Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Kuildeous

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:09 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I've just worked out what the 'batteries' in The Matrix are, they are basically Tharkoldu devices for ripping possibility energy from Humans to keep Tharkoldu alive. They aren't taking the electricity from human bodies as the film says, but possibility energy instead. That's the nature of Tharkold reality!

I am hoping that vril batteries make a comeback.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I've just worked out what the 'batteries' in The Matrix are, they are basically Tharkoldu devices for ripping possibility energy from Humans to keep Tharkoldu alive. They aren't taking the electricity from human bodies as the film says, but possibility energy instead. That's the nature of Tharkold reality!

I am hoping that vril batteries make a comeback.

I believe they are.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Here's one - what was faith/religion like before the demons arrived? Was it falling and that is what allowed the Demons to break through/stay put? Or did the coming of the demons begin eroding the Spiritual Axiom? Were the greek pantheon and proto-judaic practitioners around or was it just not a thing? I *might* have an ulterior motive for this question :D

Secondly - when the Tharkoldu showed up they weren't techno demons yet right? They were just Demons. The techno part was a result of 3000 years of warfare against the Race ?

*edit* forgot this part - in OG Torg there was a decent amount of miracle-type stuff for Tharkold. Is that all getting moved to magic/psionics, cut, or transformed even more dramatically?

Grae

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:52 pm

graethynne wrote:Here's one - what was faith/religion like before the demons arrived? Was it falling and that is what allowed the Demons to break through/stay put? Or did the coming of the demons begin eroding the Spiritual Axiom? Were the greek pantheon and proto-judaic practitioners around or was it just not a thing? I *might* have an ulterior motive for this question :D

Secondly - when the Tharkoldu showed up they weren't techno demons yet right? They were just Demons. The techno part was a result of 3000 years of warfare against the Race ?

*edit* forgot this part - in OG Torg there was a decent amount of miracle-type stuff for Tharkold. Is that all getting moved to magic/psionics, cut, or transformed even more dramatically?

Grae

TE Tharkold is very different than OT. And since the sourcebooks are focused on the realm and how it affects Earth, many of these questions probably won't be answered and the ones that might be will probably be very different including the 3000 year war that started after the Trojan War. TE Tharkold has low Spirit, I highly doubt there will be miracles or other spiritual things. basically I wouldn't bet on anything being the same other than names and themes. But I'm really interested on how different things are
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 pm

The history of Original Tharkold was probably the best of all the cosms. I hope they keep it.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:The history of Original Tharkold was probably the best of all the cosms. I hope they keep it.

The problem is that the players won't interact with it, so it's just a nod to GM's who know and like the original history. I incorporated bits of the original Aysle into spell and miracle design, but not in such a way as to require new players to know anything about it beyond the few paragraphs listed,
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Wakshani wrote:I'm also hoping that w get to see some 'lesser demons', a mook-like state between enslaved people and full-on technodemons. The kind where one could even wind up being a PC with some finagling while still quite a bit less than a Full Thratchen, if that makes sense.

Like, you have the Alphas who are all scary and cause Drama scenes, then you could have Betas who are tough but not TOO tough, then on down until you get to Omegas, who are scrawny lil' runts with 35 attribute points or so who have a long, LONG climb ahead of them through the demonic hierarchy. And some of those are all, like, "Know what? Heck with this, I'm joining the rebels."

Kind of a long shot, but I, for one, would dig it.

Sounds intriguing, but since TorgE is redefining Demons as true Inherently Evil(rather than vicious predators like oTorg Tharkoldu), such "capo" creatures would be Occultech constructs or another enslaved race from other conquered worlds, if more "demon-like" than human Race.
(And they would be introduced relatively recently in the history of Tharkold, since there has been only one "Race" other than Tharkoldu for a long time.)
I'm not sure if they can be promoted to the true Demonhood, and there can be a chance that their "promotion" is actually an illithid-esque body snatching predatory parasitism.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Since low Social Axiom world like Living Land contradicts with advanced tactics or large-scale military structure, higher Social Axiom would accept enable more advanced tactics and large-scale military structure which sounds unrealistic under Core Earth Reality.
And, even though usually Social advance means better society, as Gokuraku invasion exploiting its advanced Social Axiom for advanced social manipulation high-Social "Tools" can do lots of harm when used by wrong hands.

Maybe Race Resistance can enjoy benefit from it, like dispersed cells coordinated with secret signals flowing among the society(which won't be delivered effectively under Core Earth Axiom, at least without risk of being noticed and squashed) and launching massive synchronized joint strike.
(Such secret communications may look almost telepathic to lower-Axiom observers, and that can be actually related to the fact that Telepathy is a Social "Tool".)

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 pm

The low spiritual axiom of Tharkold was a genius move - not just because of the widely acknowledged power-creep issue, but it effects a really substantive change in the reality: a truly demon-haunted world without the hope of salvation. In such a world, you really want your demons to be "demons", and not just an alien race. I love what they have done, and I hope that this aspect is explored by Darrell in the sourcebook a little. I can see that a little bit of history on the cosm would be necessary to flesh this part out - was it the absence of faith that allowed the demons to conquer, where there once gods etc etc

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Kanaris wrote:The low spiritual axiom of Tharkold was a genius move - not just because of the widely acknowledged power-creep issue, but it effects a really substantive change in the reality: a truly demon-haunted world without the hope of salvation. In such a world, you really want your demons to be "demons", and not just an alien race. I love what they have done, and I hope that this aspect is explored by Darrell in the sourcebook a little. I can see that a little bit of history on the cosm would be necessary to flesh this part out - was it the absence of faith that allowed the demons to conquer, where there once gods etc etc

Yeah, selling Tharkold as "The Hopeless Realm" is a huge thing. The idea that spirituality could help is brushed aside, "We tried thoughts and prayers. Turns out bullets do a better job..." and gives into this grinding depression and darkness which fits them WAY better than the old whacky Hellrazer gonzo aspects.

Quite a fan of that change!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”