Wi-Fi or wireless?

Yoric

Wi-Fi or wireless?

Postby Yoric » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:53 am

The Sourcebook mentions "wi-fi" several times. It strikes me as odd that the Cyberpapacy would comply with Core Earth IEEE 802.11x. Shouldn't this be "wireless" instead?

TorgHacker

Re: Wi-Fi or wireless?

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:26 am

Yoric wrote:The Sourcebook mentions "wi-fi" several times. It strikes me as odd that the Cyberpapacy would comply with Core Earth IEEE 802.11x. Shouldn't this be "wireless" instead?

Only because as it turns out, WiFi is a registered trademark, which I did not know.

Could really do without the sarcasm though. The knowledge that WiFi is a specific IEEE standard is not universal.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:49 am

Sorry, this wasn't intended as sarcasm. The first few times I read it in the book, I assumed that there was an actual Wi-Fi compatibility layer, which struck me as odd but possible – after all, the Cyberpapacy is not Magna Verita, so maybe it made it easier to interact with existing Core Earth infrastructures.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:57 am

Rpgs are how I learn stuff I would have no idea about. Like the Papal Schism and the difference between WiFi and wireless. Funny how you think these two have nothing in common. :D

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:14 am

In my game I renamed the wireless connection "Grace" but found after a few sessions that my players all just called it wifi anyway, so may as well go with the flow.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Wi-Fi is my bread and butter at work, and still I tend to forget it's a trademark due to the universal usage in daily talk. Wireless works I think, though I would find it amusing to see Holy Spirit used as a synonym. And the Church would probably trademark it. Holy Spirit (tm)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Wi-Fi is my bread and butter at work, and still I tend to forget it's a trademark due to the universal usage in daily talk. Wireless works I think, though I would find it amusing to see Holy Spirit used as a synonym. And the Church would probably trademark it. Holy Spirit (tm)

Kind of like Kleenex instead of facial tissue and Xerox for photocopying.

Holy Spirit is good, although I prefer Greymarch2000’s Grace, for the ubiquitous presence of the GodNet’s emanations. Believers with neural interfaces could have a constant sensation of Presence in place of signal bars. Addictive? Hell yeah! When Cosms Collide had that when it showed the strung-out Church Police in Aysle when their Cyberpriest miracle fix had been killed.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 am

Yoric wrote:Sorry, this wasn't intended as sarcasm. The first few times I read it in the book, I assumed that there was an actual Wi-Fi compatibility layer, which struck me as odd but possible – after all, the Cyberpapacy is not Magna Verita, so maybe it made it easier to interact with existing Core Earth infrastructures.

It'd make complete sense. The cyberpapacy wants visitors to feel welcome. "Come to the cyberpapacy. Ditch your data plan. All of your existing wireless protocols work here."

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 am

Yoric wrote:Sorry, this wasn't intended as sarcasm. The first few times I read it in the book, I assumed that there was an actual Wi-Fi compatibility layer, which struck me as odd but possible – after all, the Cyberpapacy is not Magna Verita, so maybe it made it easier to interact with existing Core Earth infrastructures.

Actually re-reading the stuff, I have the feeling that most uses of Wi-Fi mean "wireless" but there are a few that do mean Wi-Fi (tm).

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:36 am

Considering the Cyberpapcy sent advance agents to prepare the population, wouldn't it make sense they also sent a tech or two to look over the existing tech? And since we openly publish our wireless tech protocols, it wouldn't be a stretch to say a behind the scenes software update would make CP tech compatable with our existing protocols. Especially since it's already established that all wireless devices within the axiom wash automatically installed the GodNet upon the arrival of the CP.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”