GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #6 - Welcome to the Cyberpapacy

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am

Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I still cant tell you how exciting it is to see the Cyberpapacy expand into Brazil. It's such a natural place for them to go. Now if only we can get some Akashans in South America again. I love the idea of Polytheistic( or I guess they are Atheists now) Biotech vs Monotheistic Cyberwearing Zealots! :)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Related to that is Bishop Jacques Gaillot (AKA Monseigneur Gaillot, aka The Red Cleric), a controversial figure in the Catholic church who took some positions that the church as a whole was not cool with. When he refused to stop, they removed him from his official position in France and instead gave him a Titular See to handle instead.

(A Titular See is a type of diocese that no longer exists in reality but still is found in Catholic records. IE, the place was destroyed, but once sanctioned in God's eyes, it remains forever in spirit, even if no longer physically present. In most cases, these are old, or even ancient, areas in Africa that were either destroyed after the Crusades or, more commonly, were just swallowed up by the Sahara Desert, never to be seen again.)

When he was assigned to Partenia, where most would see this 'promotion' as what it was, a way to remove an embarrassment without actually excommunicating him (side note: Once you attain the rank of bishop or higher, you can't be defrocked, only moved around) and would settle into retirement, Gaillot instead hit the books and started looking for loopholes. In particular, he learned that a priest can do all of the usual work, including hearing confessions, issuing blessings, and so on, via mail when someone is unable to travel … this applies to both supplicants who are mortally incapacitated or bedridden, and to the priest themselves, who might be in jail or similarly infirm and unable to travel. Since they could do good work via correspondence, he could minister via email. With a few other bits of Deep Reading, he established the online diocese of Partenia, form which he could minister the flock from a location that he couldn't reach and that, which spiritually existing, had no physical presence.

He became the first Bishop of the Internet and launched into a new career. The site's still up, but he's not actively written anything there in years (he had a long talk with the current Pope and seemingly tabled his issues with the church as a whole) … but previously, you could send email, ask for blessings, get religious advice, and more.

https://www.partenia.org/english/partenia_eng.htm

Remind me later and I'll tell you about the Bishop of the Moon. Yes, it's a real thing.

(Oh, and bonus points for the soccer-playing fellow at the top of this post. I guess you could call him an achieved kickstarter goooooooooooooaaaaaaaalllll!!!)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:07 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50081466

Just saying.

OMG that is amazing. Life imitates art . . .
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:49 pm

pkitty wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50081466

Just saying.

OMG that is amazing. Life imitates art . . .

Yeah, I was doing some DEEP dives for this stuff. Partenia I knew of before, but there was one cool thing after another once I went swimming and there's no way that I could do it all justice. Not even close. The Catholic Church has a thousand+ year history, after all, some good, some bad, but there are parts that you just sit and stare at sometimes.

For instance, there is a Saint of Bridges, St. Benezet. As a lad, he was a shepherd who had a holy vison during a solar eclipse around 1180. in this vision, he was told to build a bridge across the Rhone, but was worried about his flock, so the angels told him that they'd watch over them while he worked so not to worry. So, he picked up a massive stone (larger than himself), said "This will be the foundation" and plunked it into the river. People who witnessed this called it a miracle since, seriously, HUGE rock, way more than he should be able to lift, let alone carry, and more miracles would follow as he worked … the blind had their sight restored, crippled people had their legs healed, etc. While he started the project on his own, as the miracles piled up, he started getting help, both physical and financial, and a society of bridge builders formed in his wake (The Bridge Brotherhood was a Catholic group that travelled around, making bridges for communities in need... think Habitat for Humanity, but in the 13th century and for bridges, not houses.) He died at just 21 years old, two years before the bridge was finished, but his body was interred in a chapel inside the bridge itself.

And where, you might ask, was the chapel that contained the body of the saint of bridges at?

Avignon.

So I'm *pretty sure* that I know where he bridge is anchored at, on both sides of the Realm.

I'll talk about the patron saint of vampire slayers later. Because there totally is one and he's kind of awesome.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:17 pm

*)We now have two more Storm Knights along with well-known Viola and Damien. Are Chloe and Astre going to establish new Archetypes?
*)Chloe's armor looks quite unique. Is it the Breastplate of Righteousness for Champion of God in another incarnation, different kind of HardLight Armor, or new kind of mundane armor?
*)The new hero with a football looks interesting. Cyber-Athletes will face difficulties when trying to play fair in Core Earth, but is there any physical sport in Cyberpapacy, which disdains Flesh body?
*)I happened to find that the text saying '"Damien!" Chole said, surprised.' Judging from the other parts of the text, she should be Chloe, not Chole.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:*)We now have two more Storm Knights along with well-known Viola and Damien. Are Chloe and Astre going to establish new Archetypes?

Yes. Chloe is the GodNet Hacker, and Astre is the Punk Rocker.

*)Chloe's armor looks quite unique. Is it the Breastplate of Righteousness for Champion of God in another incarnation, different kind of HardLight Armor, or new kind of mundane armor?

That's Chloe's avatar in the GodNet.

*)The new hero with a football looks interesting. Cyber-Athletes will face difficulties when trying to play fair in Core Earth, but is there any physical sport in Cyberpapacy, which disdains Flesh body?

He's a Core Earth archetype, the Futballer.

*)I happened to find that the text saying '"Damien!" Chole said, surprised.' Judging from the other parts of the text, she should be Chloe, not Chole.

Yeah, usual disclaimer, this hasn't gone to editing yet, etc etc.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”