House Rules

Ange Gardien

Re: House Rules

Postby Ange Gardien » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Xp creation...
Attributes = 240 xps → 13 = 152 xps, 12 = 126 xps, 11 = 102 xps, 10 = 80 xps, 9 = 60 xps, 8 = 42 xps, 7 = 26 xps, 6 = 12 xps, 5 = 0 xps.
Xps unspent will be given for free at the next attribute increase.
You could go for two 10, an 8, a 7 and a six (240 xps and 41 attributes) or a 12, a 10, a 8, a 6 and a 5 (240 xps and 40 attributes) or one 9 and four 8 (228 xps, 41 attributes and 12 xps left, going from 9 to 10 will only cost 8 xps)
Skills = 30 xps → 3 = 6 xps, 2 = 3 xps, 1 = 1 xps.
Perks = 2 for free.

XP bonus = 0 (beginners), 25 (just to have the missing attributes / perks / skills without which you can play your concept), 50 (ready to fry some dinosaurs), 100 (I've done one or two wars, son)

Perks : Oh boy, it will never cost you more than 13 xps, once you have to pay 13 xps, the perk's cost doesn't increase. And i'm thinking 4 from the beginning.

Magic/psionic/faith : 2 spells per perks after the first one.

The attributes costs
8 everywhere = 210 xps (30 xps, a 9 et 12 xps)
9 (60 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 7 (26 xps), 212 xps (28 xps → a 10 and 8 xps)
9 (60 xps), 9 (60xps), 8 (42 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 214 xps (26 xps → un 10 and 6 xps)
9 (60 xps), 9 (60xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 6 (12 xps), 216 xps (24 xps → un 10 and 4 xps)
9 (60 xps), 9 (60xps), 9 (60 xps), 7 (26 xps), 6 (12 xps), 218 xps (22 xps → a 10 and 2 xps)
10 (80 xps), 9 (60 xps), 8 (42 xps), 7 (26 xps), 6 (12 xps), 220 xps (20 xps → a 9 to 10)
10 (80 xps), 9 (60 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 218 xps (22 xps → a 10 to 11)
10 (80 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 216 xps (24 xps → a10 to 11 and 2 xps)
10 (80 xps), 9 (60 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 5 (0 xps), 224 xps (16 xps → a 6, and 4 xps)
10 (80 xps), 10 (80 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 6 (12 xps), 224 xps (16 xps → a 7)
10 (80 xps), 10 (80 xps), 8 (42 xps), 6 (12 xps), 6 (12 xps), 226 xps (14 xps → a 7)
10 (80 xps), 10 (80 xps), 9 (60 xps), 6 (12 xps), 5 (0 xps), 232 xps (8 xps)
11 (102 xps), 9 (60 xps), 9 (60 xps), 6 (12 xps), 5 (0 xps), 234 xps (6 xps)
11 (102 xps), 10 (80 xps), 7 (26 xps), 6 (12 xps), 6 (12 xps), 232 xps (8 xps)
11 (102 xps), 10 (80 xps), 7 (26 xps), 7 (26 xps), 5 (0 xps), 234 xps (6 xps)
11 (102 xps), 10 (80 xps), 8 (42 xps), 6 (12 xps), 5 (0 xps), 236 xps (4 xps)
12 (126 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 6 ( 12xps), 6 (12 xps), 234 xps (6xps)
12 (126 xps), 8 (42 xps), 8 (42 xps), 7 (26 xps), 5 (0 xps), 236 xps (4xps)
12 (126 xps), 9 (60xps), 8 (42 xps), 6 ( 12xps), 5 (0 xps), 240 xps
13 (152 xps), 8 (42xps), 7 (26 xps), 6 ( 12xps), 6 (12 xps), 244 xps (-4 xps)

The other way is by the rules for the attributes, but they only cost 18 xps to increase. Far more simple ;) And prevents all kind of minimaxing.

Farast

Postby Farast » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:04 pm

I really really don't like systems that have different costs for things based on if they were bought during character creation or during the game.

Unfortunately that is how Torg is set up with a 5 8's character versus a 11,11,8,5,5 character if both want to end up with at 11, 11, 8, 8, 8 character it will cost the first 120 expand the second only 84 exp. I haven't figured out a good way to deal with this for stats but for skills there is a nice and simple fix. All characters will start with 2 skills at 3, 3 skills at 2 and 4 skills at 1. That will encourage people to buy more interesting skills and be more rounded individuals.

Ange provided an option for stats but I feel that is too much effort for not enough reward. However I can't figure out a simpler version so I will probably just keep the standard option.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Converting characters from OT to TE left the Weird Scientists of 2 groups feeling blue...)

