House Rules

pkitty

Re: House Rules

Postby pkitty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 am

Right, I know. The "you" in my post was aimed at the people who want to change this as a house rule. IMO either change all attribute-buff perks in your game or leave them be.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:51 pm

pkitty wrote:Right, I know. The "you" in my post was aimed at the people who want to change this as a house rule. IMO either change all attribute-buff perks in your game or leave them be.

Which is what i do. I just used super attribute and super skill as examples, because they were readily on my mind. But the house rule is nothing directly increases an attribute or skill.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:20 am

There are some items in the Heavy Weapons & Explosives table that I found puzzling. For example, a 0.3 kg block of C4 is given an AP value of 10, while a Hellfire missile, with an 8 kg HEAT warhead is given an AP value of only 4. So, I created a new table. I also added backblast rules and information for rocket launchers and recoilless rifles, for those that may want to include that in their games.
Attachments
Torg House Rules Heavy Weapons 1.jpg
Torg House Rules Heavy Weapons 1.jpg (761.25 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
Torg House Rules Heavy Weapons 2.jpg
Torg House Rules Heavy Weapons 2.jpg (807.91 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:22 pm

C4 should have better AP because it can be placed deliberately at weak points by a skilled demolitionist. A missile is just an exploding projectile.

Think of trying to get past a giant door made of thick, high-grade materials. You hit it with a missile and it withstands the blast. Or you pack its hinges with C4 and detonate it, and while the door itself is undamaged it falls out of the frame.

This is just speculation on my part about the reasoning for the stats here.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Atama wrote:C4 should have better AP because it can be placed deliberately at weak points by a skilled demolitionist.
Shouldn’t that situation be covered by the Called Shot/Vital Blow rules, instead of just arbitrarily assigning a high AP value?

Atama wrote:A missile is just an exploding projectile.

Actually, a bit more than that. A basic Hellfire missile is laser guided, and the warhead explosion is design to create a hypersonic jet to cut through armor.

Blocks of explosives, such as dynamite and C4 can defeat armor, but they do so by shear brute force. They do not have a specific armor penetrating mechanism, such as a hypersonic jet or a kinetic penetrator.

However, this isn’t really all that important for Torg, as the use of heavy weapons and explosives aren’t all that common in the game. Also, I’m not saying that using the table I created will improve your own game or make it more enjoyable. Since I did go to the effort to do the research and make the table, I just thought I would share what I did.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Rocketeer wrote:
Atama wrote:C4 should have better AP because it can be placed deliberately at weak points by a skilled demolitionist.
Shouldn’t that situation be covered by the Called Shot/Vital Blow rules, instead of just arbitrarily assigning a high AP value?

Atama wrote:A missile is just an exploding projectile.

Actually, a bit more than that. A basic Hellfire missile is laser guided, and the warhead explosion is design to create a hypersonic jet to cut through armor.

Blocks of explosives, such as dynamite and C4 can defeat armor, but they do so by shear brute force. They do not have a specific armor penetrating mechanism, such as a hypersonic jet or a kinetic penetrator.

However, this isn’t really all that important for Torg, as the use of heavy weapons and explosives aren’t all that common in the game. Also, I’m not saying that using the table I created will improve your own game or make it more enjoyable. Since I did go to the effort to do the research and make the table, I just thought I would share what I did.

I was mostly playing devil’s advocate there (not that US is the Devil, more likely a High Lord pawn ;)) but I enjoy your work. I didn’t mean to poop all over it, I like your attention to detail.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 am

Atama wrote:I was mostly playing devil’s advocate there (not that US is the Devil, more likely a High Lord pawn ;)) but I enjoy your work. I didn’t mean to poop all over it,

Not at all; no problem having assumptions and conclusions challenged. I have been known to overlook a thing or two…from time to time. :)

Atama wrote:I like your attention to detail.

Thanks.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 am

If I ever run I'm nerfing falling damage. A 30 foot drop being more effective attack than most of the weapons in the book doesn't feel particularly cinematic to me and I won't have to worry about using kluge after kluge to keep players from finding new and interesting ways to drop people.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:25 pm

vaminion wrote:If I ever run I'm nerfing falling damage. A 30 foot drop being more effective attack than most of the weapons in the book doesn't feel particularly cinematic to me and I won't have to worry about using kluge after kluge to keep players from finding new and interesting ways to drop people.

Falling damage needs fixing, but someone on the forums already did a good job of it here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2612&start=30#p24756

The short version: To find damage (+1BD) for any fall of 5+ meters, take the Torg value of the distance (in meters), subtract 3, and multiply by 5 (max 40). For example, if someone falls 13 meters, that's Value 5, minus 3 is 2, and 2 * 5 = Damage 10 +1BD.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”