Free RPG day game Reports

Gargoyle

Free RPG day game Reports

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Put 'em here. Spoilers obviously, so I'm using spoiler tags for all of it, other than to say I really enjoyed running Torg again for the first time in at least 20 years. Amazing fun.

► Show Spoiler
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

carldot34

Re: Free RPG day game Reports

Postby carldot34 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Patriot Games in Sheffield! We had a blast! After disconnecting in every scene, the wannabe athlete ended up wrestling in the street with the boss edeinos!
P. S. Despite the pronunciation videos, the lizard men became the "I dunno's". As in "what the hell are they? I dunno!"
IMG_20170617_223135.jpg
IMG_20170617_223135.jpg (174.21 KiB) Viewed 319 times

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

I ran two games at my local FLGS, Guardian Games in Portland, Oregon. Both were 2-hour time blocks. The first game I had three players and the second one I had one player attempt the scenario solo.

The adventure was a custom one I wrote where the heroes track some Nile shocktroopers though the Living Land to keep them from escaping with an Eternity Shard. Scene One is a fight in a ruined farmhouse, Scene Two is a chase through the jungle (the heroes on motorcycles pursuing a cargo truck), and Scene Three is a dramatic river crossing at the top of a raging waterfall with some edeinos joining in.

The first game went a bit long so the fight in Scene Three had to be truncated. The second game, since it was only one player, zoomed along and the chase was even more exciting. He played a "Dino Attack!" card during the chase, so a T-Rex came stomping in behind him to make a three-party race. The T-Rex was taken out when a Critical Problem card came up; the game trail emerged along the edge of a crumbling cliff and it failed its Dexterity and plunged to its demise. Fun!

Like usual, I blanked on getting a good picture but a friend snapped this pic of me adjudicating something during Scene One of the first game.

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:40 pm

I may need to follow up and post my pic or the one the store took for the Milwaukee event. Had a table of 8 players, 6.5 first timers to Torg. One has been kind of learning but still very new to things.

There were three glories, almost a fourth but combat ended, a martyr, dino attack, multiple romances, called shot from a new player went off successfully. One player was sitting on three cosm cards having attuned multiple times. And during the final scene, we had 4 realities involved via reality surge.

Dlw32

Postby Dlw32 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 am

I couldn't make Free RPG day, but a friend of mine did pick me up a copy of the Torg thing. I haven't read it yet, but how does it deal with the cards? Are there cards in there? If not how do you do initiative?

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Dlw32 wrote:I couldn't make Free RPG day, but a friend of mine did pick me up a copy of the Torg thing. I haven't read it yet, but how does it deal with the cards? Are there cards in there? If not how do you do initiative?

No cards. I don't recall any guidelines on initiative, but I just used oTorg cards instead and it worked great, just took out the subplots to simplify a little. But there is a post in the forums that Eric linked to earlier in this thread that recommends doubling the number of enemies if you use the oTorg cards, and that's about right. I didn't quite double them, but I added a few, and it was challenging enough for them...I could have made it tougher and they would have probably still succeeded.

I suppose without the cards you could just roll to see who goes first, heroes or villains, seems like it would be fine.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:42 pm

The adventure itself lists whether heroes or villains should go first by encounter when you don't have the cards. I was able to use cards so that didn't matter for me.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering
Invertebrate punster—spinelessly unable to resist making a pun. "So slug me!"

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 pm

IMG_20170619_190259.jpg
Store photo
IMG_20170619_190259.jpg (392.8 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Finally made this image small enough to attach, though now it may be much more difficult to notice that both the Dwarf and the Elf have Drama/Hero/Glory in their pools.

From browser.png
From the other side of the table.
From browser.png (395.14 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Last edited by dev/null on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffWalklin

Postby JeffWalklin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Hey dev/null! I couldn't help but notice that the players in your picture probably weren't alive when OTorg came out. A welcome surprise!

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

JeffWalklin wrote:Hey dev/null! I couldn't help but notice that the players in your picture probably weren't alive when OTorg came out. A welcome surprise!

I've had an interesting mix of players who liked oTorg back in the day, players who had heard of it but never played, and of course players who were really young (like negative age) when it came out. Being able to capture the imagination of young players is pretty nice.

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”