Alternative Failure Modes for Spells, Miracles, Psionics

TorgHacker

Alternative Failure Modes for Spells, Miracles, Psionics

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 pm

One of the things that changed during development was at one point we did have different effects for failing to activate a spell, miracle, or psionic power. We ended up getting rid of that since it was a bit fiddly and often people didn't remember, and it was taking up needed space it wasn't earning, not only in the book but on other things like character sheets, the GM screen, and whether or not they were really different enough in the first place.

We may still see some of them in Perks that modify backlash while gaining some other benefit.

However, _I_ liked them. :lol:

I checked with Darrell, and we're okay with having them as a house rule. Note this isn't an official rule.

So here's what it was, with some modifications given my preferences...since it's my house rule dammit I'm going with my preferences. :lol:

Spells

In all cases, a failure (but not a Mishap) to cast causes 2 Shock. On a Mishap the effect which depends on what kind of spellcaster you are:

Aysle Mage: The caster takes 2 Shock and becomes Very Stymied.

Core Earth Dabbler: The caster takes 2 Shock and loses connection with Earth's ley lines and can no longer cast spells until the end of the scene.

Cyberwitch or Cyberwarlock: The caster takes 1 BD Shock. This is in addition to the Cyberpapacy's Law of Heretical Magic if the caster is subject to that reality.

Nile Empire Sorcerer: The caster must discard his entire hand, then draw the same number of Destiny cards. If the sorcerer doesn't have any cards, randomly replace a card in the action pool with a new Destiny Card. If an NPC has a Mishap, one random player may draw a Destiny card.

Orrorsh Occultist: The caster takes 2 Shock, but no additional effect. The Gaunt Man wants practitioners to explore the dark arts!

Tharkold Acolyte: Thralls suffer 2 Shock, and all technodemons within 10 kilometers are alerted. The creatures can home in on such things and often send their minions to bring them the pitiful human who attracted their attention.

Miracles

On a failure the invoker becomes Doubtful, and takes a -2 penalty on invoking additional miracles until the next scene.

On a Mishap, the invoker becomes Very Doubtful, and takes a -4 penalty on invoking additional miracles until the next scene. If the invoker is already Very Doubtful, she cannot invoke miracles at all until the next scene.

Psionics

On a failure the psi takes 2 Shock.

On a Mishap, the psi takes 2 Shock and 1 Wound which may be soaked normally.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Nyarlathotep

Re: Alternative Failure Modes for Spells, Miracles, Psionics

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I like this a bit better than them all being the same from skill to skill and cosm to cosm.

Faerol

Postby Faerol » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes! Thanks for posting this. Adds just a little something extra to each "spell caster" flavor. I will probably use it as is in my game.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm

I especially like the miracles setback. It sticks to the intent of oTorg's crisis of faith but is less harsh
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:43 pm

As it reads, Mishap penalties are in addition to Failure penalties, so some are looking at 4 shock or more, correct?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:53 pm

No. I've edited.

Yes, this means that sometimes a cyberwitch only takes one Shock. Magic is fickle that way. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 pm

You say the Aysle mage becomes very vulnerable on a mishap. Did you mean very stymied, which is the official rule? I would have assumed the official rule you settled on would be based on one of the flavours you had before.

Second, when a cybermage mishaps can the BD of shock explode (along with the mage)?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes, I was copying from the old rulebook. I've edited the OP to account.

It's Very Stymied.

And yes, the Cyberwitch's Shock can explode. :twisted:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:One of the things that changed during development was at one point we did have different effects for failing to activate a spell, miracle, or psionic power. We ended up getting rid of that since it was a bit fiddly and often people didn't remember, and it was taking up needed space it wasn't earning, not only in the book but on other things like character sheets, the GM screen, and whether or not they were really different enough in the first place.

We may still see some of them in Perks that modify backlash while gaining some other benefit.

However, _I_ liked them. :lol:

Thank you for this. I think our group will go this way - the additional complexity is moderate and worth it for the flavour. The miracle penalty is in line with the others.

I had noticed when the rules came out that there had been a change since the preview: http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... -psionics/

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Yeah, I was rather sad to see that go away. Now that you've posted this, I may consider using it for my home game. Depends on what spellcasters are chosen, if any.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”