Most fun in-character moment in TorgE so far

mystic101

Most fun in-character moment in TorgE so far

Postby mystic101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 am

I wanted to share a story of my current character’s most fun experience to date. My group has been playing the Ameliorer Virus adventure, which is available on the Infiniverse exchange. I highly recommend it, because it’s been a lot of fun to go through. Anyone who’s gotten it may realize more of the context of the scene I’m about to describe, but to avoid spoilers for anyone who doesn’t have it yet, I’ll be very vague.

Our group has four players. My character is Renaud Duchamp, a Nile hero with a knight motif, who’s taken sacred vows of poverty, chastity, and humility. Think a paladin-type character. The other three are a smart guy, a ninja-girl werewolf, and a cyborg warrior from Tharkold.

For most of the night, the smart guy and I were secondary characters. The ninja and the cyborg really shined, right up until the final scene of the night. That’s when smart guy and I had our chance.

We were going up against a tough cyber-knight and her four armored minions. The first round, the drama card was Villains first, Heroes Up, and an ABCD showing on the skill resolutions line. That’s good, because there was a mission-critical dramatic skill resolution that smart guy would be attempting while the rest of us covered him. Great card for us, and a great way to start . . . until things went a little sideways.

The cyber-knight and one of the goons both fired at smart guy, who is only Toughness 5 and has no combat skills whatsoever. A wet noodle swung the wrong way would injure him . . . and these villains weren’t using noodles! I Bodyguarded one of the hits onto myself, but another landed for 4 Wounds, 8 Shock! Smart guy spent two possibilities and some cards, and got a soak roll of 20, barely enough to take no damage. He ducked just in time, and then tried to do steps A, B, & C all at once. And failed. Oh no!

I tried to maneuver the cyber-knight and also clobber one of the goons at the same time, and I, too, failed miserably. Double oh no! I did get to put a card down for it, though, and I chose . . . the Romance card.

The cyber-knight started to sneer as Renaud fumbled, his misstep causing him to stumble forward, right up in her face. But the sneer faded when their eyes met. They stared at each other for a single, timeless moment, and . . .

. . . It was love at first sight. :)

The ninja jumped in at that point, landing a big hit on the cyber-knight, who just soaked it all away, no injury. Meanwhile, our cyborg warrior's player decided to do some impromptu roleplaying, too. The cyborg decided that the cyber-knight was a lot like herself, and since she had deep feelings of self-loathing after getting experimented on by the Tharkoldu, it left her feeling an overwhelming, homicidal rage toward the cyber-knight. She spent her action turning in two Cosm cards & psychically pumping herself up into a maximally-Energized, Cyber-Psychotic, extra-BD death machine. She was about to bring the pain on my newfound love, in a big way.

The cyborg’s player used Seize Initiative before the card flip, so we got a second chance at that sweet, sweet V first/H Up/ABCD card. Which meant the villains made their attacks first again. Not even bothering to look away from me, the cyber-knight fired off a round at smart guy. I exclaim “No, my lov--!” and Bodyguarded the hit onto myself, but a goon also took a shot at him, hitting for 3 Wounds, 6 Shock. Smart guy spent his last two possibilities and thankfully got another 20. No damage again. Whew! Then he attempted the ABC once more, and made it this time. Hurray!

Screaming in fury, our cyborg landed a huge, monster hit on the cyber-knight, who just soaked it all away. Our ninja landed a big hit too, and the cyber-knight soaked that one off as well . . . but after that, well, now she was all out of possibilities.

I was the last one to act, and I was feeling the pressure. The other pcs were ignoring the goons. If I didn’t take them all out myself, well, smart guy had no more possibilities to soak with, and was going to get splattered. But how could I take out all four at once? The storyteller said I could only reach the cyber-knight and any two of the goons, not all of them. And even if I did, I had another problem. Renaud only uses non-lethal damage against living opponents. I knew that if I could knock the cyber-knight out, it would probably save her from my friends’ wrath. But if I saved smart guy instead, I’d be abandoning her. My newfound love would be the one to die instead, falling to my teammates’ lethal attacks!

