Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Istrian

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Istrian » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:49 pm

If you want to go full weird you could have a heretical AI that believes it's a WW2 veteran and it hijacked the body of a younger person with lots of cyberware.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Well, let's see. WWII ended in '45 and the CYberpapacy book was published in I THINK '92? So, about a 47 year span... let's call it an even 50 to make life easy. So we need a French military adventure from 50 years ago, or 1969-ish, a bit too young to be a French Vietnam vet.

This gives us the Western Sahara War (1975-1991), Shaba II (1978), Chad-Libyan conflicts (1978-87), or, for a younger guy, assorted humanitarian missions (Kosovo, etc) under the UN aegis. Of course, in each of these, you're supporting the ruling party and going *against* the rebels, rather than being a partisan fighting against the Nazis, so you lose a key element there.

Of course, you could make him a former freedom fighter from another cosm...

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Why not just have him be a former student who took part in the May 68 protests? It'd fit, if Malraux's arming nationalist/neo-nazi street punks. (As he did in oTorg.)

Any which way, I figure the important thing with the senior citizen is that he regularly mumbles that this whole thing is just like Alesia all over again.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:Why not just have him be a former student who took part in the May 68 protests? It'd fit, if Malraux's arming nationalist/neo-nazi street punks. (As he did in oTorg.)

Any which way, I figure the important thing with the senior citizen is that he regularly mumbles that this whole thing is just like Alesia all over again.

Oh hey, good catch on that one!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”