House Rules

Gargoyle

House Rules

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Post 'em. The point of this is to help other GMs who may want to get their house rules together early on. At the very least, I'm always curious about what other GMs are doing. Post them in the following format, with the name of the rule, a short description, and then the intent or rationale.

Only post what you're going to at least try to use for sure at your table, please. Personally I only have a couple inspired from oTorg. I might cap level advancement if it goes too fast, but for now these are my only non-RAW house rules.

GM’s Fiat

Up to three times per dramatic scene at the beginning of a round the GM may remove the top four cards from the Drama deck, select one for the conflict line they want, and discard the other three.

Intent: The GM can do whatever they want, but this is a way for the GM to make things easier or more difficult in a transparent way. So if the dice are treating the players badly, the GM can use a fiat to make things easier, or if things are getting dull, the GM can select a conflict line that is harder. This is a rule from old Torg.

Don't Track Ammunition

Don't bother tracking normal ammo, except to figure out if you need to take the reload action; do account for that. Running out of ammo can happen as a result of a setback, mishap, or some other event. Using rapid fire or full auto option a lot can encourage the GM to declare that you're running low or out. You are assumed to restock ammo before the beginning of an Act. In Orrorsh, you do need to track ammunition. Special ammunition and explosives must always be tracked.

Intent: Torg is a cinematic game and I'd rather not have players spending their time bookkeeping.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ProfessorK

Re: House Rules

Postby ProfessorK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Hrm. How "house" do you want? In my home settings I do some things that are hard/impossible to reconcile with TORG as printed.

Split Stats

One of the biggest is that I took the original TORG stats and split many of them. My list is:
Strength, Toughness, Agility, Deftness,WillPower, Sprituality, Perception, Cognition, Beauty and Leadership.
(DEX => AGI/DFT, SPI => WILL/SPI, CHR => BTY/LDR, MND => Perception/Cognition)

Intent:
I find this gives a resolution to stats that I prefer and solves stat confusion issues like the ancient D&D CHR problem (low attarctiveness but high charisma) exemplified by this man...

Last edited by ProfessorK on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Damage/effect based on level of success

I also use the "effect is success points + STAT - RESISTANCE" formulation.
For instance if I am hitting someone with s STR+3 Club, damage is STR+3+<amount of sucess points over minimal achieved> - TOU

Intent
Eliminates the glass jaw problem and makes damage a factor of how well you hit, thus implicitly handling thinsg like head-shots

Side-effect
I had to make DEX more expensive then other stats because it figures into both your hit chances AND your damage.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:37 pm

ProfessorK wrote:Hrm. How "house" do you want? In my home settings I do some things that are hard/impossible to reconcile with TORG as printed.

I'd prefer rules that you think others might want to use but if you think others would be interested by it or you want feedback on it that's cool too.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Subperks

I will sort Perks into groups. The overlying Perk is treated as normal for aquiring Perks, the underlying are bought with 3 XP each.
F.i. Overlying Perk: Faith, underlying: conviction, lay on hands, protected, spirit bane, miracles (each miracle being an underlying perk all by itself)

Intent: in oTorg SFX-wielder had lots of SFX. In TorgE they are limited to only a handfull, a mage has access to only a handful of spells, a priest can use only a handful of miracles. While this may be OK for starting characters, it diminishes the potential of these characters. I want to give them more scope by that.

Sideeffect: I probably will make it cheaper to buy miracles, spells etc when learning them out of a book or from a teacher (probably 1 XP per spell)
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Here's a house rule you may find useful:

Simple Actions
As per the rules you get 2 simple actions a turn. Any action that does not involve rolling dice is considered a simple action.

Intent
This takes one more GM call thing off the GMs shoudlers by giving clear guidelines. It also recognizes that what is simple for one character is not necessarily simple for another.
Example: An Aysle Ogre may be able to break down a locked door on a run just based on STR damage, where as the whimpy Cyber-papal net-runner can't.

It also allows for momentary heroic things, like maybe that net-runner CAN come charging through the door firing her gun IF she spends Destiny cards on breaking the door in.
Last edited by ProfessorK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I assume you mean any action that never involves rolling a bonus die? Because as written, if I attack, and don't roll a bonus die, that's counted as a simple action. :-)

Actually that means interaction attacks are also simple actions.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09 am

TorgHacker wrote:I assume you mean any action that never involves rolling a bonus die? Because as written, if I attack, and don't roll a bonus die, that's counted as a simple action. :-)

Actually that means interaction attacks are also simple actions.

Hm. I've never suggeted that was remoitely possible to my players (attacking w/o a bonus die) and its never come up. In general I *think* such an attack is likely to fail or do no damage.. but I have to admit I've never really examined that.

What do you mean by interaction action? Do you mean taunt/trick etc? Because AFAIK you roll a bonus die on those like any attack......

OH WAIT A SEC, maybe this is a communication thing.

By Bonus Die I mean the D20, that you look up on the bonus chart, not your new d6 thingie.
Do you call that something else now?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 am

I think we just call it 'the' die.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 am

Okay I made it clearer , thanks :)