I knew this was it. My Critical Moment. I went all-in, with every eligible card I could lay down, and made my rolls. With luck, and help from the cards, I Gloried the roll. Two of the goons go down . . . but it wasn’t enough to knock out the cyber-knight! She’s still up, still in mortal danger!

Ah, but the last card I’d had in my pool outside of the ones laid down for the Critical Moment was a Flurry, which I turned in before the Critical Moment could sweep it away. A second chance! With a desperate, second burst of attacks, Renaud knocked out the final two goons, and managed to render his true love (mercifully) unconscious.

Even that wasn’t the end of it, though. As smart guy worked on the final step of the Dramatic Skill Resolution, the cyborg (after some random die rolls to determine her course of action) went after the only other “enemy” left standing . . . a lowly security guard that smart guy had Mind Controlled and kept under wraps, off to one side. The cyborg attacked, and as exhausted as Renaud was, he leapt to the man’s defense, Bodyguarding him until the cyborg’s fury was spent. No longer out of control, but still angry, the cyborg took one last, brutal kick at the downed cyber-knight, which Renaud also Bodyguarded. Then our cyborg stalked away.

Renaud, exhausted, and brought all the way down to his very last shock point, slumped to one knee. He thanked the Maker he’d saved everyone’s life, friend and foe alike. Especially that of his newfound love.

. . . Who he'd promptly be turning over to the authorities after this, warm fuzzy feelings or not. I'm sorry, my love. Honor and duty are harsh taskmasters, after all. But Renaud will visit you in prison, between missions! :)

So overall, the session was lots of fun. I’m looking forward to that cyber-knight escaping somehow and showing up again in a future story. Any villain that can motivate one pc into protecting her, while simultaneously provoking another pc into a murderous rage at the very sight of her, has some good story potential.

Final thoughts: I’m glad I took the Bodyguard perk. It kept smart guy alive, and even two of the bad guys as well. And I'm also glad I saved that Romance card for later. I knew we’d be facing the cyber-knight at some point, and I figured hey, she and Renaud have a lot in common. She's French. He's French. He’s a knight dedicated to his faith, she’s a knight dedicated to her faith. So what if they’re, uh, diametrically opposed faiths . . . fighting on opposite sides of a brutal war . . . and Renaud has a pesky vow of celibacy on top of all that. Oh, well.

No one said love was easy, right?

Spatula

Re: Most fun in-character moment in TorgE so far

Postby Spatula » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 am

Ha! Great story!

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Spatula wrote:Ha! Great story!

Thanks. Oh, and if anyone else would like to share their own “most fun” moment so far, feel free. It’s why I made the thread!

Arcesilaus

Postby Arcesilaus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm

mystic101 wrote:Ah, but the last card I’d had in my pool outside of the ones laid down for the Critical Moment was a Flurry, which I turned in before the Critical Moment could sweep it away. A second chance! With a desperate, second burst of attacks, Renaud knocked out the final two goons, and managed to render his true love (mercifully) unconscious.

This IS a fun story, but (just for the sake of thoroughness) I think you got the rules wrong here. According to the FAQ, you can't use a Flurry card in a Critical Moment, since the card doesn't directly affect your action.

FAQ wrote:Q: Can any card be played from the hand when playing for the Critical Moment?

A: No. The only cards played from the hand to the pool that direct affect a single character’s action can actually be used. That means that Destiny cards like Leadership, Seize Initiative, Master Plan, Flurry, Rally, Romance, etc. cannot be played as part of a Critical Moment, unless they were already in the player’s pool to begin with.

That said, I think I might have allowed my players to pull this off for the sake of the story, but technically it's a no-no according to RAW.
Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Arcesilaus wrote:
mystic101 wrote: . . . the last card I’d had in my pool outside of the ones laid down for the Critical Moment was a Flurry . . .

This IS a fun story, but (just for the sake of thoroughness) I think you got the rules wrong here. According to the FAQ, you can't use a Flurry card in a Critical Moment, since the card doesn't directly affect your action.

