Space, the final frontier...

GeniusCodeMonkey

Space, the final frontier...

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:07 am

OK. I'm sure this has been asked before but...

In TORG is there only every 1 planet in the entire cosm/universe where life (and possibility energy) exists?

If not, why can't a HL of high enough tech/magic/spirit travel from world to world within a universe stealing the possibilities from every living being on every planet? Covering literally billions of civilisations on billions of planets?

Or are HL just lazy and break the cosm boundaries because it's easier than travelling to other planets?

If that is the case, then a cosm isn't drained of possibilities, a planet is... still horrific but it does make you wonder if there is a fleet of ships travelling between worlds like locusts taking there resources and possibility energy.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Istrian

Re: Space, the final frontier...

Postby Istrian » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:07 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:OK. I'm sure this has been asked before but...

In TORG is there only every 1 planet in the entire cosm/universe where life (and possibility energy) exists?

That really depends on whether the individual cosm's metaphysics support the concept of "planet". I wouldn't be surprised if Aysle was flat and the Living Land was an infinite-layered world (like an onion).

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:If that is the case, then a cosm isn't drained of possibilities, a planet is... still horrific but it does make you wonder if there is a fleet of ships travelling between worlds like locusts taking there resources and possibility energy.

I get the feeling from what's been hinted about the Akashans' "doom" that they could be pursued by exactly that.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 am

There isn't an official stance on this to my knowledge because it's considered background info and not relevant to creating and running adventures, and they don't want to paint themselves into a corner.

But my take on it is that the cosm includes the entire universe, and that in each cosm there is a focal point of possibility energy. Conquering that anchor transforms the cosm. For cosms where the story spans different star systems or even galaxies, like the Star Sphere, perhaps there is still a home planet that acts as an "anchor" for the entire reality, or it's an anchor "galaxy" or sector, more than one planet, and that the High Lord must conquer them all in a space opera style conquest, though I would say that stela range should increase if the scale of the anchor increases, light years instead of kilometers perhaps.

But technology isn't the only axiom at work here and physics doesn't work the same everywhere, so you have to remember that reality is meta over all the axioms and so it gets a little weird. Keep in mind that some cosms only have one "planet" or disk or a turtle everyone is living on the back of, or whatever, so an anchor world might not be an actual planet or collection of planets. One can think of these anchor worlds as living creatures of a sort, and a nexus of possibilities for that cosm, and make it into whatever scope fits the adventures that take place there, because that's what matters. My head canon is that it is entirely story and adventure driven, not an attempt to define reality physics.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:20 pm

What I want to know is what the planet looks like from space as these Reality Wars are going on.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Atama wrote:What I want to know is what the planet looks like from space as these Reality Wars are going on.

Really gotta wonder what's going through the minds of anyone up in the ISS when this whole thing started.

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:If not, why can't a HL of high enough tech/magic/spirit travel from world to world within a universe stealing the possibilities from every living being on every planet? Covering literally billions of civilisations on billions of planets?

They probably do! No cosm, however, has high enough tech/magic/spirit to travel from world to world. It seems like 29 is required in any of those, which is an expensive bump up for anyone. Then you have to find the planets with other intelligent living beings. That's a much more expensive prospect.

And for some cosms, perhaps most cosms, a nonsensicle idea. Cyberpapacy is closest to it with any axiom, and even then the entire spiritual tradition teaches there's only one world that's important to God, so why would anyone want to go anywhere else? Similar for Aysle and Living Land (if they even have other planets), and possibly Tharkhold too.

Or are HL just lazy and break the cosm boundaries because it's easier than travelling to other planets?

Well, they're definitely the types going for the quickest and easiest paths for the greatest rewards. To become Torg, I think conquering other cosms is pretty much the requirement. The Darkness Devices are all about crossing realities, so that travel is easy. They are not about crossing interstellar distances, so it's not really any easier for them than it would be for us. Ruling a single universe would just be a waste of millennia of time.

