Radio Signal Question

graethynne

Radio Signal Question

Postby graethynne » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Hey Folks,

According to the FAQ "That being said, communications, like radio waves in the Living Land, can be contradictory. Two radios held by Storm Knights can only communicate if they're within one kilometer."

*spoiler for Earth's Dinosaur Mission from the LL DC Missions book*

The briefing for this mission says that the DC had been receiving regular updates from the hard point in the mission "by radio". Once in the mission proper there is an opportunity to fix the broken radio with a Science test.

So my question is this - is the hard point within a kilometer of the reality boundary? Was the adventure written before the radio signal issue was clarified? Or, is there some other reason that the radio would work? I like the communication hook, and worst case I could replace the radio with a satellite phone, and just let the Hard Point extend far enough upward that the signal can escape. Bonus question - any one know how high up Living Land reality extends? I know Malreux raised the ceiling of the CP to 100 KM per the CP sourcebook.

Thanks!

Grae

pkitty

Re: Radio Signal Question

Postby pkitty » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:44 pm

I just checked the Day 90 maps at https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... onDlAhY1d0

Looks like Chicago is right on the edge of the LL boundaries. Cicero basically represents the westernmost edge of the Chicago metro, so that would easily be within 1 km of the edge. And that particular area hasn't changed much even a year later. So not really an issue IMO.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:38 am

pkitty wrote:I just checked the Day 90 maps at https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... onDlAhY1d0

Looks like Chicago is right on the edge of the LL boundaries. Cicero basically represents the westernmost edge of the Chicago metro, so that would easily be within 1 km of the edge. And that particular area hasn't changed much even a year later. So not really an issue IMO.

Not to split hairs, but technically it doesn't look like it's within a KM

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1400+S+ ... 33!1m0!3e0

Compared with

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... onDlAhY1d0

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:04 am

Hand wave! Have the radio coloured in red and blue stripes and say it's Marconi's original radio that was on tour during the invasion. It's an eternity shared that can break the 1km limit with its power to enhance communication between all people.... and it's currently broken.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:43 am

Alternatively the DC could have a green-and-keen Storm Knight enter the LL and stop within 1km of the radio to get updates. Too green to do the mission of course (unless you want to add an extra "save the greenhorn" complication).

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:09 pm

IMO it's still close enough for government work. But if you feel the need to justify it, just say that it's a feature of the hardpoint. "The Chicago hardpoint is strong enough to give a nudge to communication-based contradictions, which can travel up to 3 km from the edge of the hardpoint rather than the usual 1 km."
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:53 pm

graethynne wrote:Not to split hairs, but technically it doesn't look like it's within a KM

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1400+S+ ... 33!1m0!3e0

Compared with

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... onDlAhY1d0

I have not read the mission as I hope to play in it someday. Is your starting address in the distance check given in the adventure?

The post you quoted mentioned Cicero, and it is significantly closer to the edge than where you started.

I suppose my underlying question is, "Why can't the Radio signal be from somewhere within 1Km of the edge?" Or at least from somewhere that the Mixes zone doesn't end until less than 1Km from the edge?

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:28 am

Also, the storm fronts fluctuate, so it could be possible that the storms recede to a point that’s within 1 km of the hardpoint. But then it ebbs outward and plunges the hardpoint into a larger zone. This can also make the radio transmissions really unreliable. Does radio silence mean that the resistance was wiped out? Did it move deeper into the realm? Or was it just because the storms have been more stable and preventing the radio waves from crossing?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Sorry folks been really sick for a few days which kept me from replying.

the distance is based on the real world address of the museum in Chicago. Which was (head fuzzy with cold* about 8 miles from the edge which seemed pretty far to be variable down 1 KM.

I like the Greenhorn booster solution, but 12 clicks seems like a lot for that. So, I'll probably swap the radio for a sat phone and say the hardpoint goes up for some reason (if my PCs ask, and if not I may just leave it alone).

Thanks all!

Grae

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 am

Istrian wrote:Alternatively the DC could have a green-and-keen Storm Knight enter the LL and stop within 1km of the radio to get updates. Too green to do the mission of course (unless you want to add an extra "save the greenhorn" complication).

Delphi Council has the Marathon(communication) Division. Once they know that there is a radio in the hardpoint, then can routinely send couriers to establish regular communication. (Since the survivors in the hardpoint want to keep low profile, sending radio signals instead of directly entering the hardpoint makes sense...Jakatts are not good at intercepting radio signals)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”