Registration Changed to Admin Approval

Denshi

Re: Registration Changed to Admin Approval

Postby Denshi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:10 pm

I think you can set up phpbb so that a new user's first n posts have to be manually approved. (maybe "New member post limit"?)
That might be a solution.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:28 pm

That actually sounds quite good (as in blocking spam) but on the other hand potentially a fair bit of work for the moderators.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:07 pm

If you can set it up so that only the first post has to be manually approved, that should be about the same amount of work as approving each new user.

I think that would be better than having to approve each user. For a small but growing community, I think it's important to have as few barriers as possible during the registration process. A manual approval on registration will mean some users leave and never return.
Once you have actually written a post and wait for its approval, your level of engagement is already higher and users are more likely to accept the wait until approval.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

I have not been able to find the phpBB settings that allow me manage by post rather than by registration. If anyone else happens to be an admin and know where these things usually are, please let me know.

In the meantime, I've watched about 4 or 5 new requests come in over the last day, and there's definitely a certain...geographic similarity to them, shall we say? For the time being, I am putting 2-3 countries on watch. I'm unlikely to approve you if your ISP is in certain countries.

You can probably guess which ones.

-Eric

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:54 am

In the permissions tab under "Forum permissions", you can select the "Newly registered users" group and click the "edit Permissions" button.
Then you can either choose a role like "Newly Registered User Access" or Advanced Permissions:
In the Advanced Permissions is an option "Can post without approval".

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:51 am

Ninjad by Denshi :D

@Eric
You can check this documentation here

Also you can setup that for instance that first 10 post by new members (you assigned them to group "Newly registered users"), you must approve. Check here
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks! I had apparently breezed right past those particular settings in my searches.

I may try switching it over during the Kickstarter with the hope that we'll get some real registrations, but the last two days have definitely clarified for me where the spam is coming from. I let one account through as a test case, and then banned it as soon as it posted a spam topic. The rest are all from the same two or three (closely-related) countries.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:07 am

Whatever you have done certainly seems to have done the trick (for now).
So two thumbs up.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:07 pm

So I don't want to give away too much. But it's probably safe to assume that the spammers don't actually READ this thread, because otherwise they would have realized that things aren't working for them anymore.

I will say that certain email domains and WHOIS results are very very obvious. This does mean that there may at some point be someone from one of those countries who actually IS a fan, but I trust that such a person would send me a message through one of our many social media channels and I can go ahead and approve them.

For now, I'm not actually deleting any of these requests, just letting them languish in Inactive purgatory.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 pm

To newly registering users:

Please do not set up your login ID as one word that is a name followed by a three-letter tag without a space (like BeckyJes and JamesSub). We have many spammers using this format to try to register, so any legitimate users following it are likely to be ignored.

Also, whatever spammer ends every single username with "...infubsids," you can just stop trying now. Direct your bots elsewhere.

-Admin

Return to “Forum Policies and Announcements”