Profession (Weird Scientist) House Rule:
Pulp Powers: You buy them and you have them as long as you don’t disconnect or a limitation says otherwise.
Gadget Hero: You’ve been given a gadget(s) and that is your thing. You’re not a Weird Scientist, so can’t modify it or anything. It’s a minor limitation (half an enhancement).
Profession (Weird Scientist): You are the tinkerer who messes with gadgets. This skill will allow you to do certain things.
1) If your Profession (Weird Scientist) Adds are more than your number of Pulp Power perks, you can choose another gadget and choose from those gadgets equal to the Pulp Power perks.
Ex: you have Weird Scientist at 3 and 2 Pulp Power Perks. You have 3 gadgets and each adventure you choose which 2 you take with you.
2) With a DN 12, you can take a scene to “deconstruct” a gadget and another scene to “reconstruct a gadget”.
Ex: Scene 1 you take your force field belt, but you want it to be a flight belt. Scene 2 you make a Skill Total DN 12, and if successful you deconstruct it. Scene 3 you make another DN 12 Total and “reconstruct” it into the flight belt. It is ready to use at the start of Scene 4. Failure wastes a scene (nothing is accomplished and your gadget is in pieces and can't be used until you succeed in deconstructing or reconstructing).
3) Between Scenes or Acts, you can “Readjust” the gadget. Basically, either switch out a limitation or enhancement (not both and you can’t get rid of limitations altogether and can’t add more than 1 enhancement. DN 10. If you fail, you can’t use the gadget until the next Scene is over and it is then with the original limitation/enhancement.
4) During a Scene you can “McGyver” parts from one thing and make a gizmo (1 time use in 1 Scene). It needs to make sense in a loose fashion. The GM and player can work out (with GM being final arbitrator) the DN and the effect.
Ex: You take apart a vacuum cleaner and make a device that sucks up Ghosts, containing them for 1 Scene.
Since the Profession (Weird Scientist) is a lot more versatile than just a hero with a Pulp Power (with or without a gadget), do expect the GM to make setbacks affect the gadget and Possibly you’ll have to choose out of your Gadgets which gets decayed in the Living Land.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 am

ZorValachan wrote:Converting characters from OT to TE left the Weird Scientists of 2 groups feeling blue...)

Profession (Weird Scientist) House Rule:

My recommendation, at least until The Powers That Be release the Nile book, would be to make Weird Scientist a perk instead of a skill, with the perk opening up the Science skill to... unorthodox uses. In the spirit of your other suggestions, I would give this perk the following effects:

1. It lets you buy Gadgets as perks. Gadgets are basically pulp powers that automatically have the Gadget limitation without getting any benefit from it.
2. You get one Gadget as part of the Weird Scientist perk.
3. When you have some downtime (most Act changes would qualify), you can swap out Gadgets by rebuilding them.
4. In an emergency, you can jury-rig one of your Gadgets into another, temporary, Gadget with a DN 12 Science roll (taking a minute). This lets you swap out one Gadget for another, but at the end of the scene the new Gadget burns out leaving you with neither until you get some downtime to rebuild it. Perhaps this should be a Dramatic Skill Resolution or something - at least if you try to do it in rounds.
5. Assorted minor weird science stuff.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 pm

@Steffan. You are probably right about it being a Perk.

As a Torg player in 1992 and as GM since 1993 (and only GMing since then), I of course bring my own "baggage" to TE. I like the concept of perks for things that had adventure costs (pulp powers, attribute boosts, etc.) or that allowed you to do special things (spells, miracles). I'm still not sold on the things with subsystems being completely gutted though. I quite enjoyed cyberpsychosis, spellcrafting and the like. People would choose "Do I want a Pos cost or a possible major mess-up?" the system allowed both. TE is everything is Perks. At least they can be bought with XP.

in TE I see Perks for allowing Spellcasting and Psionics, and even Cyberware (cleaning). But the actual limiting spells/miracles, etc. just grates.

I thought about the Profession Skill and thought Profession (Weird Scientist) might work and then this was posted by Eric:

"There are 40 skills in the core book, and no skills will be introduced in future books. Any of those cosm specific skills are retasked as Perks, which may utilize one of the skills in the core book, even if it's something like profession (weird scientist)."

and I went with that. Science is probably a better choice with a Weird Science Perk, so that in the long run there is less XP to have to be divided between 2 skills.

My players loved Boosting/Compensating items. So I will leave some vestige of that in swapping limitations/enhancements.

