House Rules

Kuildeous

Re: House Rules

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:14 pm

After having run an event where one Storm Knight had a gun and everyone else was in melee, I ruled this one quickly. I may make it a permanent house rule.

If you use the Aim action, you negate the chance to shoot an ally in melee with your target.

Reasoning: It's thematic. Also, wasting one action to harm your ally is painful enough. Wasting two actions is even worse, especially since one of those actions is the opposite of chaos.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

I approve of this.

Actually, I wish we'd thought of this. Definitely would be a good idea for (part) of a Perk.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 pm

I have gambled on shooting into melee more than once and have lost, and it's super painful and annoying and so I quickly will adopt that rule.

I like it as a general rule more than as part of a perk because the more actions you bake into perks, the less everyone without the perk can do. It was an issue with feats when they were first introduced in D&D 3e. "Sorry you can't try that, you don't have the feat".
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am

If it ends up perk based, it definitely needs to be part of Sniper.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I might go slightly further and either say that when firing into melee you can take a -4 penalty to hit to ignore the chance of hitting the wrong target, or that firing into melee gives a -4, since the first option will almost certainly result in my players always choosing the -4. It's also easy to remember, since D&D 3e/Pathfinder already have that rule. Also, the aim action then effectively counters that, although it doesn't counter it and give a bonus.

And then it only makes sense to have a perk that counters the penalty for firing into melee, probably with Sniper as prerequisite.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Oh! Also, in Pan Pacifica, there should be a special rule that if you don't have the special perk, when you fire into melee, you always hit your ally.

#zombicide

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:I might go slightly further and either say that when firing into melee you can take a -4 penalty to hit to ignore the chance of hitting the wrong target, or that firing into melee gives a -4, since the first option will almost certainly result in my players always choosing the -4. It's also easy to remember, since D&D 3e/Pathfinder already have that rule. Also, the aim action then effectively counters that, although it doesn't counter it and give a bonus.

And then it only makes sense to have a perk that counters the penalty for firing into melee, probably with Sniper as prerequisite.

I've considered making the rule an either/or. Either Aim gives you +4 or Aim lets you negate the chance to hit an ally. I have a hard time justifying the former thematically. It's like, in the 20 seconds it took for you to take a shot, there wasn't ever an opportune moment where you had a clear shot? I'm inclined to say that Aim will always negate that chance. Whether or not it also provides a +4 is debatable. I'd like to provide some sort of numerical bonus. Meeting halfway and applying +2 would be fitting, but that's tacking on yet another rule to remember. It's pretty easy to remember that Aim gives +4, and I just apply what I consider to be a natural consequence of missing your ally.

The -4 to not hit an ally in general is possible. I'll think on that. It is easy to remember since half my group knows D&D 3e. It wouldn't be intuitive to the half that doesn't.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:27 pm

The chance of hitting an ally is a very serious drawback to firing into melee, so I suspect that is intentional as a way of curbing the power of Fire Combat, which was really, really good in OTorg so much that some people thought it overshadowed the other combat skills. It worked in some form in almost every cosm, it did healthy damage with no stat investment, it worked as well in melee as at range, it was just great.

Just sticking a -4 on firing into melee, or letting people negate all penalties by Aiming, makes Fire Combat better again. Which might lead to it being the uber combat skill again, when I think a design goal was to make the other skills close to equally good.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:24 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:Just sticking a -4 on firing into melee, or letting people negate all penalties by Aiming, makes Fire Combat better again.

It does make Fire Combat better, but there are two benefits I see for allowing this:

a) It consumes an action, so you take one shot every two actions, which is far less effective than the melee guy whacking every action.
b) It keeps the action going, as the ranged person doesn't feel like he has to sit out the entire combat when the other Storm Knights get into a brawl with the remaining edeinos warlord.

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Kuildeous wrote:After having run an event where one Storm Knight had a gun and everyone else was in melee, I ruled this one quickly. I may make it a permanent house rule.

If you use the Aim action, you negate the chance to shoot an ally in melee with your target.

Reasoning: It's thematic. Also, wasting one action to harm your ally is painful enough. Wasting two actions is even worse, especially since one of those actions is the opposite of chaos.

Instead of totally negating the chance to hit an ally, I think a perk (or maybe aiming) could allow any Bonus Dice to be subtracted from the damage, instead of adding to it. Therefore, on an outstanding success, even if an ally is hit, the result will likely just be shock damage or less.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”