When I wrote this up, I was concerned that I wasn’t being clear enough about this part. The Flurry wasn’t one of the cards going from hand to pool, it was in the pool “naturally”, outside of a Critical Moment transfer of cards. I just used it up while I had the chance, before it got discarded along with everything else. I was really, really lucky to have had it available right then, independently of the CM.

I’m amazed at how often just the right card can seem to come up at just the right time. Maybe one of our players is a Storm Knight secretly spending possibilities on those card flips, and doesn’t even know it!

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 am

My one (so far) has to come from the end of my groups Day 1 Living Land adventure.

They had battled through the preceding Acts, defeating the Mososaurus, tricking the Gotaks and killing the Thunderlord (Poor Professor Moore, at least he got the most out of that Martyr card though the critics panned the tired trope of the Black Guy dies first) and were now at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel.

Clearing a path had been the easy part, persuading their ragbag group of refugees to follow them into the tunnel was proving harder, when they received a boost to this as the horde of Edeinos (Or Saurians as my players insisted on calling them) arrived bringing with them a T-rex.

Officer Reyes had been holding up the rear on her Triceratops mount (acquired at the hospital after her captured Lakten flew away) and with the final steps all but cleared just had to convince it to enter the tunnel and escape.

Naturally she proceeds to roll a 1 on her Beast Riding, that Triceratops isn’t going anywhere near the tunnel. End of the round, flip the next card “Uh, Oh!” a setback for the Heroes. The Triceratops is surrounded and the only chance is for Officer Reyes to abandon it and make a run for the tunnel.

But no. She is a mounted officer of the NYPD and she isn’t abandoning her mount. Calling on the others to blow the tunnel she throws caution (& possibilities) to the wind and charges through the horde directly at the T-rex. Careful use of Leadership & Supporter from the others and a Critical Moment by the player led to the playing of a Glory Card on the charge.

The last the group saw as the tunnel caved in was the T-rex crashing down atop the Edeinos Horde. New York might have fallen, but the survivors now know that the enemy is not invincible.

I kind of skipped the final part with Theeklik at that point. There was no way I was going to be able to top that scene as a climax.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Wise choice. :D
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mjb691

Postby mjb691 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:55 pm

For the LL Day One adventure, my players (many of whom live in NYC) were playing themselves and/or their significant others, adding an interesting twist to the proceedings. Anyway, by the time they got to the Threlick encounter at the end, they were pretty beat up, especially one of them who had transformed into a Lanala Optant. On the first turn of the combat, this player Played for the Critical Moment and played the Lost Treasure Cosm Card. The lost treasure? A hunk of Triceratops meat that they blew up with the tank earlier in Act 3. She then through the meat at the Edeinos foot soldiers, and then dumped everything into the Call Animals miracle. After an Outstanding result, I decided that two angry Triceratops appeared and, smelling the blood of their pack mate on the Edeinos group, charged in with a frenzy. That evened the odds quite a bit.

Later, another player also Played for the Critical Moment and shot Threlick with her pistol. After a 3 Wound result, I told the group that Threlick was going to soak. The player looked at me and said, "nope," and spent her last Possibility on Negation. She then gave a perfect action movie line to Threlick about NYC only being big enough for one queen b**ch, and Threlick went down with a head shot.

At the end, my group was basically like "oh, so this is why you love Torg!"

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Nice stories.

BTW, I do not believe you need to hold cosm cards in your hand. I could've been running my demos (and my home game) incorrectly, but I've ruled that cosm cards do not go in your hand. As such, they can be played at any time (as long as it makes sense for the card), so that critical moment you mentioned for the Lost Treasure would not be necessary. Just play it and get that hunk of meat. Awesome use of the card though.
Last edited by Kuildeous on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Nice stories.

BTW, I do not believe you need to hold cosm cards in your hand. I could've been running my demos (and my home game incorrectly), but I've ruled that cosm cards do not go in your hand. As such, they can be played at any time (as long as it makes sense for the card), so that critical moment you mentioned for the Lost Treasure would not be necessary. Just play it and get that hunk of meat. Awesome use of the card though.

Correct. Cosm cards are not Destiny cards. They can be played at any time.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”