Movie/TV/book references for the realms/cosms

Gargoyle

Re: Movie/TV/book references for the realms/cosms

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am

carldot34 wrote:I always pictured it as the British Empire in India and took Rudyard Kipling as a good measure. Of course, I never got to play there as the Fear/Perseverance rules weren't popular with my players. I always thought they were fine and captured the feeling of working towards defeating a Horror, instead of just hitting it with the biggest weapons available. But I was only the DM; what do I know?

Same here, my players were terrified of the place. I had to throw horrors at them in other realms, but never really got to use the power of fear system as much as I wanted. Too many other things going on, wish I had used it more; I think it was clunky but it was an example of how to use game mechanics to achieve a certain narrative, that of a horror movie.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

JohnDavidWard1

Postby JohnDavidWard1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 pm

ryric wrote:I'd argue that while the word Victorian is used in reference to Orrorsh, the social attitudes and axiom of the realm are more along the lines of the colonial era. So while the tech level is late 1800s, society is more like the 1700s.

I don't disagree. I feel strongly that Orrorsh was meant to be played that way. That's how I played Orrorsh, myself, reducing the social axiom to 17-ish (colonial era) and the tech axiom to 18-ish (mid 1800s rather than late 1800s). I felt that was truer to the spirit of the cosm and genre.

The problem, of course, is that that's not actually canon. Because of the odd way Orrorsh was written, we Torg-players had to choose between taking Orrorsh literally and taking it seriously. I just tried to find references for the official version of Orrorsh, not my own version.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

JohnDavidWard1 wrote:
ryric wrote:I'd argue that while the word Victorian is used in reference to Orrorsh, the social attitudes and axiom of the realm are more along the lines of the colonial era. So while the tech level is late 1800s, society is more like the 1700s.

I don't disagree. I feel strongly that Orrorsh was meant to be played that way. That's how I played Orrorsh, myself, reducing the social axiom to 17-ish (colonial era) and the tech axiom to 18-ish (mid 1800s rather than late 1800s). I felt that was truer to the spirit of the cosm and genre.

The problem, of course, is that that's not actually canon. Because of the odd way Orrorsh was written, we Torg-players had to choose between taking Orrorsh literally and taking it seriously. I just tried to find references for the official version of Orrorsh, not my own version.

What do you mean by "taking it literally or seriously"?

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:55 pm

JohnDavidWard1 wrote:

I never really saw a conflict with the Social and Tech axioms because the World Laws enforced the atmosphere. I always played and ran Orrorsh as "It's 188- and Jack the Ripper is fucking everywhere."

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 pm

JohnDavidWard1 wrote:

By the Orrorsh book, Victorian does not mean our Earth's Queen Victoria, but Gaea's Queen Victoria who defended Britain against the Romans in 43 AD and lived until 72 AD. The dates show that when TORG was published, Gaea was around the early 1990s (same as Core Earth). So our Earth's "Victorian Period" may inspire parts of Orrorsh/Gaea, it wasn't a set-in-stone thing.

I also used Jack The Ripper, as well as H.H. Holmes as inspiration for 'evil people. The fiction books "The Alienist"' and "The Angel of Darkness" by Caleb Carr and Call of Cthulhu 1890s are good. Forensic Science is in its infancy and there is still a lot unexplored in the world.

edit to add: The movie Zulu Dawn (1979) could be "inspirational" for Gaean Victorian uniforms/weapons/tactics/arrogant attitudes. Takes place in 1879
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:31 am

I just got back from seeing the new Kong: Skull Island movie, and recommend it, not only as a fun movie in its own right, but as good Living Land inspirational material. There are lots of dangerous monsters around, including a giant spider that impales its prey with long legs, a massive squid, flocks of carnivorous pteranadon-like birds, and things that are much worse. The jungle feels immense and perilous. The main characters are lost, losing their minds, and focused on trying to escape. Throw in some edeinos and it would be perfect.

Actually, the original Torg had its own giant ape down in the Land Below -- Ungrosh. For people playing oTorg, Kong: Skull Island would be even more appropriate for the Land Below. It even references the Hollow Earth!

Anyway, well worth seeing and adding to the list of movies from which to draw inspiration. Be sure to stay past the credits!

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:34 am

And then there's this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... lice-force

... We all know how this ends.

JohnDavidWard1

Postby JohnDavidWard1 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:What do you mean by "taking it literally or seriously"?

Partly I just meant that I felt we had to choose between being true to the letter and true to the spirit of Orrorsh, but I was also saying that Orrorsh, taken literally, especially in the Orrorsh book, is, in my opinion, kind of goofy. Hence, not serious.

johntfs wrote:I never really saw a conflict with the Social and Tech axioms because the World Laws enforced the atmosphere. I always played and ran Orrorsh as "It's 188- and Jack the Ripper is fucking everywhere."

I might have been overstating it, but that's only because I changed my version of it early on, and I really liked and got used to those changes.

ZorValachan wrote:By the Orrorsh book, Victorian does not mean our Earth's Queen Victoria, but Gaea's Queen Victoria who defended Britain against the Romans in 43 AD and lived until 72 AD. The dates show that when TORG was published, Gaea was around the early 1990s (same as Core Earth). So our Earth's "Victorian Period" may inspire parts of Orrorsh/Gaea, it wasn't a set-in-stone thing.

Yeah, I get that, but just by calling the society Victorian, the material invites that comparison. I think they (the game makers) decided Orrorsh would be Victorian first, and then tried to figure out what that meant later.

ZorValachan wrote:edit to add: The movie Zulu Dawn (1979) could be "inspirational" for Gaean Victorian uniforms/weapons/tactics/arrogant attitudes. Takes place in 1879

I've never seen that one; I'll have to check it out when I have time (which is probably never, unfortunately).

Red_Ninja

Postby Red_Ninja » Tue May 23, 2017 11:21 pm

These three works remind me of Torg in general:

GATE (Light Novel Series 2010, Anime 2015) - A fantasy Roman Empire-like army from another dimension opens a magical gate and invades Tokyo. The Japanese Self-Defense force defeats the invasion and in turn sends an occupying force into the other dimension.

Somewhither - John C. Wright (Novel, 2015) - A reality where the Tower of Babel never fell and astrology is an applied science threatens to invade Earth. The novel has a very Torg-like feel as the astrologers have invaded multiple previous dimensions and incorporated elements of the conquered in their empire, the heroes opposing them are a group of individuals from different dimensions with strange abilities, and there is similar use of varying axiom levels of magic and technology.

Time Storm - Gordon R. Dickson (Novel, 1977) - A man, a woman, and their leopard companion try to survive on a post-apocalyptic Earth covered with shifting storm zones that leave behind different patches of time.
I am not afraid of the storm that comes my way.
When it hits, it shakes me to the core
and makes me stronger than before.
-- "Courtesy Call", Thousand Foot Krutch

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 am

Not seen any of those mentioned before. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”