Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

carldot34

Re: Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

Postby carldot34 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:51 am

I'm thinking of having all my players in one location (museum, office building, etc.) on D+0 in Britain and have that collapse into an underground Aysle labyrinth. They start off with no/little equipment and have to escape from a fantasy dungeon with traps and monsters back into the surface world, only to find that that has changed too. Some characters might start off as transformed, some not and some might be actual Aylish adventurers who are already in the dungeon and who they can meet up with. Just an idea in the drafting stage at the moment.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am

I love the imagery that the Aysle invasion bubbling up from below is conjuring in my minds eye.
Firstly the idea of a Moria-esque giant entrance into the caverns below. Paved with marble, great columns abutting each side of a herculean rift into the darkness beneath the earth. From which marches an army of patchwork armour clad denizens of the dark realm.

Throughout the realm, as the axiom wash drowns out the modern, mighty collonades, parapets and towers burst out from the ground, consuming terrace after terrace of housing and leaving medieval hovels in their wake. Ancient city boundaries grow upwards, redefining the wards of old.

It's likely I'll start my new campaign in Aysle and the players will experience the invasion first hand before segueing into a "few weeks later" situation.

ZeDiac

Postby ZeDiac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 am

Plageman wrote:What I'd hope to see for Torg Eternity is a PDF/POD product on how to handle this type of aventures with PC type suggestion and detailed early invasion evnets.

It would also make me very happy !
"Storm is coming"

ryric

Postby ryric » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 am

In my experience, "day 1" campaigns are fairly popular so I too would like to see support for that playstyle. Although, it's really not tough to extrapolate form the material. To be perfectly honest, the Orrorsh invasion was subtle and unusual enough that for most people "day 1" means the Living Land invasion. I've run/been in a couple campaigns that started with "ho hum, daily life in the US," and suddenly dinosaurs. It's actually a decent way to introduce the setting to brand new players.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 pm

While Day-0 stories can be pretty fun, these are probably best done on an individual basis.

In my experience, players tend to want to play vastly different characters from all over the place. Some of the characters I remember in my years of running and playing: an edeinos, a Gaian woman seeking to cure her husband's curse, a Cyberpapal punk, a ninja from Marketplace, a were-eagle, and an elven dragon rider (minus her dragon). These characters wouldn't work for a Day-0 story very well. Some are Core Earth transformed while others were part of the invading cosm. When the French punk transforms, he's not going to meet the ninja or the dragon rider. When the ninja comes across the maelstrom bridge in Japan, he's not going to encounter the edeinos or the were-eagle.

Typically, these groups come together after the fan's been hit and strive to drive back the evil. By the time they meet, the realms have been established, and there are tons of refugees, rationing, and blockades.

Honestly, I don't see this kind of thing seeing a lot of use in most Torg games. Most GMs will want to get the players together and have them start running realms and thwarting plots. Day-0 materials would be neat, but I can't see it being worthwhile in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps as a Kickstarter stretch goal?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:36 pm

All that is true. It was originally suggested as an optional PDF and I think it would work well that way. A KS add-on is a good idea.

ZeDiac

Postby ZeDiac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

carldot34 wrote: A KS add-on is a good idea.

I agree !
"Storm is coming"

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:46 pm

ZeDiac wrote:
Gargoyle wrote: Please try to add more mysterious things to the maps for us to go crazy over in the next months!

This guy is a masochistic... don't listen to him we want answers... no brain destroying enigmas, please ! ;)

I have a theory that all Torg GM's are masochists. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
I have a theory that all Torg GM's are masochists. :)

Just the good ones... 8-)
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

ZeDiac

Postby ZeDiac » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:I have a theory that all Torg GM's are masochists. :)

Just the good ones... 8-)

:mrgreen:
"Storm is coming"

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”