GodNet vs. Reality

Fuzzy

Re: GodNet vs. Reality

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Yeah, but I have to say... now that I reread it three or four times, I'm also struggling with this...

"Most people do appear essentially identical to
how they look in the Flesh—scars and everything.
If they’re strong in the Flesh, they’re strong in the
GodNet. Their clothing and any equipment is
that with which they logged in. More bizarrely,
if consumables, such as ammunition or potions,
are used, or objects are lost (or acquired) in the
GodNet, that fact is reflected in the Flesh as well.
Exactly how this works is a mystery—
miraculous
even."

Ok, that "or acquired" bit slipped past my first read... but, wow. I honestly think that's game breaking. It's also game-breaking in combination with something like the Cybercommunion miracle. Here are the implications:

Cyberknight and team go to Living Land. Unlike everyone else in the world, they can use cybercommunion (with a cybereucharist) since it's tech 23 or spirit 8 (which I believe is EVERY cosm). Then cyberknight jumps in, and can receive pretty much anything. Now, I suppose we could limit that to "stuff the cyberknight can carry" but that's still pretty dang expansive. Basically, we're talking about something that's even more game changing than the Aysle Underground (which was pretty impactful and is a lot harder to abuse).

But even without cybercommunion, it has tremendous implications. I would strongly suggest putting some sort of boundaries on this (i.e. small personal items only?). Even then, it would allow weapons, ammo, etc. to be transported through the godnet. But it would also allow things to be made in the godnet and transported out...

At a minimum:

- Limit to small, personal items
- Something can only be gained if it is "real", that is if it was a real thing brought into the godnet and then handed over

But, honestly, the safest and simplest thing to do is just completely strike the words "or acquired". So, if you bring in ammo and use it... it's used. But if you acquire something in the godnet, then barring very very special circumstances, it doesn't leave the godnet.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:04 pm

This is the GM's call territory, but remember hacking into the GodNet is no longer a solo operation. The player character going alone into the GodNet isn't just going to waltz in and acquire a lot of stuff (or one very major thing) to to take back. And it lasts for 1, 5, or 30 minutes. The group's priest is going to have to invoke that miracle a number of times and may not have the Possibilities to make sure they all last 30 minutes, which may not even be enough time to get the stuff. If the group actually sets up a group run, then that's at least another scene and probably worth what they can find/acquire in 30 minutes.

Also the last paragraph of the miracle (to me) seems to imply it's not a complete entering/connection as they don't go virtually and only have access to the GodNet to upload/download information and/or contact others in the GodNet Akin to the time before smartphones, where your phone could get email and do very limited browsing on the internet.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Well, if this works, this is a game-changer indeed!

Imagine the Delphi Council using Cybercommunion + the Land of Nod as a mean to smuggle artifacts out of dungeons or into the Nile Empire. I personally like that idea very much :)

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:02 pm

Fuzzy wrote:Yeah, but I have to say... now that I reread it three or four times, I'm also struggling with this...

"Most people do appear essentially identical to
how they look in the Flesh—scars and everything.
If they’re strong in the Flesh, they’re strong in the
GodNet. Their clothing and any equipment is
that with which they logged in. More bizarrely,
if consumables, such as ammunition or potions,
are used, or objects are lost (or acquired) in the
GodNet, that fact is reflected in the Flesh as well.
Exactly how this works is a mystery—
miraculous
even."

Ok, that "or acquired" bit slipped past my first read... but, wow. I honestly think that's game breaking. It's also game-breaking in combination with something like the Cybercommunion miracle. Here are the implications:

Cyberknight and team go to Living Land. Unlike everyone else in the world, they can use cybercommunion (with a cybereucharist) since it's tech 23 or spirit 8 (which I believe is EVERY cosm). Then cyberknight jumps in, and can receive pretty much anything. Now, I suppose we could limit that to "stuff the cyberknight can carry" but that's still pretty dang expansive. Basically, we're talking about something that's even more game changing than the Aysle Underground (which was pretty impactful and is a lot harder to abuse).

But even without cybercommunion, it has tremendous implications. I would strongly suggest putting some sort of boundaries on this (i.e. small personal items only?). Even then, it would allow weapons, ammo, etc. to be transported through the godnet. But it would also allow things to be made in the godnet and transported out...

At a minimum:

- Limit to small, personal items
- Something can only be gained if it is "real", that is if it was a real thing brought into the godnet and then handed over

But, honestly, the safest and simplest thing to do is just completely strike the words "or acquired". So, if you bring in ammo and use it... it's used. But if you acquire something in the godnet, then barring very very special circumstances, it doesn't leave the godnet.

ZorValachan wrote:Also the last paragraph of the miracle (to me) seems to imply it's not a complete entering/connection as they don't go virtually and only have access to the GodNet to upload/download information and/or contact others in the GodNet Akin to the time before smartphones, where your phone could get email and do very limited browsing on the internet.

I'm moderately confident that ZorValachan's interpretation is correct. That section (from the CP SB) which mentions acquiring items in the GodNet is surely talking about while in full VR mode, rather than the limited connectivity provided by Cybercommunion. *shrug*
Glitchfinder General

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”