Is a Weird Scientist Perk that gives you a gadget (basically Pulp Power with benefits fo swapping out things) too much? Should it just allow you to do the tinkering? So a starting Nile Pulp Power girl would have 2 starting Pulp Power Perks and a Nile Weird Scientist guy would have Perk-Weird Scientist and 1 Pulp Power gadget as his? Her's are set, but she gets 2. His is fluid, but 1....

BTW: I love the Dramatic Skill Resolution idea for doing it in rounds.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Farast wrote:I really really don't like systems that have different costs for things based on if they were bought during character creation or during the game.

Unfortunately that is how Torg is set up with a 5 8's character versus a 11,11,8,5,5 character if both want to end up with at 11, 11, 8, 8, 8 character it will cost the first 120 expand the second only 84 exp. I haven't figured out a good way to deal with this for stats but for skills there is a nice and simple fix. All characters will start with 2 skills at 3, 3 skills at 2 and 4 skills at 1. That will encourage people to buy more interesting skills and be more rounded individuals.

Ange provided an option for stats but I feel that is too much effort for not enough reward. However I can't figure out a simpler version so I will probably just keep the standard option.

Make it like buying Perks.
Choose a Base cost (let's say 10, but you could do whatever XP you decide)
First attribute point (anywhere) is 10Xp
2nd attribute point (anywhere) is 12XP
3rd is 14XP and so on.

With the way attributes are given now at creation, that will get every human to 13 in every attribute at the same XP cost.

or, in your example
8 to 13 is 5
8 to 13 is 5
8 to 13 is 5
8 to 13 is 5
8 to 13 is 5
25 total "points"

and

11 to 13 is 2
11 to 13 is 2
8 to 13 is 5
5 to 13 is 8
5 to 13 is 8
25 total "points"

either way that first is 10, then 12, 14, 16, 18, etc. (850 total XP if you start at 10 and increase by 2 for each point)
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Alternate Reconnection Numbers based on Degree of Offense:

Instead of using the reconnection values based on the zone, use a value based on how much the tool use violated the Axioms of both the player and the local reality. Take the Axiom level of the tool and first subtract the Axiom level of the character. If this is negative, treat it as zero. Then do the same thing for the Axiom Level of the local reality, again treating negative values as zero.

This assumes that every tool has at least one Axiom Level. If it's something from a World Law, such as Pulp Powers, assign it Axiom Levels from its home reality based on what makes the most sense. A tool can be considered to have multiple Axiom Levels (such as an enchanted sword, which would have both a Tech and Magic Axiom), in which case all relevant Axioms need to be checked and added together.

This rule is for those people who want to emphasize the differences between the Axiom Levels by making it easier to reconnect when the differences are small (longbow in Living Land) and harder when the differences are great (GodMeeter in Living Land).
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm

House Rule, when re-connecting Items that are not supported by the local Reality or the PC's Axioms/World Laws are either transformed to something appropriate to the local reality or cease to function until "Re-connected". Player/GM call based on what is more amusing.

House Rule, Characters with Wealth Perk will get a re-supply drop if gear is lost. Similar to the other assorted Gear as Perks, your stuff comes back for the next Act if you spent a Perk on it.

House Rule, respec after the first session, and again when the Cosm book drops if desired. (our group actually has been doing this for most games for years... )

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Hobbes wrote:House Rule, respec after the first session, and again when the Cosm book drops if desired. (our group actually has been doing this for most games for years... )

Same here - no sense in hamstringing players when they're just learning the system, or because something more appropriate came out later :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 am

Back Blast

Reason for the Rule:
Several anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons designed for use by infantry produce a large blast, as hot gases are expelled out the back end of the weapon. These weapons include rocket launchers and recoilless rifles. This is called a Back Blast and is dangerous to anyone standing behind the weapon when it is fired. This is a new trait for those weapons.

Back Blast:
The Back Blast area is a conical zone extending 15 meters from the back of the weapon. Consider this a Medium Burst Area attack with a damage value of 13. Also, the gases are hot and may ignite flammable material in the area. If the weapon is fired in an enclosed space, anyone in the Back Blast area is attacked as usual, and in addition everyone else in the enclosed area is also subjected to an attack with a damage value of 12, including the person firing the weapon.

Further Explanation:
Using the same attack value and blast size for every weapon is of course an over simplification, but keeping things simple seems to fit with the design philosophy of Torg Eternity.

Weapons listed in the Core Rules that should have the Back Blast trait include:
LAW Rocket
Stinger AA Missile
TOW Anti-Tank
Bazooka

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”