What are some good any-situation tricks?

Blightcrawler
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm

What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Blightcrawler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Taunt, Intimidation, and Maneuver have obvious availability in almost any situation, with plenty of variety to keep things from getting too boring. Of all the interactions, Trick is the one I have trouble with the most.

If you're fighting sentient beings, the "Look over there!" is always an option, although it can become rote (and unbelievable) if used a second time in the same encounter. If you have some available props, anything from fallen enemies to prepared decoys, those are of course good options. But a lot of times it's hard to fill an imagined space with a tool to use for a trick, or to trick attacking animals without something to throw/distract them with. Even some of the ones I'm thinking of might be technically maneuvers!

Picture a trickster character who just escaped capture, fighting on a plain or abandoned castle (i.e. forget about improvised material, either on their person or in the environment). What tricks might you come up with for this character (or approve of as GM) to employ?

User avatar
Stewbacca
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 am

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Stewbacca » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Feigning switching weapons
Faking a trip or stumble.
Quick gaze past the shoulder of the opponent, then eyes go wide like there is a great big "whatever" behind them
Faking a weapon jam or malfunction
Actually falling to make it look like you've lost balance and are not properly defended.
Faking getting a piece of clothing caught on nearby "whatever" branch, equipment, machine, vehicle, team member.

I know you said non-enviroment, but these might bring up some ideas:

Kicking up dust, dirt, sand into opponent's eyes. Or scooping up and throwing.
Quick throw something at their torso or head (you know how you react when someone fast chucks a basketball at you) Throwing anything just about
Pull down something above eye level- branch, awning, sign, or anything like that with pooled water, rain or snow on it.
Throwing a switch to turn on a piece of equipment

I don't know if any of these help or not.

User avatar
bchoinski
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby bchoinski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm not sure how hard core people run their games, but I will probably run with a "no generics, no duplicates" rule when we do our games. "No generics" meaning the player can't just say he does a Trick or Taunt, but has to detail what he is doing. "No duplicates" means any subsequent attacks have to be different -- you can't use the same taunt or trick twice in the same scene, you need to come up with something different each time (though I may relax this to 2 or 3 times for really dim opponents).

Encountering the same foe in a different scene allows the same trick -- likely he has forgotten it and don't make the GM have to remember what happened 3 sessions ago. :)
Last edited by bchoinski on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bchoinski
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby bchoinski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Stewbacca wrote:Feigning switching weapons
Faking a trip or stumble.
Quick gaze past the shoulder of the opponent, then eyes go wide like there is a great big "whatever" behind them
Faking a weapon jam or malfunction
Actually falling to make it look like you've lost balance and are not properly defended.
Faking getting a piece of clothing caught on nearby "whatever" branch, equipment, machine, vehicle, team member.

I know you said non-enviroment, but these might bring up some ideas:

Kicking up dust, dirt, sand into opponent's eyes. Or scooping up and throwing.
Quick throw something at their torso or head (you know how you react when someone fast chucks a basketball at you) Throwing anything just about
Pull down something above eye level- branch, awning, sign, or anything like that with pooled water, rain or snow on it.
Throwing a switch to turn on a piece of equipment

I don't know if any of these help or not.


"Look! A baby wolf!" :D

Savioronedge
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 pm

My favorite film example of the Trick skill must have been a Glory roll: "Look! Air!" Pike to a vampire in Buffey the Vampire Slayer .

Classic examples are causing a noise from a different direction and feinting.

User avatar
Stewbacca
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 am

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Stewbacca » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

John Belushi! My friends and I throw out the "Look, a baby wolf" to this day!

Padre
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Padre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm

My personal favorite example is "Look, the Goodyear Blimp!" from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

User avatar
bchoinski
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby bchoinski » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Stewbacca wrote:John Belushi! My friends and I throw out the "Look, a baby wolf" to this day!


Same here, usually when we are having lunch and some goes to steal a french-fry. :)

User avatar
Rabbitball
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Padre wrote:My personal favorite example is "Look, the Goodyear Blimp!" from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.


Then there's the variation from an old B. F. Goodrich commercial:

"Look, it's the Goodrich Blimp!"

and then a few seconds later, "Goodrich doesn't have a blimp!"
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering
Invertebrate punster—spinelessly unable to resist making a pun. "So slug me!"

Staffan
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: What are some good any-situation tricks?

Postby Staffan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:41 am

Rabbitball wrote:
Padre wrote:My personal favorite example is "Look, the Goodyear Blimp!" from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.


Then there's the variation from an old B. F. Goodrich commercial:

"Look, it's the Goodrich Blimp!"

and then a few seconds later, "Goodrich doesn't have a blimp!"

Everybody needs to get a blimp.


Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests