Movie/TV/book references for the realms/cosms

Rabbitball

Movie/TV/book references for the realms/cosms

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 am

What about everyone else? If you had to sum up a realm/cosm for your players using TV/movie/book references, what would you use?

The one where we now have a reference that didn't exist at the time of Torg's creation is the Nile Empire. Brendan Fraser's Mummy movies seem to be based on the Nile Empire as opposed to a realm being based on a movie.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

ryric

Re: Movie/TV/book references for the realms/cosms

Postby ryric » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Aysle is pretty easy, just point at Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.
Cyberpapacy - it occurs to me that the bits of Escape from LA that don't take place in LA sum it up pretty well - totalitarian Christian theocracy with advanced tech.
I agree that the Mummy movies are pretty good at Nile Empire. Mystery Men, while too modern in a lot of ways, is a decent example of the superhero power level of the Nile.
For Orrorsh, I tend to go more with books like Frankenstein and the works of Poe. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has some use for conveying Orrorsh.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

ryric wrote:Aysle is pretty easy, just point at Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

More Lord of the Rings than Game of Thrones, plus a good dose of Once Upon a Time.

Cyberpapacy - it occurs to me that the bits of Escape from LA that don't take place in LA sum it up pretty well - totalitarian Christian theocracy with advanced tech.

The novel Christian Nation is a pretty scary example of what it'd be like IMO.

I agree that the Mummy movies are pretty good at Nile Empire. Mystery Men, while too modern in a lot of ways, is a decent example of the superhero power level of the Nile.

Yup. Some 'not so great movie' examples also would include Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and the Phantom. Dick Tracy too.

For Orrorsh, I tend to go more with books like Frankenstein and the works of Poe. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has some use for conveying Orrorsh.

League would be a good match I think for a Nile/Orrorsh mixed zone.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:39 am

Tharkold is tough but doable. The cosm is pretty much the future setting in the Terminator movies. The Tharkoldu are what you get when you take Predators and add the outlook/personalities of the Cenobites from Hellraisers. So, basically Termintor+Predator+Hellraiser. In Russia, at this point. So, how long will it be before Putin tries to nuke them? And is the American president in TORG: Eternity going to be Trump, because wow, that could be fun.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 am

I can say that there are no 'real world' characters in the game. I mean, there's a Pope, but he's not named.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:55 am

TorgHacker wrote:I can say that there are no 'real world' characters in the game. I mean, there's a Pope, but he's not named.

If the game setting is still the Near Now, there is no reason to have any current World Leader. Most of the time the Hollywood action movies have a "not the current" Important Person (i.e. the US President in ID4).

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 am

Not to mention that the game developers would be viewed as taking a stance if they use real-world politicians.

For example, I hold no esteem for President Trump, and I would roll my eyes if Trump were portrayed as doing anything actually competent. Conversely, a Trump supporter would be outraged if he were portrayed as a buffoon who botched handling the Living Lands threat.

If I recall, OTorg didn't even assign a political party to the President. If it did, I didn't really notice it. Keeping the political leaders party-neutral sounds like a worthy cause. The individual GMs can assign parties to the leaders as they see fit.

Besides, tying the game to real-world personalities would tie it to a time period. How weird would it be to try to run OTorg today with references to President Bush? The Kanawa computer catalogue is evidence enough that the books are out of date. We don't need to add current events to that.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 am

Muammar Gaddafi was mentioned in Original Torg...but yes, mentioning particular people will tend to date it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:02 am

Kuildeous wrote:The Kanawa computer catalogue is evidence enough that the books are out of date. We don't need to add current events to that.

I remember seeing references to Nintendo "newest" console. Also all "real world" references to computer performance for Pan Pacifica & Cybertech makes them obsolete very fast.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 am

TorgHacker wrote:Muammar Gaddafi was mentioned in Original Torg...but yes, mentioning particular people will tend to date it.

I forgot all about that. I remember now how relevant he was at the time.

Probably best if they didn't include Ghaddafi back then. He became irrelevant long before he died.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”