Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am

So just checking on the hardpoints and bridges, looks like:

Confirmed Hardpoints:
Winter Palace in St Petersburg
London
Paris
Beaches of Normandy

Not confirmed:
Alhambra in Spain? My best guess based on the location of the icon.

Also, I assume the city-wide hardpoints either have a strong talisman-like center (like the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, and the Eiffel Tower in Paris) or there are lots of places/items like in Washington DC, but either way, the effect is sort of a city wide hardpoint that is not easily destroyed. Is there a specific focal point for the hardpoint in London, and is it still the Eiffel tower in Paris?

For bridges:

And in Aysle, these are underbridges, (I can't express how much I love that btw), so I'm guessing there is more than one entrance both in London and Oslo, perhaps with many secret ways. Nice that it's down to two bridges instead of seven, and I'm wondering if one is controlled by Uthorion (Oslo) and one by Lady Ardinay (London)? If it's not multiple openings though, can you tell us where the entrance is specifically, or if there is a main entrance?

Avignon - In original Torg, the bridge on the Earth side was in the dungeons (I always assumed underneath the Cathedral), so ironically, like today's Aysle bridges, it was sort of an underbridge, though not really as it was just a simple underground entrance to better control access, rather than many underground places that merge with Asyle. Curious if this bridge is still in the dungeons, or if the Cyberpope is going for a bridge of light from the sky like on the Magna Verita side, and where it might be?

Understand if you can't provide too much detail, thanks for what you can answer, my map is coming along nicely.

Edit: Oh, and I'm curious about the placement of the London hardpoint and bridge, seems like the bridge wouldn't work within the London hardpoint, so perhaps they aren't in the same parts of town, or the hardpoint is centered somewhere away from the bridge?

James Garr
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #5 - Aysle and the Cyberpapacy

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Gargoyle wrote:So just checking on the hardpoints and bridges, looks like:

Confirmed Hardpoints:
Winter Palace in St Petersburg
London
Paris
Beaches of Normandy

Not confirmed:
Alhambra in Spain? My best guess based on the location of the icon.

Correct.

Also, I assume the city-wide hardpoints either have a strong talisman-like center (like the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, and the Eiffel Tower in Paris) or there are lots of places/items like in Washington DC, but either way, the effect is sort of a city wide hardpoint that is not easily destroyed. Is there a specific focal point for the hardpoint in London, and is it still the Eiffel tower in Paris?

First question, both. But the key is that hardpoint radii aren't entirely dependent on the mass of the object but the 'belief' as well.

The London hardpoint doesn't have a specified hardpoint at this time, but the Paris one is the Eiffel tower.

For bridges:

And in Aysle, these are underbridges, (I can't express how much I love that btw), so I'm guessing there is more than one entrance both in London and Oslo, perhaps with many secret ways. Nice that it's down to two bridges instead of seven, and I'm wondering if one is controlled by Uthorion (Oslo) and one by Lady Ardinay (London)? If it's not multiple openings though, can you tell us where the entrance is specifically, or if there is a main entrance?

There is no bridge in London. It's in the countryside near Warrington. Ardinay doesn't have any control over anything. Uthorion has Drakakanus. The exact details of the connection to the surface isn't detailed.

Avignon - In original Torg, the bridge on the Earth side was in the dungeons (I always assumed underneath the Cathedral), so ironically, like today's Aysle bridges, it was sort of an underbridge, though not really as it was just a simple underground entrance to better control access, rather than many underground places that merge with Asyle. Curious if this bridge is still in the dungeons, or if the Cyberpope is going for a bridge of light from the sky like on the Magna Verita side, and where it might be?

Understand if you can't provide too much detail, thanks for what you can answer, my map is coming along nicely.

Undetermined. A lot of the stuff especially in the core book isn't described in a ton of detail, but even in the cosm books we might not specify such things. My suggestion would be if it hasn't been contradicted (heh), then it's probably okay to assume the Original Torg is still correct until such point that it is contradicted.

Especially if it doesn't mean a lot to the overall lore.

An example that comes to mind is that we probably won't detail the dwarven creation myth from the original Aysle book. But it probably doesn't affect much at all, so using that material from Original Torg is just fine.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you, not sure why I had the bridge in London, force of habit I suppose, saw "Liverpool" near it and read "London".

Interesting stuff, thanks for the clarifications.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ryric

Postby ryric » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:26 am

There are certainly a lot of good hardpoint candidates in London - the Parliament building, the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, the Eye, just to name a few.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am

ryric wrote:There are certainly a lot of good hardpoint candidates in London - the Parliament building, the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, the Eye, just to name a few.

Thinking about this, I think I prefer that the focal point of a city that is a hardpoint might be best left undefined, or just assume that many different sites like in Washington DC are hardpoints. I know we have the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, but focusing it on a single item like that sort of just makes it easy to nullify the hardpoint, and I'd rather make them tough to destroy. I can imagine many other locations in both those cities too and I'd like to think that uprooting the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia or tearing down the Eiffel tower wouldn't destroy the hardpoint by itself. Now if something is defined as just the center of the hardpoint, that sort of agrees with me, perhaps it is the most powerful of many hardpoints in the city. Not sure that there is an official take on it, perhaps something best left to the GM's interpretation. Original Torg was somewhat vague and that worked just fine.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Dan Davenport

Postby Dan Davenport » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 pm

I dislike a setting bending to fit the rules, and the treatment of Giants and Elves as immigrants from another world in oTorg to account for their racial stat boosts is an example of that. Since the Possibility cost is gone now, will Giants and Elves still be alien to Aysle?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Elves get higher limits but no bonus points for attributes.

Giants are not a playable race in the core book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Dan Davenport

Postby Dan Davenport » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:52 am

TorgHacker wrote:Elves get higher limits but no bonus points for attributes.

Hmm... That's the first change of which I'm not really a fan. Using that method, the typical Elf will be no different than the typical Human.

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:10 am

Dan Davenport wrote:Hmm... That's the first change of which I'm not really a fan. Using that method, the typical Elf will be no different than the typical Human.

Well we don't know yet what else the Elves might get. My guess would be that they have access to some extra or specific Perks.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 am

You could probably even mock up a workable giant with the increased strength and increased toughness perks and access to the original Aysle book/PDF, if a player really wants one.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”