Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

ZorValachan

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 am

I'll just state for RoP (not the sourcebook), I've been to Russia (and will be going there Thursday for 2.5 weeks- vacay in Tharkold, how fun) and asked my Russian friends questions about daily life minutiae. I wanted it to be in "Russia" and not "generic East Europe".

Hopefully some of your questions will be answered, or at least hinted at. Enough to give you an idea of what things can be like and get you salivating for the sourcebook )))
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:07 am

NO PRESSURE. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mathey

Postby mathey » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 am

ZorValachan wrote:I'll just state for RoP (not the sourcebook), I've been to Russia (and will be going there Thursday for 2.5 weeks- vacay in Tharkold, how fun) and asked my Russian friends questions about daily life minutiae. I wanted it to be in "Russia" and not "generic East Europe".

Hopefully some of your questions will be answered, or at least hinted at. Enough to give you an idea of what things can be like and get you salivating for the sourcebook )))

Sounds great!

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I know we Torg nerds are asking for a lot!

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Tharkold always felt like the natural place for body horror (Space Gods had the biotech but not the right vibe) but never seemed to fully commit to it. I know you can't really go full Cronenberg - it's Torg, not Kult - but I always wanted those hints leaned into a little more.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this... Pan Pacifica is really not tech enough for genetically engineered mutant beasts. The corps there might have acquired limited ability to capture and harness stolen tech, but the "horror" there is corporate.

I also want to echo the (previously repeated) request for a much greater understanding of why Tharkold does not take advantage of its social 25. Maybe, perhaps, there's a World Law that opposes it?

Finally, I'd like to see Pain Perks.

And monsters... The OTorg monster book had some really great tharkold monsters, like Hellraiser dimension type stuff.

And where did everyone come from, and what's the actual history and culture?

Yeah, just that...

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm coming in with minimal exposure to Tharkold, but 2016 Doom feels like a really good fit in terms of tone and tech.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm

In oTorg, the Race didn't know if they'd invaded a Demon world or if the demons had invaded the world of the Race.

That was always a bit odd to me, since the demons had the Darkness Device, but, if that was the case in TorgE, it might explain the Social axiom?

Dunno.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Wakshani wrote:In oTorg, the Race didn't know if they'd invaded a Demon world or if the demons had invaded the world of the Race.

That was always a bit odd to me, since the demons had the Darkness Device, but, if that was the case in TorgE, it might explain the Social axiom?

Dunno.

In OT, the race first encountered the demons when the humans were returning from the Trojan war. The OT Kranod did not get his DD until way way later after serving the Gaunt Man after Uthorian had become a high lord. The TE Kranod was not a servant to the GM and since a certain K world was invaded by PP in TE and not TH as in OT, the history has some pretty major divergences.

My view (unofficial) is the Law of Domination really messes with the social 25 expanding beyond psionics. There are no "think tanks" or "crowdsourcing" when you have a dominance chain in effect. There's a pecking order and little cooperation between "equals" as they are planning to determine who should be superior.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm

ZorValachan wrote:My view (unofficial) is the Law of Domination really messes with the social 25 expanding beyond psionics.

I'm down with "The World Laws inform the Social Axiom significantly, which means Social 25 looks different than what you'd see if Core Earth had that axiom." But I'd be incredibly disappointed with "The World Laws mean that Social Axiom 25 is mainly just for psi, with other stuff being lower," because that'd be a cop-out. Giving Tharkold Social 25 is a way to make this cosm stand out in a cool, unique way; anything psi-related is just gravy.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:09 pm

pkitty wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:My view (unofficial) is the Law of Domination really messes with the social 25 expanding beyond psionics.

I'm down with "The World Laws inform the Social Axiom significantly, which means Social 25 looks different than what you'd see if Core Earth had that axiom." But I'd be incredibly disappointed with "The World Laws mean that Social Axiom 25 is mainly just for psi, with other stuff being lower," because that'd be a cop-out. Giving Tharkold Social 25 is a way to make this cosm stand out in a cool, unique way; anything psi-related is just gravy.

I’m good with “the Law of Domination prevents society as a whole from looking like Social 25”. That doesn’t mean it’s limited to psionics. I could certainly see a group of rebels opposed to Tharkoldu dominance operating the way a Social 25 society would be (and benefiting from it).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Yeah, those stupid monkey tricks keep getting in the way of true Tharkoldu dominance.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”