Mining for Ideas - Tharkold game shows

Kuildeous

Mining for Ideas - Tharkold game shows

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:38 am

So running with the decadent and hedonistic Roman Empire approach of Tharkold, I have assigned my PCs to get themselves captured so that they can find the Delphi Council operatives who have been kidnapped and forced to partake in competitions that leak through the dark web (and are simply publicly shown within Tharkold). This is similar to the Stay Tuned event I ran at Origins last year, but I have more than 4 hours to showcase the wackiness of combining modern reality shows with blood sports.

But the main question is what shows can I run them through? I know the characters’ abilities, but obviously the show’s producers don’t, so I interviewed each of them to get a stage name and to learn their skills. The group will run through some mass gladiatorial combat, of course, but I’m going to also have some individual games. Here’s what I’m working with:

Basic concept – Core Earther Texan gunslinger/horse wrangler
Tharkold record – smart alec recalcitrant
Possible game – The Roommate, a Big Brother clone that plays heavily on the Law of Domination with many physical fights on camera

Basic concept – Living Land melee fighter
Tharkold record – Good a driving boats, riding beasts, hitting things, shooting things, throwing things
Possible game – Likely feats of athleticism. Her naïve boasting about boats could land her in hot water (literally).

Basic concept – Elven mage who is trying to find ways to do the mission without casting too many spells
Tharkold record – I get people to do what I want
Possible game – Not sure. They didn’t check her thoroughly to discover she’s an elf. Maybe another Roommate contender with her attitude.

Basic concept – Cyberpriest who doesn’t entirely suck at shooting
Tharkold record – The ability to set fire to people with the holy power of God
Possible game – With a Spirit axiom of 4, not sure if there will be shows mocking religions. Likely, any bona fide miracles of immolation on TV will be dismissed as CGI chicanery by the audience, so while setting fire to people ranks high, the method may not be interesting to them.

Basic concept – Orrorshan bulletsmith who has Profession (taxidermy)
Tharkold record – Another recalcitrant.
Possible game – Extreme Taxidermy Under Fire. Probably will be an Iron Chef clone where contestants have to stuff live cyber-wolverines without killing them (not PETA-friendly certainly).

I’m not committed to anything just yet, but I certainly do plan to play up the character putting a rank into taxidermy.

Bonus points if I can run these events with the other players taking on NPC roles.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Re: Mining for Ideas - Tharkold game shows

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 am

I am planning to make "Thrall Wars" the biggest TV show, but it's pretty much a Hunger Games clone, not particularly original. I feel like setting can make every episode unique though.

Some other ideas:

- A shopping mall in the Blasted Lands for a show called the "Shopping Maul" where you win by doing a scavenger hunt sort of thing. Could even add some gospog, a lot of gospog, for a Dawn of the Dead homage (special episode!). Sort of site based exploration type adventure.

- Wage Slaves, an office building filled with cubicles and annoying bosses ranting about TPS reports. The challenges could include surviving a lot of meetings, forced morale boosting activities, and rushed deadlines to do menial tasks, all with punishment drones overseeing productivity. Lots of head games and framing others to get ahead, sort of like Paranoia.

- Prison Break. Wardens live a life of luxury, prisoners live a hellish life, even by Tharkold standards. Contestants win by breaking out, but a win means the Warden is executed. Winners then become Wardens. Basically a heist adventure.

I think one thing I'm definitely going to do with game shows in Tharkold is allow for some rule breaking and resistance action sort of like Running Man. Getting behind the scenes, and having a bigger goal than surviving or winning the game is going to be the theme. So maybe there is an eternity shard in the Shopping Maul and finding it is the real goal, or rescuing someone critical to the DC from the Wage Slaves. And I like the challenge of making it all a bit campy, but keeping it brutal.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:09 pm

You have to do one of those game shows that involve physical pain. Like this one:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... me-6578388

Just because you know the demons would love it.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Well, not sure in these specific instances, but...

You Bet Your Life … literally!

(Has a low chance of a returning champion more than once, tho.)

An Arm and a Leg!

MUCH better show where slaves are brought out and have to wager body parts. You win, you get bonuses, you lose? Well, the show's name is legit. The bigger your bet, the bigger your win! So betting, say, a pinky finger or some hair doesn't earn what, say, a whole arm or a heart would. (Consolation prize: Losers have their removed parts replaced by cyber so that they can still work.)

Name That Pain

COntestants are hooked up to a "Pain extractor", a machine that records the suffering of whomever it's attached to, and are given the opportunity to name that pain in so many seconds. Can you name it after experiencing two seconds? After five? Shorter pain means harder to guess, so less chance of winning, and a missed guess always comes with ten seconds of whatever it was. is that being set on fire? Having your eyes scooped out with a melon baller? Having your skin flayed off one micromillimeter at a time? How soon can you … Name! That!! Pain!!!

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Iran my group through a version of SMASH TV "Big Prizes!" in Tharkold as they were trying to rescue someone who had been entered into it. The psychic mutant managed to get a Glory during during the televised program, filling untold thousands with hope. The Tharkoldu responsible for airing that show has been executed. :)

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm

I suppose it's obvious, but this was what I used once in oTorg:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:Iran my group through a version of SMASH TV "Big Prizes!" in Tharkold as they were trying to rescue someone who had been entered into it. The psychic mutant managed to get a Glory during during the televised program, filling untold thousands with hope. The Tharkoldu responsible for airing that show has been executed. :)

SMASH TV was the first thing that came to my mind. Which, of course, is a rip off of Running Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRHSi4hBHSM
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:06 pm

What you do is combine all of these into an Amazing Race sort of race around the realm:

"Teams must now travel to Archangel, where they will receive their next tasks. Half must sail the boiling sea, while their teammates stuff the live mutated bear with machine gun implants." :mrgreen:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Daedra18

Postby Daedra18 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 am

I picture Very deadly version out Wipeout! With all kinds of dangerous traps for people to struggle through, and a couple of demons commentating.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:40 am

Not quite Tharkold (But with a few more whizzing blades could be easily converted) but I have a vision of Ninja Warrior in my head, the original Japanese one with more comedy contestants than the US & UK versions.

You have two teams. The Pan Pacifica one full of actual Ninjas who can do the course at a flat run but occasionally still get caught.
And the Nile Empire Ninjas. Half of whom get messily killed early in the course and the remainder who ace it, with a bit of showboating and cheating along the way.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”