JohnK's Friday Night Torg Eternity Campaign

JohnK

Re: JohnK's Friday Night Torg Eternity Campaign

Postby JohnK » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Hullo, folks,

Managed to get this written up in a timely manner, so here is the session notes link for last night's (Friday) game session of Torg Eternity set in their Living Land campaign.

Friday Night Torg Eternity Game, Session 7

Enjoy! :)

Any thoughts and comments are also welcome. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks for writing your game sessions up, John. I appreciate reading them! And I know it takes a good bit of effort to write all of that out, or at least it does for me! I'm amazed you have time to run 3 different games and write them all up for us.

Was the encounter with the dinos that killed most of the NPCs (even the boy scouts!) meant to be that deadly, or was it just bad luck on the players' part? Or did they make some mistake? I have the Road to Philly adventure but haven't read it yet.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Hullo, Spatula,

Spatula wrote:Thanks for writing your game sessions up, John. I appreciate reading them! And I know it takes a good bit of effort to write all of that out, or at least it does for me! I'm amazed you have time to run 3 different games and write them all up for us.

Thanks, mate! Really appreciate the fact that you're reading them and actually commenting from time to time here. Makes it all the more worthwhile. :) So *thank you*! :)

Truth be told, I started blogging up my gaming sessions to my personal blogs when I first started my LJ, since the entries serve as a good record of my campaigns and notes for them. When it comes to the writing of the material, I take shorthand notes during the game and then transcribe the detail out Most of the material in square brackets is GM info, so some of that material doesn't make it into the blog entries, since I know my players use these files as their notes or a means of fleshing out their notes with relevant stuff.

Spatula wrote:Was the encounter with the dinos that killed most of the NPCs (even the boy scouts!) meant to be that deadly, or was it just bad luck on the players' part? Or did they make some mistake? I have the Road to Philly adventure but haven't read it yet.

To be honest, I don't know if the encounter with the dinos is meant to be that deadly, though I guess one would have to ask David (the author) about it. That said, the dinos in question are fleet of foot, they've got decent Toughness, and some of the players were having just bad luck on some of their rolls. The interesting part about it was the fact that they didn't have a lot of combat-oriented Destiny cards going into the fight, though managed to draw a few of those as the fight went on. The fellow playing Lucas told me afterwards that they made some tactical mistakes in the fight as well, but didn't elaborate on that. "Road to Philadelphia" is a really interesting scenario in a lot of ways. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Yeah, that's mostly how I treat my game blog as well - as a campaign record I mean. Only I ask the players not to read it because I put DM-only stuff in them. But it's been handy to be able to go back and call up old sessions to see what happened, at times. Especially since our current game has been going for close to 5 (!!!) years now. When it's all done they can read through it if they want, but it'll be so long by that point I don't know if they'll want to! (I myself do go back and read the early adventures sometimes because they always give me a good chuckle)

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Hullo, Spatula,

Spatula wrote:Yeah, that's mostly how I treat my game blog as well - as a campaign record I mean. Only I ask the players not to read it because I put DM-only stuff in them. But it's been handy to be able to go back and call up old sessions to see what happened, at times.

Well, I keep a separate file of my own (usually in OpenOffice these days) that has square brackets for all the GM-only material that I censor from the blog versions of the session notes. (Had a couple of long ones of these in the past session's game notes, to be honest.) Like you said, though, the blog records are nice to have.

Spatula wrote:Especially since our current game has been going for close to 5 (!!!) years now.

So you started the game with old TORG, right?

Given some of the differences between the two game systems, not to mention the alterations to the world setting, I don't think I would have continued on from where the old campaign had left off with Torg Eternity. Fortunately, I wasn't in a position to do so.

Spatula wrote:When it's all done they can read through it if they want, but it'll be so long by that point I don't know if they'll want to! (I myself do go back and read the early adventures sometimes because they always give me a good chuckle)
[/quote]

I don't have the blog notes for my older campaigns, since I stopped running original TORG in 1996 or so. I do have the game files on a flash drive, though, and have gone through the notes from time to time. I want to re-create the Easter Island scenario that I ran back then, as well as a peace conference on the Caribbean Princess, and have an idea about converting two of my early HOLLOW EARTH EXPEDITION scenarios to the game as well. "Creature From the Black Lagoon", a la Torg Eternity! :)
=====

JohnK

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm

JohnK wrote:So you started the game with old TORG, right?

Oh, currently my group has been playing through the Pathfinder Kingmaker adventure path, with breaks for other games from time to time so that I don't go insane. Our last break was the Tharkold Day One scenario, and for the next I've been working on a Torg Eternity adventure that I want to playtest. We'll finish the adventure path someday... (about to start adventure #5 of 6) In the last session they were trying to pull together plot threads that had been accumulating for 4 1/2 years, and I was able to look up old blog posts to remind them of what happened in the distant past.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Hullo, Spatula,

Spatula wrote:
JohnK wrote:So you started the game with old TORG, right?

Oh, currently my group has been playing through the Pathfinder Kingmaker adventure path, with breaks for other games from time to time so that I don't go insane.

Oh, I went insane gaming years ago. Still am. :)

I don't get to play very often (usually during my birth month every year, but not this year due to changes in my groups and all). I find that I don't get the time to take the breaks from systems that I'd like to, but that's more at the insistence of several players who want to "play the game for five or six months straight". That's fine, but I find that I don't have the creativity to run games for that long any more, especially with the lack of pre-generated scenarios that some of the games have. And in Torg Eternity several of the players told me they want to stay in the starting Realm "for awhile". *sigh*

Spatula wrote:Our last break was the Tharkold Day One scenario, and for the next I've been working on a Torg Eternity adventure that I want to playtest.

Ooh, sounds good! For publication on the Infiniverse Exchange?
=====

JohnK

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 pm

JohnK wrote:Ooh, sounds good! For publication on the Infiniverse Exchange?

Well, that was my initial idea. But I have no graphic design skills and I dunno how to make maps. And I'd rather not sink tons of money into it getting real art. So maybe, maybe not.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Hullo, Spatula,

Spatula wrote:
JohnK wrote:Ooh, sounds good! For publication on the Infiniverse Exchange?

Well, that was my initial idea. But I have no graphic design skills and I dunno how to make maps. And I'd rather not sink tons of money into it getting real art. So maybe, maybe not.

To be honest, regardless of whether folks publish stuff only on the Infiniverse Exchange or not, as long as people are willing to share their adventures or whatever with others (regardless of how), I'm...content. :)
=====

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Hullo, folks,

Here are the game session notes for last night's Friday night session of Torg Eternity. The players wrapped up their second adventure for the game, and had a great time of it.

Friday Night Torg Eternity Game, Session 8

As usual, thoughts and comments are always welcome. :)
=====

JohnK

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”