Equilibrium - Gun Kata?

TCArknight

Equilibrium - Gun Kata?

Postby TCArknight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Howdy!

This question came up by a lurker in the PbP game I'm setting up and I'm curious (and seems a bit Cyberpapacy appropriate. :) )

How would you represent the Gun Kata used by the Clerics in the movie Equilibrium?

I'm almost thinking some kind of Perk:

Gun Kata
• Prereq: Unarmed Combat +3, Faith +2, Melee Weapons or Fire Combat at +1
This Perk, common among elite inquisitors of the Cyberchurch, allows the use of the adds in Unarmed Combat in place of existing adds when using Fire Combat with pistols. It also allows treating the pistols as Brass Knuckles when engaged in Melee Combat, substituting the adds in Unarmed Combat for Melee Weapons adds.

Thoughts?

Atama

Re: Equilibrium - Gun Kata?

Postby Atama » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm

I suggest reading the previous thread on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1917
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Well...... now I'm embarassed... LOL My Search-Kata apparently failed me..

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 pm

It’s all good. You are trying a different spin on it, making it Cyberpapacy rather than Pan Pacifica, though I think it works in either cosm (Grammaton Cleric already sounds like a valid church position). I just wanted to link to the old thread so you can see another idea about how to implement it, and some discussion around that idea.

Oh and I am a big fan of Equilibrium. Some of the coolest fight scenes I’ve ever watched.

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Atama wrote:It’s all good. You are trying a different spin on it, making it Cyberpapacy rather than Pan Pacifica, though I think it works in either cosm (Grammaton Cleric already sounds like a valid church position). I just wanted to link to the old thread so you can see another idea about how to implement it, and some discussion around that idea.

Oh and I am a big fan of Equilibrium. Some of the coolest fight scenes I’ve ever watched.

I love it too. :) Was first thing I saw Christian Bale in after seeing American Psycho.

Here's my take on making it available to both CP and PP. :)

Everything I've read about the Gun Kata style is that it's mostly a Defensive style that requires quite a bit of brains. So, adjusting it a bit and building into a "tree":

Gun Kata
• Prereq: Cyberpapacy or Pan-Pacifica, Mind 10+, Dodge 2+, Fire Combat 2+
This Perk, common among elite inquisitors of the Cyberchurch, is the basis for several firearm and close combat fighting techniques.

Dodge and Fire Combat are considered Favored Skills. When using Active Defense, the character gains a +2 bonus to the total value.

Short Training
• Prereq: Gun Kata, Dodge 3+, Fire Combat 3+, Unarmed Combat 2+
An uncommon technique of the Gun Kata involves dueling with a single opponent at a very close range. This often includes melee combat with both opponents trying to point a gun at the other and pull the trigger, while at the same time, preventing the enemy from doing the same thing.

When equipped with a Pistol, the character may use their Dodge Skill in place of Melee Weapons or Unarmed Combat skill for defending against Firearms in Melee (Core Rules, page 122). If the attacker misses, the character may spend 2 Shock to take an immediate action against that individual (usually an attack with an equipped pistol, but an unarmed attack or a grappling attack are also common actions).

Thoughts?
Last edited by TCArknight on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 pm

TCArknight wrote:
Atama wrote:It’s all good. You are trying a different spin on it, making it Cyberpapacy rather than Pan Pacifica, though I think it works in either cosm (Grammaton Cleric already sounds like a valid church position). I just wanted to link to the old thread so you can see another idea about how to implement it, and some discussion around that idea.

I love it too. :) Was first thing I saw Christian Bale in after seeing American Psycho.

Here's my take on making it available to both CP and PP. :)

Everything I've read about the Gun Kata style is that it's mostly a Defensive style that requires quite a bit of brains. So, adjusting it a bit and building into a "tree":

<quote><b>Gun Kata</b>
<i>• Prereq: Cyberpapacy or Pan-Pacifica, Mind 10+, Dodge 2+, Fire Combat 2+</i>
This Perk, common among elite inquisitors of the Cyberchurch, is the basis for several firearm and close combat fighting techniques.

Dodge and Fire Combat are considered Favored Skills. When using Active Defense, the character gains a +2 bonus to the total value.
</quote>
<quote><b>Short Training</b>
<i>• Prereq: Gun Kata, Dodge 3+, Fire Combat 3+, Unarmed Combat 2+</i>
An uncommon technique of the Gun Kata involves dueling with a single opponent at a very close range. This often includes melee combat with both opponents trying to point a gun at the other and pull the trigger, while at the same time, preventing the enemy from doing the same thing.

When equipped with a Pistol, the character may use their Dodge Skill in place of Melee Weapons or Unarmed Combat skill for defending against Firearms in Melee (Core Rules, page 122). If the attacker misses, the character may spend 2 Shock to take an immediate action against that individual (usually an attack with an equipped pistol, but an unarmed attack or a grappling attack are also common actions).
</quote>
Thoughts?

Fun take! I'd probably say that the Favored status for Firearms be limited to Pistol. I'm not sure making Dodge a favored skill has much of a mechanical effect. What about ignoring the chance to hit an ally when Shooting into Melee? Since you can anticipate where everyone will be and bend your shots around them? There might already be a perk that does this, but if not that plus Favored when shooting pistols could be about right.

Grae

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 am

It may or may not have been discussed here.. I can't remember. But personally i rule that if you are in melee with a pistol, you are not firing into melee, because you are already in said melee. firing in melee as opposed to into melee.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:46 am

ZorValachan wrote:It may or may not have been discussed here.. I can't remember. But personally i rule that if you are in melee with a pistol, you are not firing into melee, because you are already in said melee. firing in melee as opposed to into melee.

that's a really good point. Rereading them, those headings they are separate... now I wonder if that isn't intended i.e. that you are either shooting in melee or shooting into melee, but not both......

Grae

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:04 am

ZorValachan wrote:It may or may not have been discussed here.. I can't remember. But personally i rule that if you are in melee with a pistol, you are not firing into melee, because you are already in said melee. firing in melee as opposed to into melee.

I make this simple. If my opponent is using Unarmed or Melee Weapons as a defense against my attack then it is a simple miss/hit roll. If they are using Dodge then I risk hitting someone they are adjacent to.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Atama wrote:

I make this simple. If my opponent is using Unarmed or Melee Weapons as a defense against my attack then it is a simple miss/hit roll. If they are using Dodge then I risk hitting someone they are adjacent to.

That's what was ultimately decided. It has to be something that targets Dodge that is in danger of hitting an ally. Oh, and blasts, but that's a different rule.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”