Help me flesh out an adventure idea

Nyarlathotep

Help me flesh out an adventure idea

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 pm

If any of my plaers are reading this, please evacuate now (or don't, not THAT big a deal)

Okay, so I have this idea for an adeventure where the Storm Knights have to go into The Nile Empire to discover the fate of a movie star who was shooting on location on day one of the invasion and hasn't been seen or heard of since, only to discover that she has become something of a local supervillain, has turned her charm and charisma to evil ends and has no intention of returning to the outside world or even of letting the Storm Knights report her fate to the world at large.

Thing I am wrestling with is this: Why would the Delphi Council care? Any suggestions every idea I have come up with has been kinda 'meh' or iffy.

Kamelion

Re: Help me flesh out an adventure idea

Postby Kamelion » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Have the mission come from someone else, not Delphi. Maybe the celebrity has a rich family, desperate publicity agent, furious movie studio, or worryingly obsessive fan who are willing to fund the Knights' exploits...
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:If any of my plaers are reading this, please evacuate now (or don't, not THAT big a deal)

Okay, so I have this idea for an adeventure where the Storm Knights have to go into The Nile Empire to discover the fate of a movie star who was shooting on location on day one of the invasion and hasn't been seen or heard of since, only to discover that she has become something of a local supervillain, has turned her charm and charisma to evil ends and has no intention of returning to the outside world or even of letting the Storm Knights report her fate to the world at large.

Thing I am wrestling with is this: Why would the Delphi Council care? Any suggestions every idea I have come up with has been kinda 'meh' or iffy.

They wouldn't. But maybe they'd care that:
- there are also reports of an eternity shard the villain has that they would like them to recover so he stops using it for evil purposes and so Dr. Mobius doesn't get a hold of it.
- Another group of Storm Knights disappeared in the area and we need you to investigate and possibly save them from this villain's deathtrap.
- He's guarding a key stela that needs to be uprooted.

Basically though, all of the above have one thing in common: The bad thing that this super villain is doing (you're going to need to figure this out anyway probably, what's he doing?) needs to be stopped. The mystery of what happened to the movie star can be something they stumble onto during this, but I agree, the DC isn't going to be curious enough to send a team in just to find out. Make the mystery a subplot or something that they need to solve to get the main mission accomplished.

Also not having it come from the DC is fine as said above, or maybe one of the Storm Knights has a personal connection to the movie star.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Gargoyle wrote:- Another group of Storm Knights disappeared in the area and we need you to investigate and possibly save them from this villain's deathtrap.

That would work beautifully with what I have in mind, since the gist of the adventure was going to be escaping from her clutches once they found her, because she had no intention of letting them leave with the secret of her identity. Maybe this other group found out and wasn't so lucky. And I could tie that all into whatever reason the original group was sent in for.

Thanks!

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Maybe it's been assumed that the movie star fell afoul of the mysterious villain (because the villain has some interest in movies, or some kind of movie theme), who the players are after for unrelated reasons. Rescuing the movie star, if she's there, might be presented as a possible and optional side quest. But surprise! She IS the villain!

Why would the Council care? Well, storytellers are important to fighting the high lords, right? A famous actor could be a valuable "get", especially if she has a worldwide audience.

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:59 pm

That's a pretty good idea too. A nice twist. And fits the Nile quite well

choices, choices

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Because the supervillian has captured a mad scientist whose device can enable her mind control, super-charisma to broadcast all across the world creating an army of fanatically loyal and mostly mindless drones who will enable her to take over the world!!!

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:25 am

This post has given me the idea to go a little further; rather than a single movie set, perhaps an entire movie studio is setting up shop in the Nile Empire. It would be like the Hollywood studios of the 30's, with big shot directors, classical era movie stars, a gangster influence, huge practical sets, and ridiculous fantasy and science fiction props from that era. It's of course part of a Nile villains plot, and often shoots on location in Core Earth as a cover for nefarious activity, typically espionage of some sort. Envisioning this for after Year one, just seems more feasible.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

JeffWalklin

Postby JeffWalklin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:52 am

First of all, I'm stealing this idea. All of it!

Second, I think #Gargoyle is on to something with the whole idea of a movie shoot as the setting. Lots of NPCs to mess interact with.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:09 pm

<looks at the Nile Empire manuscript>

I think there's something in here you'll like. :mrgreen:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”