What does Magna Verita look like?

Yoric

What does Magna Verita look like?

Postby Yoric » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:22 pm

So, before the Cyberpapacy Sourcebook, I imagined Magna Verita as a mostly dead world, patrolled by robots, in which most believers spend their entire life immersed within the Heaven that is GodNet, without ever opening their physical eyes to the material world. The material world would belong to the robots and the witches, with the occasional Cyberpriest in charge of technical operations – and the armies of the Cyberpapacy, ready for the next Crusade.

Well, clearly, this is not Magna Verita in Torg: Eternity. The Law of Stagnation itself seems to have saved the inhabitants of Magna Verita from that fate :)

But what does Magna Verita look like? Is it exactly like the Cyberpapacy, just larger, or are there meaningful differences?

MadSci

Re: What does Magna Verita look like?

Postby MadSci » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:42 am

Yoric wrote:So, before the Cyberpapacy Sourcebook, I imagined Magna Verita as a mostly dead world, patrolled by robots, in which most believers spend their entire life immersed within the Heaven that is GodNet, without ever opening their physical eyes to the material world. The material world would belong to the robots and the witches, with the occasional Cyberpriest in charge of technical operations – and the armies of the Cyberpapacy, ready for the next Crusade.

Well, clearly, this is not Magna Verita in Torg: Eternity. The Law of Stagnation itself seems to have saved the inhabitants of Magna Verita from that fate :)

But what does Magna Verita look like? Is it exactly like the Cyberpapacy, just larger, or are there meaningful differences?

Some of your ideas here are what I predict happening in Year Two for the Cyberpapacy: Ebenuscrux supplants the mind of Jean Malraux, operating the cyborg body as a puppet. Church doctrine changes (following the previous doctrine going down the Memory Hole) to encourage ever more time in the GodNet. Voluntarily making oneself Angel Bait becomes the ultimate act of piety. Implant the bodies with a Spirit Chips and the Flesh becomes like the movie Surrogates.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:44 am

MadSci wrote:Some of your ideas here are what I predict happening in Year Two for the Cyberpapacy: Ebenuscrux supplants the mind of Jean Malraux, operating the cyborg body as a puppet. Church doctrine changes (following the previous doctrine going down the Memory Hole) to encourage ever more time in the GodNet. Voluntarily making oneself Angel Bait becomes the ultimate act of piety. Implant the bodies with a Spirit Chips and the Flesh becomes like the movie Surrogates.

From what I've read, Ebenescrux is quite happy with Malraux at the moment, and Malraux wouldn't dare go to war against God so I don't think that the former will happen. If the former doesn't happen, it's kind of unlikely that the society will change meaningfully.

Although it would be pretty cool :)

Perhaps if the Techquisition somehow manages to acquire Lost World technology that Ebenescrux can use to plunder more Possibilities within GodNet than without, Ebenescrux can convince (or force) Malraux to change the doctrine, though.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Boy howdy, is that one that I want to get into, but I'll be saving most of that for an Infiniverse thing down the road.

There are a good five billion people back on MV, livin' the lives that they live... going to work (idle hands are the devil's playthings!), relaxing to some good ol' fashioned hymns or chants, engaging in some lite art (sculpture most commonly), raising kids, and, in general, just doing their best to resist temptation, make right with the lord, and bring praise to the Cyberchurch.

Most of the time, they're pretty chill, but when the Great Bell rings out and the Cyberpope announces the start of a new Great Crusade, the cries of "DEUS VULT!" echo through the streets across every nation as the fervor starts ratcheting up.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:49 am

Ok, so far, it looks like Cyberpapacy-but-larger :)

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:16 am

Truth is, I keep hoping for some kind of larger reveals on origin Cosms.

We already know that Gaea is dying, possibly already dead. Nobody's sure what's going on in Aysle or Tharkold and the roads from both Cosms seem to be closing. There were hints in the Core Book that could be interpreted as the fact that Magna Verita was also somehow on lockdown. At this stage, it's not even certain that there are any kinds of communication between Pan-Pacifica and Gokuraku.

For the moment, the only two Cosms that seem to have no difficulty communicating with home are the Living Land and the Nile Empire.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't some interesting plot behind some or all of this :)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:30 am

Yoric wrote:Truth is, I keep hoping for some kind of larger reveals on origin Cosms.

We already know that Gaea is dying, possibly already dead. Nobody's sure what's going on in Aysle or Tharkold and the roads from both Cosms seem to be closing. There were hints in the Core Book that could be interpreted as the fact that Magna Verita was also somehow on lockdown. At this stage, it's not even certain that there are any kinds of communication between Pan-Pacifica and Gokuraku.

For the moment, the only two Cosms that seem to have no difficulty communicating with home are the Living Land and the Nile Empire.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't some interesting plot behind some or all of this :)

We'll probably do something regarding the origin cosms, but not for awhile. We're focused pretty hard on what happens on Earth. We mention the home cosms when it's relevant, but we don't want to spend too many words on them.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:52 am

TorgHacker wrote:We'll probably do something regarding the origin cosms, but not for awhile. We're focused pretty hard on what happens on Earth. We mention the home cosms when it's relevant, but we don't want to spend too many words on them.

Makes sense. In the meantime, if I ever get my PCs to visit Magna Verita or Gokuraku, I'll just wing it :)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Info on "off-Earth" cosms will definitely be useful for GMs whose players end up traversing a Maelstrom Bridge, and as such I hope we get content about that . . . eventually. Right now, we don't even have books on all eight* cosms, and it would be a mistake to shift any focus to other realms when we still don't have this one fleshed out.

* Core Earth is absolutely its own cosm worthy of a full sourcebook, and I'm hoping that Year 2 leads with that right after the Orrorsh book. Mind you, "micro-sourcebooks" like Religions of Core Earth are helping to fill that need, and appreciated.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm

pkitty wrote:Info on "off-Earth" cosms will definitely be useful for GMs whose players end up traversing a Maelstrom Bridge, and as such I hope we get content about that . . . eventually. Right now, we don't even have books on all eight* cosms, and it would be a mistake to shift any focus to other realms when we still don't have this one fleshed out.

* Core Earth is absolutely its own cosm worthy of a full sourcebook, and I'm hoping that Year 2 leads with that right after the Orrorsh book. Mind you, "micro-sourcebooks" like Religions of Core Earth are helping to fill that need, and appreciated.

We have plans. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”