Preview #4 - Core Earth and the Living Land

TorgHacker

Preview #4 - Core Earth and the Living Land

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:28 am

Here we can discuss the latest preview, this time on Core Earth and the Living Land.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... ving-land/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

merryneils

Re: Preview #4 - Core Earth and the Living Land

Postby merryneils » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

I like everything I read so far except for the Delphi Council, it was really fun in O'Torg... But maybe not too difficult to bring it back, we'll see...
What I'd love is a way to manage the war at Earth level (such as Companies in REIGN for example).
Cosm cards seem really cool.
Great job, and thanks for the previews. :D

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 am

Ya'll are killing me with excitement! Image

So far I've liked nearly every single change you've made, and this is no exception. This version of the Living Land is pretty much how I've run it for years -- the Deep Mist comes and goes, bits of jungle-swallowed tech still remain here and there, Baruk Kaah is terrifying, Living Land dinos look pretty much like Core Earth dinos, and the edeinos are capable of just enough organization to make them an effective enemy.

Similarly, I used to run the Delphi Council as "good guys," albeit with some uncomfortably gray areas in their methodology. I always thought they should be a little more reliable, as they make a great resource for organizing Storm Knights, gathering information, and incentivizing missions.

I also approve of keeping the Gaunt Man in the game through the start of the invasion. I guess the original writers thought his presence would make things impossible, but I disagreed, and he's scary enough that having him nerfed at the start seemed a lost opportunity.

I had a momentary reaction to the idea that only Core Earthers could invoke Reality Storms, but it does make sense when one thinks about it. It helps boost the notion that we're special somehow, and that some inherent dynamic tendency has put a unique defensive tool in our hands that others don't have.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am

merryneils wrote:I like everything I read so far except for the Delphi Council, it was really fun in O'Torg... But maybe not too difficult to bring it back, we'll see...

I'm sure there are unsavory elements within the Delphi Council that don't get punished because they "get things done." Maybe this could be the Ares Division or Gorgon Ops.

Having a central command was one thing missing from Torg. To this day, I'm not quite sure how I managed to get my college group to agree to stick together after their adventure in Atlanta. But that's the great thing about good guys. They have a common goal. And I imagine that it will be easy to run a game where the PCs are Delphi operatives or are barely acknowledged.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:I had a momentary reaction to the idea that only Core Earthers could invoke Reality Storms, but it does make sense when one thinks about it. It helps boost the notion that we're special somehow, and that some inherent dynamic tendency has put a unique defensive tool in our hands that others don't have.

Equally excited but I think you've read the perk bit wrong.
I think it means that they can get a perk that prevents reality storms from being invoked against them

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:17 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:
I had a momentary reaction to the idea that only Core Earthers could invoke Reality Storms, but it does make sense when one thinks about it. It helps boost the notion that we're special somehow, and that some inherent dynamic tendency has put a unique defensive tool in our hands that others don't have.

IMO Core Earth really is something special and unique beyond just having much more Possibility Energy than any other cosm. The way I look at it, Core Earth has the potential to be the most powerful cosm in the cosmverse, but that potential is hampered by the fact that practically nobody on Earth knows how to harness the power it has.

And the Reality Perks are the physical and mechanical reflection of that.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:20 pm

PrinceEarwig wrote:
hawaiianbrian wrote:I had a momentary reaction to the idea that only Core Earthers could invoke Reality Storms, but it does make sense when one thinks about it. It helps boost the notion that we're special somehow, and that some inherent dynamic tendency has put a unique defensive tool in our hands that others don't have.

I think it means that they can get a perk that prevents reality storms from being invoked against them

No, he has it correct.

There's a suite of Reality Perks that you have to be from Core Earth in order to take, including negation of another's Possibility expenditure (though it's not automatic), invoking reality storms, and granting Possibilities to others. All the other cosms have something special that they've got, and now Core Earth has one too.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:04 pm

BTW, that is, in fact, Baruk Kaah in the picture.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
PrinceEarwig wrote:

No, he has it correct.

There's a suite of Reality Perks that you have to be from Core Earth in order to take, including negation of another's Possibility expenditure (though it's not automatic), invoking reality storms, and granting Possibilities to others. All the other cosms have something special that they've got, and now Core Earth has one too.

Is it safe to assume that other realities will as well have their own "special only-cosm" perks?
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Yes, but not necessarily in the Corebook. We only have so much room, so some will need to wait until the cosm books.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”