Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

TorgHacker

Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 am

This week we do another setting preview, this time on the cosms of Aysle and the Cyberpapacy!

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... berpapacy/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZeDiac

Re: Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

Postby ZeDiac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am

Nice to see news about Cyberpapacy and France ! ;)

I find it a little bit annoying that Malraux knows the cyber for a long time before arriving in Europe since I like the setting of having the cosm being recently updated and have to deal with it. However it is interesting to have Malraux controlling the cybertools for a while because he is more dangerous then.

Questions :
- how will the GodNet will work : with wireless or through cable connection as in the original version ?
- what do you mean by "the Godnet would be able to act in other realities" ? Will the GN be able to produce programs at the upper technological axiom limits of these cosms, say it can send the best viruses the technological axiom can support ?

I am less interested in Aysle (I always was actually) however I really like the proposal of "improvised magic", sounds very fun and I can't wait for more infos about it ! It is also coherent with the world law of Magic. I am less enthusiastic about the Law of Enchantment but I would need more details.

And to conclude with the preview :
- I like the maps : France and Spain ! eventually Malraux has eventually a larger territory which is great (and good for selling the product to our Spanish RPGers neighbors ;) )
- mmmm I think I see a piece of another realm in Russia... Tharkold I guess :mrgreen: ...but the "snow like" territory with a hardpoint in it ???? mmm it brings my curiosity to a very high level !! feed me with infos !
"Storm is coming"

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:31 am

I like the revised map, especially the maintaining of the hard points of London and Paris.
What is the third hard point in the London/Paris triangle though?

I also spotted the snow field reality zone, which isn't stelae bounded.. so what could that be?
The hard point in there looks like St. Petersburg, which is as good a candidate for a Core Earth hardpoint as any.. My bet is going to be that Tharkold have managed to get their zombie virus outside of their stelae zone? or maybe the axiom wash did some damage and was then pushed back so that area represents what "would" have been held but has suffered some in the defence.

Fascinating.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 pm

ZeDiac wrote:Nice to see news about Cyberpapacy and France ! ;)

I find it a little bit annoying that Malraux knows the cyber for a long time before arriving in Europe since I like the setting of having the cosm being recently updated and have to deal with it. However it is interesting to have Malraux controlling the cybertools for a while because he is more dangerous then.

That's a big reason. The other reason is that computer networks and the like were super-new when Torg first came out, so WE didn't even know what that sort of thing was like. Now we do, and we're applying those lessons. :-)

Questions :
- how will the GodNet will work : with wireless or through cable connection as in the original version ?

Wired. At least at the start.

- what do you mean by "the Godnet would be able to act in other realities" ? Will the GN be able to produce programs at the upper technological axiom limits of these cosms, say it can send the best viruses the technological axiom can support ?

That, plus some other stuff.

And to conclude with the preview :
- I like the maps : France and Spain ! eventually Malraux has eventually a larger territory which is great (and good for selling the product to our Spanish RPGers neighbors ;) )
- mmmm I think I see a piece of another realm in Russia... Tharkold I guess :mrgreen: ...but the "snow like" territory with a hardpoint in it ???? mmm it brings my curiosity to a very high level !! feed me with infos !

Huh. Look at that. I wonder what's up with that.

;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:06 pm

PrinceEarwig wrote:I like the revised map, especially the maintaining of the hard points of London and Paris.
What is the third hard point in the London/Paris triangle though?

The beaches of Normandy.

I also spotted the snow field reality zone, which isn't stelae bounded.. so what could that be?

Hmmmmm... Yes that IS interesting, isn't it? :)

The hard point in there looks like St. Petersburg, which is as good a candidate for a Core Earth hardpoint as any.. My bet is going to be that Tharkold have managed to get their zombie virus outside of their stelae zone? or maybe the axiom wash did some damage and was then pushed back so that area represents what "would" have been held but has suffered some in the defence.

Fascinating.

Yes, the hardpoint is St. Petersburg. Specifically the Winter Palace.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

It appears as though the English Channel is actually connecting the Aysle and Cyberpapacy stelae to make the mixed zone. That's reasonable once it was established that stelae from different realities could do that.

Are we still going to have light and dark Aysle triangles that flip at random intervals? My first "month" in my "main" campaign (I had two running at once at the beginning of Torg) flipped the London Triangle (which needed a 40+) and it never flipped back. That made for a much darker story than the Infiniverse narrative.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:46 pm

On another front, the "improvised magic" idea is probably the means of unveiling the simplified spell design system. Expect a reworking of every spell ever created into that new system.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Law of Enchantment: Is that the "we make eternity shards" law?

