Getting a virtual table top to work with TorgE

TiaMaster

Re: Getting a virtual table top to work with TorgE

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

Okay, so this will roll the exploding (10s and 20s) and spit out the bonus number in chat. Just edit the roll to make an unskilled macro. You can also use roll templates to make it fancy, but I just wanted something working.

Bonus Number: [[ -10 + {2,2,3,3,5,5,7,7,9,11,13,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56,61,66,71,76}<[[1d20!10!!20]] ]]

Note: Of course 3d Dice has to be on.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Yeah, but players love it. I think I will use both the macros - the Dice and the PowerCards. PLayers can use either one, but they will most likely want to see dice, and then I can use the PwerCards macros as GMRolls.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Guys, rolling the dice and calculating bonus numbers is great and all.. But what happens when I spend a possibility, then play a hero card, then play a drama card, then take into account my up result.
You're just going to end up with 5 separate dice totals that you'll need to add up and work out the bonus number for.

This is the main reason I am not going to bother automating the bonus number calculation for Fantasy Grounds... well until I can get a little on screen app where you just plug in the number and it tells you the bonus. Like the savage worlds raise calculator.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

PrinceEarwig wrote:Guys, rolling the dice and calculating bonus numbers is great and all.. But what happens when I spend a possibility, then play a hero card, then play a drama card, then take into account my up result.
You're just going to end up with 5 separate dice totals that you'll need to add up and work out the bonus number for.

This is the main reason I am not going to bother automating the bonus number calculation for Fantasy Grounds... well until I can get a little on screen app where you just plug in the number and it tells you the bonus. Like the savage worlds raise calculator.

I don't understand...it works fine. During normal table play you do the same thing, so I'm not following.

As far as the bold, we already have that.

As far as combat options and such, I think I will have a pull down menu that asks what you are doing.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Maybe I am not understanding how the powercards thing works then.
At what point does the powercards app throw out the bonus number?
Is it after the dice stops exploding?
or is it once you've stopped spending resource for additional rolls?

Because the bonus number isn't calculated from each separate iteration of the dice, its at the end after all possible additional rolls have been made.

ie. Roll dice 10, 20,5 spend possibility roll 10, 18. That's a single roll of 63 for a bonus of 16 not two separate rolls of 35 and 18 for a 10 and a 5.

It's this player choice of continuing the roll that is pushing me towards an enter the total and churn out the value rather than working it from the dice immediately.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm

There is an endless array of options you can create.

All you do for spending possibilities or Up is finish rolling then plug in your die roll into the little field that pops up.

As far as me GMing, I also have a macro that rolls an exploding 20 sider that immediately shows me the bonus. When you are GMing that time saved is important. I could, and probably will, have a dialog box that asks you to pick combat options and includes those also. Just depends on how much time you wanna save.

PowerCards just allows for more autmation and outputs things in a pretty manner. Which you can also do without it, but w/e...

Speaking of FG, it sure would be nice for TORGE to be an official module...

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Ah, I was just looking at your d20 macro.

Kewl

GreenXLantern

Postby GreenXLantern » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

PrinceEarwig wrote:Guys, rolling the dice and calculating bonus numbers is great and all.. But what happens when I spend a possibility, then play a hero card, then play a drama card, then take into account my up result.

That's why I included the manual entry. In cases where you get an Up or Possibility use, you can roll a d20 and just manually enter the final total.

Marko

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

So for the cards I am using the "playing field" down at the bottom of the maps for the Pool Cards and the Drama Deck.

You just add a few extra units (squares) at the bottom of your maps and have each player play their pool cards underneath their names (using the text tool).

PrinceE how are you doing them in FG?

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Well the Core RPG module, which is what most non official rule sets are built via has a character sheet option for "cards"
The Card Table module allows the rolling of a random card from the table and the player then drags that from the chat window onto their character sheet.
The most awkward element currently is finding some way to manage pool versus hand.
Until someone with actual coding skills steps up, I'm going to have to use the facility to use the quick slots at the bottom of the screen to dock "cards" and represent the pool this way.

It is not "elegant" :D

But it will do, for now.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”