Cyberpapacy Day One result (spoilers)

Kuildeous

Cyberpapacy Day One result (spoilers)

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 pm

So I ran Cyberpapacy Day One. Pretty much what you'd expect. They managed to get the train going and rescue the prisoners. The Host was giving them all sorts of grief, but they figured out how to team up and do enough damage to it by round 7.

My five players dealt with the riot, the cybergoyle, and the Church Police as they escaped Orange. As the Host gave chase, the witch tried to cast a spell. She rolled a mishap, and that one card was indeed in play. I decided that the demon would manifest by erupting out of the NPC engineer's body in a dramatic and messy way. It targeted the priest in the cab of the engine. Meanwhile, two people were going toe to toe with the Host on top of the train.

The priest maneuvered himself in the cab so that the demon was between him and the door. He used the Repel miracle to launch the demon out the door. To my surprise, demons don't fly, so that's a great way of stopping that fight. The demon hurled a final lightning bolt at the priest as he climbed up on top of the train. It did 3 wounds to the priest which would have put him into Death and Dying. The priest played a Martyr card to have him anticipate the attack and leap on the Host so they both take the damage. This forced the Host to spend some Possibilities to negate that damage.

Since the player was without a character, I told him he could play the leftover character as a prisoner from the prison car. Well, who was the missing character but the train operator. He came to the front to exclaim, "Who's driving this thing?" Then he grabbed a wrench to wrestle with the Host. We all had a good laugh about how the Storm Knight engineer kept protesting that he can drive the train but kept getting shoved back into the prison car.

The players mused in retrospect that they should have known there would be a train because when a batch of pregens includes a train engineer, that's like Chekhov's Gun.

Good times. Lost one character to a martyr. Had some serious wounds going. Having the demon appear during the Host fight was really nasty.

Ayaron

Re: Cyberpapacy Day One result (spoilers)

Postby Ayaron » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 am

Excellent recount.

One thought occurs:

"The priest played a Martyr card to have him anticipate the attack and leap on the Host so they both take the damage. This forced the Host to spend some Possibilities to negate that damage."

If a player uses Martyr like that it should take out the host completely. Having it just soak the damage makes for a rather undramatic character death. As I read it Martyr let's the player take out a major opponent or solve a major problem automatically.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am

It's something I would have ordinarily done, but we had just started our second session of the Cyberpapacy Day One, so I wasn't going to end it so quickly in the night. During an actual campaign, it would have packed more punch since I could move on to the next act of the story.

On top of that, he wasn't sacrificing a healthy character. He took his fourth wound and figured that if he was going to be knocked out of the fight, he would do something. His action weakened the Host so that it would be taken out sooner (the players of course didn't know that it gives up the chase). Again, in a campaign where the fourth wound might only be a nap in the middle of an arching story, the Martyr card would have been a greater sacrifice.

But I do agree with you within the normal context of a campaign.

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 am

Ayaron wrote:If a player uses Martyr like that it should take out the host completely. Having it just soak the damage makes for a rather undramatic character death. As I read it Martyr let's the player take out a major opponent or solve a major problem automatically.

Seeing as it's the last scene of a one-shot scenario with throwaway characters, I like the way they handled it.

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”