Online Gaming

bioramaxwell
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Online Gaming

Postby bioramaxwell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:03 am

I was wondering if anyone had considered running TORG Eternity online, and if so, how were you going to deal with the card?

lurkingowl
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby lurkingowl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:54 am

I've played in two Roll20 games. Both GMs created decks, using the "Shop" pdf to export images for each card and backs for each deck. It sounded a little time consuming. On GM suggested getting the paid version of Acrobat for a day to export easier.

Unfrotunately, everyone has to build there own, I don't think Ulisses is going to create a shareable online asset.

User avatar
Gargoyle
Posts: 525
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 am

This is the thread you are looking for. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1523

We're playing today. Not sure if there is room in today's game or time to get into it, but Matt Richie is setting this space up to be like a D&D Adventurer's League, with as many players and GMs as possible and lots of games. He's sort of spearheading the online Torg Eternity stuff right now. (thanks Matt).
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 1491
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 am

lurkingowl wrote:I've played in two Roll20 games. Both GMs created decks, using the "Shop" pdf to export images for each card and backs for each deck. It sounded a little time consuming. On GM suggested getting the paid version of Acrobat for a day to export easier.

Unfrotunately, everyone has to build there own, I don't think Ulisses is going to create a shareable online asset.


We've got a lot of stuff ahead of that at the moment, but I wouldn't say we're not going to create one. Just not right now.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Nyarlathotep101
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 am

I have started a biweekly campaign. The card situtation isn't TOO bad if you take the "One card per page" version of the pdf, run it through a converter to make each page of the pdf a jpg and then drag and then build the deck from there (Roll20 has a tool to build decks). Took me about an hour to do the Drama deck, but only because I was taking my time, doing it while watching TV and such

The biggest problem for me is that, compared to other games, the dice in Torg explode funny. Their just is no way to program a macro to explode a d20 on a 10 or 20 or to make a d6 explode on a 5. But that's a minor kvetch, over all

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 1491
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm

The d6 explodes on a '6' but yes. I don't know why there isn't an option for a macro to have a die explode on a certain number rather than above a certain number.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Nyarlathotep101
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Ah, misunderstood something somewhere.

Glad I found out now rather than many, many games in.

Staffan
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Staffan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Nyarlathotep101 wrote:Ah, misunderstood something somewhere.

Glad I found out now rather than many, many games in.

To be clear: the d6 explodes on a 6, but the roll counts as 5+another die.

ZorValachan
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: Online Gaming

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Nyarlathotep101 wrote:I have started a biweekly campaign. The card situtation isn't TOO bad if you take the "One card per page" version of the pdf, run it through a converter to make each page of the pdf a jpg and then drag and then build the deck from there (Roll20 has a tool to build decks). Took me about an hour to do the Drama deck, but only because I was taking my time, doing it while watching TV and such

The biggest problem for me is that, compared to other games, the dice in Torg explode funny. Their just is no way to program a macro to explode a d20 on a 10 or 20 or to make a d6 explode on a 5. But that's a minor kvetch, over all


For roll20 there certainly are macros.

Look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1237

GM Matt has a great video to show both how to make the card decks and use them in game. I didn't have the Acrobat quick method and used the snipping tool. Set up took maybe 2 hours. I was able to get my group familiar with the cards in less than 10 minutes. there are ways to play cards, "trade" card by either "stealing" each others or playing them then taking each others". you can allow everyone to see everyone's hands/pools. actually works out rather nice.

For macros you'll need a pro subscription (I believe) for the explosionss. Both d20 and d6s. Also a nice "what's my bonus number" macro to enter a value and get the bonus without needing to look at the chart.

Add the Power card script API to your game.
Add the macros given (I suggest adding it to character tokens, otherwise it's hard to tell who made the roll)
the d6 bonus dice are funny, but understandable if say you roll a 6, then a 2, instead of showing 5+2 = 7, it will break it down as 6+1. it basically moves a point from the next die back to the explosion die, but the final math works out.

User avatar
Hobbes
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 am

Re: Online Gaming

Postby Hobbes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

Exploding dice can also be done the old fashioned way. When a 10, 20 or 6 comes up, re-roll and add the number yourself. If for some reason that isn't acceptable you should be able to set up a table where 10=10+1d20, and 6=5+1d6. We just re-rolled and added things up, like you would do in person.

We used Roll20 and the deck building tools work fine. It'll even take .pdfs, all you really need to do is get each card on it's own file, takes a couple hours doing so one at a time.


Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests