a magical claydoll automaton sounds more like Golem than Homunculus.
(In Earth mythology, as far as I know, they both came from studies about creation of human being, but Golems are usually made of inorganic matter and Homunculi are usually grown from organic matter.)
But maybe this claydoll Homunculus is more player-friendly than bloodthirsty oTorg Homunculus...

Wakshani
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Robotic Companions

Postby Wakshani » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:55 am

Rocketeer wrote:
pkitty wrote:If one wants a preview of this sort of thing, and one has access to Relics of Power Acts 1&2, one may wish to search it for the word "drone." Just sayin'.

Thanks for the reference, but that seems more like a Shadowrun drone controlled by a Rigger, rather than an autonomous robotic companion.


Would you rather have a controlled drone, operated by a remote pilot, or an autonomous robot?

(Shadowrun has both, but few let their drones go around under full Pilot program control. But the option's there!)

(Edit) And is there really a difference if, ultimately, they're both controlled by the player? See also: the Sabre-tooth Cat, Follower, or other sidekicks.


Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests