Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

QuarrelBlue

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am

Acolytes.
Why are Tharkold Spellcasters considered Acolytes?
Do they serve any kind of priesthood?
Are Tharkoldu Spellcasters considered Acolytes?
Do Acolytes have any social position among the Race and/or the Tharkoldu?
In short, what are Acolytes?

How Earth native culture and beings adopted to Tharkold Reality.
Moscow isn't Los Angeles, so oTorg materials about Tharkold Realm are less helpful than usual.
We have to learn a lot about Russia...its culture, people, society, organizations, mythology, technology, nature... and how to transform it along with the cruel Reality of Tharkold.

Supernatural evil and countermeasure against it.
As a technohorror Reality Tharkold will have a lot of supernatural evil(with technodeamons on the top), but usual countermeasure like Ward Enemy doesn't work in Tharkold due to low Spiritual Axiom.
If the Race is to survive, there should be something else to fend off those supernatural threat.

Biotech, nanotech, mutant. cyborg.
Tharkold has Tech Axiom for advanced biotech and practical nanotech. Lacking religious taboo, there can be interesting product, but with technodeamons reaching their foul hands to advanced technology there can also be horrible consequence...
In oTorg there are mutant and cyborg as playable race. How about TorgE? Are they considered separate race? Repurposed existing race(Robot Man with Tharkold Reality as cyborg, for example)? Dealt with Reality-specific Perk? Only exist as "everyone can be a hero - oh no, you cannot be a hero" villain-only monster race? Or, nonexistent at all?

Effect of high Social Axiom more than Psionics.
Life and thought under higher Social Axiom is something difficult to imagine, thus needs more explanation.
(Ultra-Advanced Tech is common in Sci-Fi, but how about Ultra-Advanced Society, Ultra-Advanced Philosophy, or Ultra-Advanced Ethics?)
World Laws of Tharkold make thing more complicated, so it is worth noting.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

Here Comes The Flood wrote:If Kranod had to die, why didn't the PCs take him down? Why just kill him off-stage?

Just a speculation, but it is to show how Darkness Device cold-bloodedly dispose its failing proxy to pick up ambitious replacement.
(It highly doubtful if DD ever has blood, cold or warm, though.)
It's more like bloody purge among villains than heroic victory.
(But maybe your heroes can play some adventure about foiling Kranod's last effort to re-establish dominance, thus ultimately causing his demise.)

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm

One thing that has been brought up time and time again is about the "artificially" high Social rating of Tharkold just to be able to use enough Psionic powers. It's generally been stated that this is a theoretical high ceiling but due to the World Laws and the domination by the Technodemons the vast majority of people in Tharkold don't actually operate at that level.

What then happens when the reality invades a cosm like Core Earth where the inhabitants actually do know how to take full use of a high Social axiom? Think also about Russia's failed communist past and now it is suddenly actually possible due to the increased Social and Tech axioms. What do the Tharkoldu do when the ords are better able to leverage the power of the invading reality than the invaders? Will the demons change how they operate at all after seeing these "Monkey Tricks"?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:03 pm

I *think* that the world the demons invaded just happened to have a high Social, being an advanced society with mental powers and the like, but the long war crashed what they'd managed to build... so the *potential* is still there, and the *history*, but the *actual* is way low.

That said, I would, personally, like to see more interaction with the social axiom overall beyond just mental powers. Tech's easy, Spirit and Magic give some tools (as does a high enough social) but we don't see many advantages from a high social, or penalties for a low one. I'd truly love to see a few things where the invaders look at Core Earth and go, "Oh man, how did they do THAT?!" when looking a some kind of social development.

As for Tharkold? The original left a bad taste in my mouth, personally, being famously overpowered and just not fun to playa round with. The main thing I want to see from this one is "Why is this place somewhere to go?" There's some *stuff* laying around, thanks to the nuclear bombing of a bridgehead, sure, but what makes adventures here interesting? What makes players go, "Man, we have GOT to go check out Russia!" I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but Tharkold's always just been so dang *dull* for me.

So I don't know what spark I need, only what spark I want.

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Wakshani wrote:The main thing I want to see from this one is "Why is this place somewhere to go?" There's some *stuff* laying around, thanks to the nuclear bombing of a bridgehead, sure, but what makes adventures here interesting? What makes players go, "Man, we have GOT to go check out Russia!"

We do need reasons to go there. I like the idea of 'Mad Max: Russian Winter' in the blasted zone, but more is better.