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 pm

These two realms appear to have changed the least, from what I've seen.

It's a shame Aysle didn't stretch down into eastern Europe instead of Scandinavia. Seems like the population there, being greater, would make for a juicier target. Lots of cool castles throughout Germany and the Alps (including Castle Dracula!) and even down to Italy. Aysle "wrapping around" the Cyberpapacy would be interesting. I might do that in my home games, who knows. Plus, Aysle is the only realm that could plausibly create pirates (of the Caribbean variety), but having them sailing frigid North Sea waters somehow throws off the image. With some of the Mediterranean under Aysle influence, that could be more possible.

One thing I never did with Aysle, ever since it came out, was have magic as ubiquitous as the rules suggested. I never liked the idea of everyone knowing a magic spell or two, in part because it complicated things a lot, in part because it led to some weird ponderables (If magic were that common and accessible, would they have ever needed technology at all? Wouldn't all buildings be constructed using magic, all fields plowed using magic, heck maybe all food just be summoned with magic?), and in part because I had a really hard time picturing what it would actually be like there. My personal favorite fantasy "flavor" is low magic, somewhat dark fantasy, where very few people can master magic, most don't trust it (or its practitioners), and it has its drawbacks. In my most recent Torg games, I've also borrowed heavily from the Savage Worlds setting Hellfrost, in which the world of Rassilon is in the grip of a supernatural Ice Age. I turned Uthorion into a lich and plunged Aysle into a hundred-year freeze. It gave just enough unique flavor to make Aysle less generic.

As for the Cyberpapacy, things look good here. I like the idea that this tech isn't new to them. I never played with that being the case, anyway. It was hard to tell from the preview how bleak this realm will be. When I run it, it's a pretty drab, hopeless place for most people who live a life of work in service to the Church. The only break in their purgatory-on-earth is that their labor buys them time in the GodNet, where they feel the ecstasy of being close to God, and can enjoy that rapture in a VR heaven. After their time is over, they're returned back to their miserable lives of servitude, and push through their work so they can enjoy the GodNet again tomorrow night. Hackers know how to access other parts of the GodNet, of course.

I also moved the Cyberpapacy to Brazil. I felt like Europe was unnecessarily crowded. The population there is significant, but the real reason so many realms are there is because of some of our cultural Eurocentric bias. Parts of Brazil, however, have a dense population, and is already deeply religious. Plus the wealth/poverty disparity is even more exaggerated. Plus that spreads the realms out a bit better, using an otherwise forgotten part of the planet (I haven't used the Akashans since pretty much that book came out).

Loving this so far!

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Casting on the fly was something I always wanted players to get to do, but they never did get into magic, and that particular set of rules seemed very cumbersome, so I'm looking forward to Improvising Magic to see how that works. If it's fast and magic is at least in the same ballpark of effectiveness as simply shooting people with a laser, my players and I will probably love it.

I like that the maelstrom bridges from Aysle will be tunnels coming up rather than the stonework literal bridges. Suites my D&D roots and gives me some rationale to do "dungeon crawls" that lead to some very interesting places.

I like that there was no tech surge and I assume Magna Veritas is high tech now and has been for some time. It always struck me as interesting for the fiction in the novels, but just confusing for the game's campaign having MV low tech (despite having the axioms to support higher tech) and the Cyberpope new to technology.

In original Torg it was three months, from April to June in some year in the 90's, from the time Indonesia went dark to the campaign setting and the adventure to destroy the Gaunt Man's Infernal machine. The maps at that time didn't have Spain, Scandinavia, or a mixed zone between Aysle and the Cyberpapacy yet. So we can deduce from this that the war has been going on for longer than three months at the time of the campaign setting, or perhaps the invaders are just more successful and have just gotten further in that initial three month time frame. Or maybe these aren't the only maps, and just show progression at a certain time? That last would be ideal, but probably not the best use of resources. Of these theories, I like that the invaders are just more successful and only a few months have passed, Core Earthers are still in shock at all the changes, and there is a veritable playground of transformed areas to play in.

And yes, the snowy region is intriguing. My guess is that since the Tharkold invasion was challenged but still succeeded, that they had to put in place something other than stelae to continue to invade, something like the Akashan reality trees but far more insidious. Please try to add more mysterious things to the maps for us to go crazy over in the next months!

James Garr
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”