It might also be not worth with. A planet can be 1 billion light years away, but it's still (probably) under the same axioms and cosm laws. What energy is there to harvest? The denizens are part of the same cosm, whether or not the HL rules over them.

I would argue that conquering your universe does little to nothing for possibility energy. Perhaps the HL's only took over their worlds because they wanted to, or needed the resources and near absolutely control to launch their invasions. It's taking over other realities that brings the juice that fuels the DDs and brings the prospect of becoming Torg.

Padre

Postby Padre » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Let's see. Core Earth, Pan Pacifica, Cyberpapacy, and Tharkold all have the tech level to visit at least the moon, if not other planets. Of those, only Pan Pacifica and Core Earth would probably do so. The Cyberpapacy might, but they are not philosophically inclined. Tharkold has the ability, but is more concerned with going to other cosms rather than other planets. On the other hand, I could see a Technodemon choosing to do so if he or shes saw it as a way of asserting their dominance over the rest of demons. The Nile Empire is a special case. Terra has probably already visited the moon and other uplanets through weird science. Interplanetary travel is definitely in genre, if for no other reason than Jules Verne wrote books about it.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:41 am

New idea that I may or may not try to throw at my home group:

Storm Knights are sent up one of the maelstrom bridges (say the Gaunt Man). They deal with a few things in the home cosm, but it all eventually leads them to another maelstrom bridge, so they prepare to enter yet another reality.

Only the axioms and world laws are quite familiar. They’re back in Core Earth, but now they’re on an alien planet 400 million lightyears from Earth. The invaders have sent their maelstrom bridges onto this planet as well, which is also rich in Possibility Energy.

Bonus complication, this planet had been under the Core Earth axioms, but they only advanced to tech level 18, and the knowledge of higher-tech realms like Cyberpapacy, Nile Empire, and others have shown them what they can accomplish and have undergone a rapid industrial revolution that lets them catch up to our tech level.

And perhaps an effort is made to create a portal to this distant planet by hijacking one of the invader’s bridges.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 am

It's just my speculation, but a Cosm have to be possibility-rich to have multiple planets filled with life, even more for multiple star systems.
(Maybe some World Laws can boost the chance for extraterrestrial life to exist, and Terran Martians may be enjoying the benefit...)
And, if possibility-rich Cosms can allow local Axiom shift like oTorg reality metaphysics do, physically unreachable planets with different "Living-Unliving" possibility cycles mutually unrelated to each other can develop local Axiom difference large enough to essentially be different Reality even though they are theoretically "physically in the same Cosm", somewhat like oTorg "Pocket Cosms". And if there are any prosperous Reality worth conquering beyond interstellar gap, High Lords would use their Maelstrom Bridges unless they already have interstellar travel tool under their Axiom.

In short, I think Torg Possibility metaphysics is quite anthropocentric, and unreachable alien planets would be treated like different Cosms.

Istrian wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Aysle was flat and the Living Land was an infinite-layered world (like an onion).

Aysle IS flat.
https://www.ulisses-us.com/TorgEternityWiki/index.php?title=Aysle
Aysle is a strange disc-shaped world with various layers and a hole in its middle where the sun passes. It was in the darkness of the “Land Between“ that Uthorion had so devastated the dwarves.

I'm not sure about TorgE Takta Kar but oTorg one was a planet with a rotation period of 36 hours, very little axis tilt to provide little seasonal difference, and five continents(northern polar tundra continent called Heta which is no colder than autumn morning on Earth but still considered uncomfortable for Edeinos, and four inhabited continents Jister, Palcoc. Yerqu, Vandast) which revolves around bright, white sun.
(Again I'm not sure how Edeinos understood their land as a continent and named it, developed intercontinental travel, and found the concept of solar system under permanent and global oTorg Deep Mist.)
As far as I know, in oTorg most of the other Cosms were planet worlds, but Magna Verita was a Flat Earth(note that even in oTorg Magna Verita Christopher Columbus reached America, following the legendary path of Saint Brendan the Navigator. Maybe there is no Bering Strait in Magna Verita).

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”