Expanded demon-cyber stuff, obviously. Along those lines, maybe some mutations from the blasted zone, either for stormers or critters or both.

While maybe a little off-topic, something about Germany's situation? It has a certain past relationship with Russia, and is surrounded on three sides by three very different cosms. I imagine it's a hotbed of Delphi activity.

A little more on the structure of the realm. Do the invaders specialize/dominate distinct spheres, like heavy industry vs agriculture vs animal husbandry? Geographic separation? Ate they more like crimelords, draining resources without contributing anything but 'protection?'

Coming back around to the blasted land, what's in there besides scavengers in jalopies and mutant animals (and old Russian military gear)? I could imagine possibly something like the LL wonders on a smaller scale, remnants of other worlds conquered.

Anyway, just throwing ideas out. The stuff already published has been great so far; so the best I can really say is "keep up the good work!"
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Eightybrains

Postby Eightybrains » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:48 pm

The number one thing would be information about all of the competing High Lord wannabes, and how they interact and fight against one another. Jezrael is a known quantity, but I'm curious to know if Thratchen still has any of his oTorg ties to Orrorsh. Maybe his region has an unusual concentration of Nightmare Trees? Who knows.

More material for running games in the urban parts of Tharkold, definitely. Right now I pretty much have a solid hold on how to send my players into the Blasted Lands, fight crazed raiders, encounter a few mutated monsters, but I have no clue what's going on in the cities. How much of the Tharkoldu "spiked chains and whips" aesthetic has leaked into the cities, and how much have the Race resistance fighters been able to put a foothold into the urban areas, where the Tharkoldu are presumably the strongest?

I'm also going to second (or third) Zack on the more mutants stuff! I'm not even 100% clear on if there are mutants in Tharkold in this version, but if there are, I definitely want to see a lot about them.
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Where are the Synthecyclers? The idea of semi-intelligent machines processing rubble into useful products was one of the more evocative aspects of the original Tharkold.

Is the concept of using tech to bolster the Magic axiom still a thing or did that become a contradiction?
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Yea on more mutants, for sure.

You know, with cybernetics being a Cyberpapacy thing more than anyone else, I kind of wonder if there's some room for Tharkold to go more into biomods. You could run with Demons just plucking limbs off of one person and stitching them on to someone else, big squigly jars full of organs and lifejuice, etc. Maybe do something like the magic-aligned rule, only requiring a high enough Tech axiom or the person gets fatigued from organs not working right.

I'm also curious about the interplay between the three would-be High Lords and why, without being connected to a Darkness Device, can they expand the realm. Or maybe the DD is allowing them to borrow it long enough to expand, then goes neutral again? Not sure. The interplay between the DD and the candidates is something I'm *darn* curious about, regardless.

It's the big realm of unknown stuff, but it's also the one I have the least interest in (two things possibly aligned!) so I want to see where it goes.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Rabbitball wrote:Where are the Synthecyclers? The idea of semi-intelligent machines processing rubble into useful products was one of the more evocative aspects of the original Tharkold.

I read that as Scythe-casters at first and all kinds of ominous ideas crept through my head. :lol:

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:20 am

By way of stuff already firmly in oTharkold lore, I'd like to see the Sadomach reimagined as more than just cenobite knock-offs. There's a whole lot of potential there given the implication that they themselves weren't Tharkold natives exactly and served some other power even the Tharkoldu didn't understand. Unfortunately in the end they sort of wound up being nothing but the third-rate cenobites from the later, lesser Hellraiser flicks.

I also want to see the idea of "transdemonism" more deeply explored, and how exactly this iteration of the Tharkoldu operate. It says in core that the TE Tharkoldu are manifestations of negative emotion, suggesting they don't breed the way the oTorg Tharkoldu did but *came* into being. If this is true does that mean no new Tharkoldu are coming into existence given the Magic Axiom of 12 instead of 13? If *that's* so, given the World Laws, are there technodemons using other subjugated technodemons as "sleeves" if their body is destroyed? Are they doing things like abducting conjured demons from the Cyberpapcy as new bodies to download themselves into? Making the Grid feel unique, compelling and not like "less interesting GodNet" I think could be a tricky proposition. Tharkold always felt like the natural place for body horror (Space Gods had the biotech but not the right vibe) but never seemed to fully commit to it. I know you can't really go full Cronenberg - it's Torg, not Kult - but I always wanted those hints leaned into a little more.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”