All these prayers...

Yoric

All these prayers...

Postby Yoric » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:07 am

So, pretty much everything in the Cyberpapacy seems to be prayer-activated. I dig it.

"Thank You, O Lord, for the blessing of cooking my food in the Trigon Multi-use Oven that You, in Your Eternal Wisdom, have seen fit to provide this family in our hour of hunger."

Now, let's get to the specifics: how does this work? Is it sufficient for non-believers to feign a prayer? Is this the equivalent of Siri/Alexa with some kind of AI (or even a worker) listening for the prayer or is there a supernatural component to this?

TorgHacker

Re: All these prayers...

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:29 am

Yoric wrote:So, pretty much everything in the Cyberpapacy seems to be prayer-activated. I dig it.

"Thank You, O Lord, for the blessing of cooking my food in the Trigon Multi-use Oven that You, in Your Eternal Wisdom, have seen fit to provide this family in our hour of hunger."

Now, let's get to the specifics: how does this work? Is it sufficient for non-believers to feign a prayer? Is this the equivalent of Siri/Alexa with some kind of AI (or even a worker) listening for the prayer or is there a supernatural component to this?

GM’s call.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Do I understand correctly that these prayers don't need an actual faith to work? Anybody can utter a prayer to, say, log or unlog from the GodNet, without having to actually believe in the Cyberchurch?

What about praying for revelations. Does this work only for actual believers?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Yoric wrote:Do I understand correctly that these prayers don't need an actual faith to work? Anybody can utter a prayer to, say, log or unlog from the GodNet, without having to actually believe in the Cyberchurch?

What about praying for revelations. Does this work only for actual believers?

GM's call.

The thing is that we only have enough room to go into so much detail...and some people are going to want more details than others.

I can say that you don't need to have faith to enter the GodNet. But beyond that, it's up to the GM on what stories they want to tell.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I see an in game Monty Python reference in this.

"Bless this, O Lord, your Holy EMP Grenade. As it is written in the Book of Armaments, we shall pull the pin and count three . . ."

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 pm

<Personal take>For reference only:
The Cyberchurch doesn't quite have the Spirit to actually power things through prayer. If somehow Lanala and the Living Land got jump kicked to a 27 Tech (to allow for biotech because Cybernetics would be, well, gross to Lanala) and 18 Social prompting a bioware security state, I could see the tech items actually requiring Faith to work. But not so in Magna Verita.

I see the 'Players' as verbal/somatic passwords (A-la the "Peter Panda Dance"). As long as the person can reenact the code, the security monitoring device recognizes that and the item works. The monitors cannot test for Faith, only obedience.

This is not common knowledge, however. Many people have 'faith' that their toaster only works through the grace of Malraux. Many people are convinced that the prayers are what heat up the coils, not the electricity. Some are convinced that they would be unable to correctly insert a pot roast if they didn't utter the right prayer...(like the tech-priests of the original Battletech/Mechwarrior who honestly believed that "Turning the wrench thusly" was just part of a prayer and not how one removes a bad armor plate.) This is insidious as people become psychologically unable to do simple tasks without praying first, even if you cut them off from the Godnet completely.
</personal take>
That's probably a lot to try and fit into limited space, so even if the developers agreed 100% with the above, "GM's call" is probably better.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:11 am

TorgHacker wrote:The thing is that we only have enough room to go into so much detail...and some people are going to want more details than others.

I'm pretty sure that you have an idea of which side of the spectrum I'm on by now :)

But sure, I understand space limitations. Won't prevent me from being curious, though :)

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:56 am

It has just dawned to me that praying for revelation is probably how most investigations work in the Cyberpapacy (with the odd William of Baskerville here and there). God will literally help Justice find the Guilty.

That sounds like a very interesting plot mechanism. Also, one that will keep the players even further on their toes.

It might ruin "There's a mole in the Resistance Cell" plots, though, unless Ebenescrux is somehow blocking such prayers – or perhaps unless there are Inquisition priests praying day and night to actually block such prayers.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 am

But just like the real-life witch trials, people could abuse religion to further their own political goals.

Cardinal Lux: God spoke to me and revealed that Bishop Martel was the one who murdered the priest out of jealousy.
Bishop Martel: Preposterous!
Cardinal Lux: You dare defy the word of God? Do your duty, faithful officers, and execute this man.
Bishop Martel: But I’m innocent. Lux just wants me out of the way because he fears I’ll outrank him soon.
Church Police: Sorry, Bishop, but it’s what God wants. Cardinal prayed for it.

You could do some interesting intrigue scenarios where the Storm Knights have to work with the faithful in order to choose the lesser of two evils.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Yoric wrote:It has just dawned to me that praying for revelation is probably how most investigations work in the Cyberpapacy (with the odd William of Baskerville here and there). God will literally help Justice find the Guilty.

That sounds like a very interesting plot mechanism. Also, one that will keep the players even further on their toes.

It might ruin "There's a mole in the Resistance Cell" plots, though, unless Ebenescrux is somehow blocking such prayers – or perhaps unless there are Inquisition priests praying day and night to actually block such prayers.

My guess is that Malraux almost certainly, and Ebenescrux DefiniteLY do not want this happening:
"Oh God, show me the villains responsible for our city's woes?"+Extreme Faith

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”